PDA

View Full Version : Ferris Re-Design on New 07 Walkbehind

stevesmowing
11-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Has anyone seen one of the New 07 Ferris Comfort DD walk behinds? They are like the current ones only they have a crank that changes the deck height so there are no caster spacers or R-Pins. There are also sensors built in to the handle so there is no mechanical Operator Presence Control Switch.

fiveoboy01
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Yep, I knew about them quite a while ago. And it caused me a very LARGE headache.

They were supposed to be released over the spring last year, then the summer, then last I heard, the release date was this past September. This was directly from the guy at Ferris who I spoke with on the phone while trying to sort a big mess out.

all ferris
11-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I have seen them and used them. They are a bit different than the old dualdrives(which I love). They have thumb controls too now and saftey switches that are built into the hand grips. The parking brake location is changed and I believe the deck is the same deck that is used on the IS1500.

ZER
11-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I used the new Ferris walkbehind at the EXPO and loved it. The thumb controls are only used as manual overrides over the cruise control for hillside use. Very well built machine and excellent on slopes.

ed2hess
11-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I looked at a 36" Ferris at our Dealers and it didn't look very well built compared to a Scag for example. I owned a 33" Troy Bilt several years ago and this unit had some of the same design features...i.e. the handles and the front wheel mounts. Obviously it is a lot heavier built than a Troy Bilt but it not a Scag or Toro or Exmark. But it cost a lot less than a Scag. I assume this competes with Quick and Billy goat. The biggest drawback to me is single hydro, not good on turning in grass and in ditches and hills.

John Gamba
11-19-2006, 09:24 AM
here-----------------------------

davidcalhoun
11-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Like them or not, Ferris has always been heavy built. Not really fair to compare it to a Billy Goat.

Anybody know the weight? I'll bet they are close (if not more) to the Exmarks and Scags.

nobagger
11-19-2006, 07:24 PM
WOW I think those are really cool looking, but whats with the huge deck cover?

surgeon83
11-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Like them or not, Ferris has always been heavy built. Not really fair to compare it to a Billy Goat.

Anybody know the weight? I'll bet they are close (if not more) to the Exmarks and Scags.

If I recall, I think the weight on the 61/17 was around 880lbs. Sounds high, but I thought I read that on the bulletin at one point.

Not heavy built? I admit there are lots of great wbs out there, many of which cost more than Ferris, but the Ferris has to be the beefiest wb I've ever seen. They use hydros so big they can't even fit them under the standard 16-or-so-inch-wide engine deck, which in my opinion is their best feature- wide wheelbase and hydros that are more responsive than any of the standard ones I've used with the hoses and such.

Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion- if you ask 5 people here what the best mower is, there's a good chance that 5 different manufacturers will be represented.

zim bob the landscaper
11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
i think its the gas tank. u can see the cover on it.

GotGreen
11-20-2006, 12:14 AM
I saw the new Ferris on O'Fallon IL at Scott's Power Equipment about 2 months ago but with a different deck cover and the fuel tank was mounted the same way as the Derby mowers used to, big square tank at the front of the engine and with a crank to raise and lower the deck.

nograss
11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Comparing a Ferris to a Billy Goat or Troy Bilt is Like comparing a Hummer to a Ford. A Ferris will take all you can give it and keep on running when the Toro, Troy Bilt, and Billy Goat 33's bend in half. I understand that basically service is the most important to us and that we all have our favorites but come on, if you haven't used one don't judge. I use a Dual Drive 52" hydro and will buy a new one in about 4 years when this one has about 2000 hours on it and or needs a new engine. If the Scag dealer was interested in my business I would have purchased a ZTR, but Toro wanted my business. Scag couldn't have cared less here. There are several good products and all these people will tell you S E R V I C E is the most important thing when you chose between different mowers. Ps: I have changed oil every 50 hrs and lubed as required. My kitten has 700 hours and is like new. Meow!

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2006, 01:40 AM
They seem like real nice machines to me.

rodfather
11-20-2006, 07:00 AM
They are extremely reliable...been using them exclusivley now for 13 years.

