PDA

View Full Version : My turn to EXHAUST!!!! (or vent)

MOW ED
11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
:dizzy:
I've been kickin tail on leaves with my Toro 62" with atomic blades. Mulching machine. I was out today on my last property that this machine was gonna be used for and I heard a change in my exhaust pitch. The change got REAL LOUD. I stopped and looked to find that not only did the pipes at the muffler came out, the bracket that holds the works up had cracked in 2 places. BTW that bracket is put on thin steel. There are 310 hours on the 26EFI.

I am thinking that the guy who was talking about a surcharge being price gouging in another thread. I am not saying that Toro is gouging me but as of this posting it cost me $0.86 per hour for that muffler. For those of you who don't want to break the pencil out that replacement cost is $268.00

I just had to laugh because anything else would just be a waste of energy. I can get a whole replacement exhaust system for 2 cars for the same price. So when the dude says why do you have a rediculuous surcharge and you are stealing from your customer, remember this little lesson. Unplanned repairs cost money and the do happen. So I worked a little bit to replace the muffler but my costs will be made up when the bills go out, no price gouging here.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-15-2006, 05:57 PM
That crappy,have you got a back up or is the season done.

MOW ED
11-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I finished up with the good old Walker. BTW it also has a 26EFI on it and the thing has 1550 hours with the ORIGINAL muffler. I love my Walker. I really didn't want to bag but it looked excellent when finished.

jpp
11-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Just curious. Could have backed up and hit something to break the welds. Low tree limb or something. I have busted two mufflers by backing up and hitting a low wall. Then it would go out later that day or the next day.

But at those hours the welds should have held that is for sure.

JP

ALarsh
11-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm willing to bet that you backed into something.

MOW ED
11-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Ya know anything is possible as far as hitting something. I don't recall any big hits or even small ones but I am sure that it is a good possibility that I did hit something at some time.
I am not really upset about it, it happens. Get this, my dealer will have one for me from the factory tomorrow. I love Reinders in Wisconsin.

Idealtim
11-15-2006, 06:47 PM
for that price I would of tried to weld it first. Is that possible?

Jpocket
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
NOW YOU HAVE STrAIGHT PIPES !!!! Just put some Chrome tips on there an let er rip!

JK

Classified
11-15-2006, 07:37 PM
NOW YOU HAVE STrAIGHT PIPES !!!! Just put some Chrome tips on there an let er rip!

JK

its funny cause i thought the same thing, lol

jrc lawncare
11-15-2006, 07:43 PM
for that price I would of tried to weld it first. Is that possible?i agree. A good welder could easily repair that. For much less.

MattsMowing3535
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I thought the strait pipes looked awsome too. . . lol
If you ever in the Minneapolis area drop the muffler off. Im a preety good welder and a little oxy/act should weld up preety nice on there. I suppose It would have to be welded well on the mower though. . . thats never fun :dizzy:

Jusmowin
11-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Ah hell, just weld some super 40 Flowmasters on that bad boy and let it rip:) :)

LindblomRJ
11-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I was thinking glasspacks. Couple of old cherry bombs. Then the crome tips. The clients might not like it though.

Runner
11-15-2006, 08:38 PM
We've repaired them before on Lazers. We build a reenforcement bracket to hold them, and they are better than new. We discovered this when we rebuilt the Kohlers. I'll try to get some pics. Incidentally, I know it probably isn't much consolation to you now, but a new muffler for that is about 150 bucks through J Thomas.

cantoo
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Weld it up and keep it for a spare. And make sure you reinforce the bracket.
I need to do the one on my Walker before it gets worse.

Oldtimer
11-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Unplug the computer before you weld on the mower.

There is a good chance the O2 sensor will have to be replaced unless the muffler hit something and the engine was shut down immediately. After you replace the muffler take the mower to a dealer and run a scan.

Oldtimer

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Dang... that sucks...

And... I do have to agree that I think the price for replacement is outragous....

Personally, I have never liked that 'type' of exhaust, regardless of orientation.
Rust bucket.

Here again... not in an attempt to take anything away from the 'other' MFG's...
But this is just another one of those "little things" I've learned to love about the Z-two.

This picture was taken for illustrative purposes about 2 months ago.
This mower is in it's second season and has been outdoors 100% of the time since new.
You can see the condition of it's exhaust system...
Quality piece in a logical, protected location
And so far it's only lost one set screw for the exhaust tip.
It has been missing now for 16 months without issue.

Total cost of entire replacement.... $165...
Not cheap, but cheapER... and the need for replacement is much less likely.

jsf343
11-16-2006, 01:02 AM
I finished up with the good old Walker. BTW it also has a 26EFI on it and the thing has 1550 hours with the ORIGINAL muffler. I love my Walker. I really didn't want to bag but it looked excellent when finished.

Wow! now I get to see first hand what the Walker can do with the leaves. Looks nice.

topsites
11-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Yeah I noticed that with my newer Toro as well, it appears some parts are defective from the manufacturing direction. Within hardly a good season's use, my front belt-tensioner bracket cracked in half, cost: $25 parts + 1 hour labor (DIY but still). What frustrated me the worst was the downtime, thou at least it broke in my own yard (a near miracle).

The T-bar was the most interesting part that broke thou it did last 8 years, that stupid T-shaped thing costs 80 dollars!!! Later found out you can have it welded for $25, heh, guess I have a spare.

MOW ED
11-16-2006, 06:33 AM
I am gonna keep the old one and see if we can tack it back together, a nice winter project. Thanks for the offer Matt.
Runner, I looked thru the J Thomas catalog and even called them. They don't stock that one. They referred me to Toro. I do get great service thru my dealer in all respects there, Yes it costs more and I really don't like paying more like anyone else. When I need something they always come thru very quickly.
That thing sounds wicked when there is no muffler, I just ran it a little to move it off the trailer and the windows rattled in the house.
The O2 sensor is being a bugger on the old muffler, I have to try to get it off with some heat wrench today.
Topsites, funny you should post about that Tbar piece. My first one broke under warranty. That must be a manufacturers defect but 80 bucks for that is a rip.
The whole experience just makes me remember why I charge what I do. Now I have to design some type of extra guard and support for this thing.

Oldtimer
11-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Negative on the hot wrench.

Oldtimer

J&R Landscaping
11-16-2006, 11:14 AM

JK

Lets pimp that $hit:weightlifter: :cool2: :laugh:

Toro is pretty fat on getting parts in most cases.

TLS
11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
J-Thomas....

JT-1594.....Muffler 26 - Kohler EFI.....103-1594.......$139.99

Unless they're out of stock?

It's not listed under TORO, you have to look under eXmark.

Oldtimer
11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
103-7483 MUFFLER KIT, KOHLER EFI C X $92.40

Oldtimer

Runner
11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks, guys. I was just about to post the link to the page that had the diagram. You guys got it covered! :)

TLS
11-16-2006, 02:28 PM
103-7483 MUFFLER KIT, KOHLER EFI C X $92.40

Oldtimer

Oldtimer....where is this price from? Quite a bit cheaper, and different Part #.

Oldtimer
11-16-2006, 02:43 PM
That is the superseded part number & I took it from the eXmark dealer site.

TLS
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
So thats dealer cost. Doesn't help MowED much. Whats dealer MSRP?

LindblomRJ
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Are these parts availible from the engine MFG or an independant parts dealer?

Oldtimer
11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
So thats dealer cost. Doesn't help MowED much. Whats dealer MSRP?

That was MSRP.

Oldtimer