Richard Martin
11-20-2006, 07:13 AM

The gas tank may be under it as noted above but I suspect the reason they built it like that was to bring some uniformity to their walkbehinds. The 36 hydro has the same style cover.

They use hydros so big they can't even fit them under the standard 16-or-so-inch-wide engine deck,

The size of the hydros has nothing to do with whether they're heavy duty or not. The reason they're so big is because it's a intergrated pump and motor assembly. They're big, heavy and expensive to replace. I prefer the seperate pump and motor setup. If Ferris would stop using that antiquidated setup and use a more conventional hydro system they could build a real 36" hydro walkbehind that could be steered.

fiveoboy01
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Guys, that IS the gas tank on top. See the cap? Well, that may be a cover over it, actually, now that I am looking closer.

Like I said, i spoke with the Ferris guy. As of this past September, they were not available yet.

This is not the same mower as the 32" and 36" Hydrocut models. These are dual hydro WBs and are much improved over the regular Hydrowalk DD series.

John Gamba
11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
This is not the same mower as the 32" and 36" Hydrocut models. These are dual hydro WBs and are much improved over the regular Hydrowalk DD series.

what did they do ??

d.tavernese
11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Im not sure if i like the new design, too many More things to go wrong, and whats with the open pan? Does anymore debris need to get to the belt drive? Time will tell i guess.

d.tavernese
11-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Where does the can for the vac go now?

ed2hess
11-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Comparing a Ferris to a Billy Goat or Troy Bilt is Like comparing a Hummer to a Ford. A Ferris will take all you can give it and keep on running when the Toro, Troy Bilt, and Billy Goat 33's bend in half. I understand that basically service is the most important to us and that we all have our favorites but come on, if you haven't used one don't judge. I use a Dual Drive 52" hydro and will buy a new one in about 4 years when this one has about 2000 hours on it and or needs a new engine. If the Scag dealer was interested in my business I would have purchased a ZTR, but Toro wanted my business. Scag couldn't have cared less here. There are several good products and all these people will tell you S E R V I C E is the most important thing when you chose between different mowers. Ps: I have changed oil every 50 hrs and lubed as required. My kitten has 700 hours and is like new. Meow!
The 36" Ferris that is at our Dealer does not look like the picture that Gamba provided. Ferris in general looks every bit as strong as Scag but this 36" Ferris WB that they have at our Dealer does not look heavy built. Maybe it is a homeowner version or something.

fiveoboy01
11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Does Ferris even make homeowner-grade mowers?

I am under the impression that they don't, but I don't know for sure.

d.tavernese
11-20-2006, 09:38 PM
No, love the launch on that 5.0!

Richard Martin
11-21-2006, 07:12 AM
This is not the same mower as the 32" and 36" Hydrocut models.

I don't think anybody said it was.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 07:22 AM
no more using the jrco transporter and tub with that hood:cry:

CLawnC
11-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I have recently contacted Ferris about the 2007 Comfort control and they told me they weren't sure if they can use a bagger with it yet. In the brochure they sent me the only option listed for it is the mulch kit. Very disappointed when I heard that. I am now looking at the Exmark TTHP.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 12:21 PM
I have recently contacted Ferris about the 2007 Comfort control and they told me they weren't sure if they can use a bagger with it yet. In the brochure they sent me the only option listed for it is the mulch kit. Very disappointed when I heard that. I am now looking at the Exmark TTHP.

Theres no bagger for there walk behind????

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
. Very disappointed when I heard that. I am now looking at the Exmark TTHP.

You will like the cut better.

CLawnC
11-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Not for the comfort control (no Bagger). They do have baggers for the belt driven WB, and the small 32 or 36 single hydro drive mower for 2007.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Not for the comfort control (no Bagger). They do have baggers for the belt driven WB, and the small 32 or 36 single hydro drive mower for 2007.

Thats strange. Ask peter at accelerator if hes got one.

MTR
11-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I take ECS over that Ferris hydro thing anyday anytime. NOt a single LCO in my region uses Ferris walk, their riders are even losing market also to Toro Turboforce, Hustler, Scag and Gravely. It is impossible to say, to get any better control that is superior than ECS of eXmark.

rodfather
11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I take ECS over that Ferris hydro thing anyday anytime. NOt a single LCO in my region uses Ferris walk, their riders are even losing market also to Toro Turboforce, Hustler, Scag and Gravely. It is impossible to say, to get any better control that is superior than ECS of eXmark.

That's strange...not a single LCO in my region uses Hustler or Gravely...they are virtually non-existant.

CLawnC
11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
The Exmark dealer near me has offered the 2006 Exmark TTHP 52" deck 17hp kawi with sulkie and bagger for $5700, and is throwing in a extra set of blades. I think this is the deal for me. He had a demo of the TTHP with a 19hp kawi but it looked like it had been beat on he offered that at $4700 with the original 2 yr warranty. I am just getting started in the business and this site has helped me alot with my decision.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 06:38 PM
The Exmark dealer near me has offered the 2006 Exmark TTHP 52" deck 17hp kawi with sulkie and bagger for $5700, and is throwing in a extra set of blades. I think this is the deal for me. He had a demo of the TTHP with a 19hp kawi but it looked like it had been beat on he offered that at $4700 with the original 2 yr warranty. I am just getting started in the business and this site has helped me alot with my decision.

You will like the cut:)

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
That's strange...not a single LCO in my region uses Hustler or Gravely...they are virtually non-existant.

They dont have dealers on mars yet lolololol Happy thanksgiving Mr rodfather:waving: :waving: :walking:

rodfather
11-21-2006, 06:45 PM
They dont have dealers on mars yet lolololol Happy thanksgiving Mr rodfather:waving: :waving: :walking:

Thanks John...watch out how much you eat or you'll be spilling some water out of that tub on Friday. :)

MTR
11-21-2006, 06:53 PM

I have that model, 52/17 TTHP, but my is an '01 (1st generation of ECS), have about 1000+hrs on that engine. The machine still runs like champ. If you really buy it, after 50hrs break-in, put Amsoil 10w30 in that 17hp and never look back. Some people said it is underpowered, but if you have technique, it virtually cuts everything down. It is truly excellent on hill, never tear up turf like the Z, and leave beautiful cut. The trivantage deck is old deck that put eXmark on the map for their walk as they still use on current models. I use it now only on hill properties, the rest is done with Gravely 152z. eXcellent mower.

Richard Martin
11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
I take ECS over that Ferris hydro thing anyday anytime.
It is impossible to say, to get any better control that is superior than ECS of eXmark.

Have you even tried the Ferris hydro thing yet? No, of course you haven't. It isn't available yet.

I'm told that the steering of the 50" DC Runbehind is the ultimate "Cat's Meow". Have you tried that yet?

Exmark mowers aren't the ultimate mower for everybody and of late they've been having their own issues. That new deck they released earlier this year has generally received an "eh" rating and we don't even want to talk about that 26" mower they released last year. Then there's Exmark thousand hour and replace no-grease spindles. Oh, and don't forget those exploding mowers from the late 90s.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Have you even tried the Ferris hydro thing yet? No, of course you haven't. It isn't available yet.

I'm told that the steering of the 50" DC Runbehind is the ultimate "Cat's Meow". Have you tried that yet?

Exmark mowers aren't the ultimate mower for everybody and of late they've been having their own issues. That new deck they released earlier this year has generally received an "eh" rating and we don't even want to talk about that 26" mower they released last year. Then there's Exmark thousand hour and replace no-grease spindles. Oh, and don't forget those exploding mowers from the late 90s.

Two years ago on the 26. one enclosed trailer fire. new deck in the north east -- Blade speed to slow.

Happy thanksgiving Mr Martin :) see if you can get me a run behind demo soon, i dont need grass.

fiveoboy01
11-21-2006, 08:04 PM

I would like to get a chance to try them when the mower is available. They look like they would work great.

Hopefully the fixes implemented for the Triton deck will solve some of the problems it's had.

I can't argue with you on the greaseless spindles. When I got my TTHP, I looked for the grease fittings on the spindles, couldn't find them, and sure enough, the manual didn't have them labled under the diagram for grease fittings. I was like W-T-F. Dumbest thing I've ever seen, to have grease-free spindles. So I worry about when they're going to go out on me.

all ferris
11-21-2006, 10:32 PM
here-----------------------------

I have used the new ferris WB and he one I used looked nothing like the one Gamba pictured. It didn't really look much different than the current WB's. Although, it did have a hanging deck.

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 07:10 AM
I have used the new ferris WB and he one I used looked nothing like the one Gamba pictured. It didn't really look much different than the current WB's. Although, it did have a hanging deck.

It was the floating deck they came out with a couple of years ago

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 07:22 AM

This one:)

all ferris
11-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry JG, The one I used was definately the new style. It just didn't have that ugly plastic hood thing. It had the thumb controls, the sensors in the hand grips, crank to change deck height, and a donaldson air filter. The one you pictured has a different looking handle bar setup too. maybe they changed it again. I know that my dealer is one of the biggest ferris dealers in the country and he said they showed him a prototype and he said it wasn't right so ferris redesigned the prototype.

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Sorry JG, The one I used was definately the new style. It just didn't have that ugly plastic hood thing. It had the thumb controls, the sensors in the hand grips, crank to change deck height, and a donaldson air filter. The one you pictured has a different looking handle bar setup too. maybe they changed it again. I know that my dealer is one of the biggest ferris dealers in the country and he said they showed him a prototype and he said it wasn't right so ferris redesigned the prototype.

I know what your going threw. Be patient.

surgeon83
11-22-2006, 08:43 PM
The gas tank may be under it as noted above but I suspect the reason they built it like that was to bring some uniformity to their walkbehinds. The 36 hydro has the same style cover.

Actually I think they re-designed it because there's no room for the old gas tank with the new air filter design.

And I understand what you're saying about the hydros, but I still disagree. I've used and owned mowers with the units with separate pumps/wheel motors, and these just didn't cut it. When cold they could take several minutes to warm up or prime enough to actually work and the reverse never went more than 0.5mph. Who cares about replacement cost; buy what works, take care of it, and you'll never have to replace it.

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 09:02 PM
And I understand what you're saying about the hydros, but I still disagree. I've used and owned mowers with the units with separate pumps/wheel motors, and these just didn't cut it. When cold they could take several minutes to warm up or prime enough to actually work and the reverse never went more than 0.5mph. Who cares about replacement cost; buy what works, take care of it, and you'll never have to replace it.

I have never had a hydro problem like you have experienced cold or not.

GotGreen
11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Guys, that IS the gas tank on top. See the cap? Well, that may be a cover over it, actually, now that I am looking closer.

Like I said, i spoke with the Ferris guy. As of this past September, they were not available yet.

You are correct, that's the fuel tank and yes the one I saw was a dual hydro, but like I said the deck cover was different and did not have any stickers and the fuel tank was the regular square ferris fuel tank but mounted on the front like the old derby mowers; since it was so generic locking I adventure to say that the mower I saw maybe it was a prototype. I asked for the price and was told that it was going to be about $6500 which I though was a little much for a W/B, but then again I never owned a Ferris before.

all ferris
11-23-2006, 07:43 PM
OK guys, I have the inside scoop on the new ferris WB. You'll have to trust me because "I know people". My dealer is apparently the largest ferris WB dealer in the country (anyone from st. louis knows who I'm talking about). He saw the new WB that is in the picture that Gamba first posted and when he used it he told them what was wrong with it. Ferris then came out with the machine I used, which doesn't have the plastic hood thing the handle bars are different. So don't be looking for the machine with the plastic hood to in any stores soon.

Envy Lawn Service
11-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt for them to do a little something with their "ape hanger bars".

dan37
11-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Gamba, where are you getting your information? The first pic you posted was of a machine that Ferris never produced. It was a prototype that didn't go over well, so they scrapped it. And the second pic is not the deck style on the new Comfort Control.

All Ferris seems to know the most about this unit. It has the operator presence built into the grips, as well as a lever on one side for operator presence in case the user has gloves on. The decks are ZTR decks for better cut quality. The brake has been moved (even from the model shown at EXPO). Rich Martin...the Dual Drive does have one pump and one motor for each tire...you are thinking of the Hyrdocut series. CLawnC...Ferris has confirmed that their cloth bagger and the Grass Gobbler will fit the new Comfort Control. As for the aftermarket baggers, I don't know. Fiveoboy, the new Ferris is available now.

Nik_Danger
04-28-2007, 01:31 AM
what is the cut like on the new comfort control?

John Gamba
04-28-2007, 08:53 AM
what is the cut like on the new comfort control?

What is the new comfort control?? thay look like pistol grips? That is a Nice mower other then the deck.

Richard Martin
04-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Rich Martin...the Dual Drive does have one pump and one motor for each tire...you are thinking of the Hyrdocut series.

Maybe on the new DD. The old DD used a intergrated pump and wheel motor drive unit. There are 2 of them but they were the intergrated style. 2 of them side by side won't fit in the 36" mower's frame. Just like I said.

John Gamba
04-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Gamba, where are you getting your information? The first pic you posted was of a machine that Ferris never produced. It was a prototype that didn't go over well, so they scrapped it. And the second pic is not the deck style on the new Comfort Control.

All Ferris seems to know the most about this unit. It has the operator presence built into the grips, as well as a lever on one side for operator presence in case the user has gloves on. The decks are ZTR decks for better cut quality. The brake has been moved (even from the model shown at EXPO). Rich Martin...the Dual Drive does have one pump and one motor for each tire...you are thinking of the Hyrdocut series. CLawnC...Ferris has confirmed that their cloth bagger and the Grass Gobbler will fit the new Comfort Control. As for the aftermarket baggers, I don't know. Fiveoboy, the new Ferris is available now.

Dan can you post a pic of the drives?? what richard said is true. i didnt know thay went weel pumps and motors?

Envy Lawn Service
04-30-2007, 02:56 AM
John you do realize it is true the production machine did not turn out to look as pictured here right?

I had a whole thread up about this machine some time back.

Here is what it looks like, and to me it looks even better.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/images/8300lgcomfort.jpg

Here's what the controls look like.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/images/9963acccclg.jpg

And these still use the nice dual Eaton hydro drives (same brand walker uses)

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/images/3417acctranslg.jpg

This mower is packed with a lot of nice features for sure.
But the question still remains....

How does it cut?

MTR
04-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Still Pistol grip?

John Gamba
04-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Still Pistol grip?

There pistols are not that bad.

John Gamba
04-30-2007, 07:14 AM
John you do realize it is true the production machine did not turn out to look as pictured here right?

How does it cut?

Most have covers before there shown to us. I thiought there where still the same hydro's. Its a ferris deck:cry: thats how it cuts

John Gamba
04-30-2007, 07:16 AM

How does it cut?

That mower has the same rods that lift the husky deck on there walk??:waving:

Nik_Danger
05-03-2007, 01:22 AM
when people refer to cut quality are they talking about lawn quality or large commercial expanses with somewhat overgrown weedy growth? A deeper deck would matter with taller growth but do you think the ferris deck would cut a lawn clean???

FerrisJJJ
05-03-2007, 01:33 AM
when people refer to cut quality are they talking about lawn quality or large commercial expanses with somewhat overgrown weedy growth? A deeper deck would matter with taller growth but do you think the ferris deck would cut a lawn clean???

Oh definitely!

Nik_Danger
05-03-2007, 01:44 AM
as good as the toro turboforce deck or exmark? I am wanting to upgrade to a wb but my customers are very picky. I know nothing looks like a 21 cut except a 21, but do you think the ferris is one par with the previous mentioned makes? Ferris seems to offer the most value...its under 5k here with everything else... even 36'' mowers slightly over. And I know Ferris is built tough...let me know and thanks for the input!!

FerrisJJJ
05-03-2007, 02:23 AM
as good as the toro turboforce deck or exmark? I am wanting to upgrade to a wb but my customers are very picky. I know nothing looks like a 21 cut except a 21, but do you think the ferris is one par with the previous mentioned makes? Ferris seems to offer the most value...its under 5k here with everything else... even 36'' mowers slightly over. And I know Ferris is built tough...let me know and thanks for the input!!

Ferris the best out there. Most reliable with the incredible Kawasaki Engines and with an "all welded frame"