PDA

View Full Version : whats your personal grass consist of?

lawnwizards
11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
just a poll to see how we all take care of our own lawns. i'll tell you first off mine is mostly weeds. If you got any pics that you wanna show, feel free. lets have some fun with this one. thanks. randy

GrasshopperLC
11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
My lawn mainly consist of ky31 fescue w/very little bermuda.

Grits
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
My front yard is St. Augustine. My back yard is a secret blend of St. Augustine, Bahia, and weeds! It stays cut though!

Uranus
11-15-2006, 09:38 PM
creeping fed fescue, bluegrass, and perennial rye

lawnspecialties
11-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Common bermuda with annual ryegrass right now.

1MajorTom
11-15-2006, 09:43 PM
here is an upclose shot of our grass. PennState MVP

rodfather
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
here is an upclose shot of our grass. PennState MVP

very nice Jodi...for us it is mostly fescue and blue.

1MajorTom
11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks rod, but in all fairness, we just have a small plot in the front and back to take care, but we do try our best to keep it looking good. It still tough though, never enough hours in the day. Besides, I seem to focus more on the flower beds. Nothing brings me as much peace as working with flowers.

KS_Grasscutter
11-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, I dont own a lawn obviously, but my parents lawn here is 90% fescue/10% Bermuda in front and most of the back, then the side 25 feet or so from the garage to the neighbors property is about 50/50 bermuda/fescue, as the neighbors lawn gets NO attention other then mowing and the bermuda just took over the fescue, now it is taking over our side there too. Got new neighbors there in the last year or so, and the put in a irrigation system, guess I 'oughta try and sell them a lawn re-doing job. R-Up everything in late july, again end of august, and seed it in sept sometime, and have a perfect, beautiful, fescue lawn by the end of october.

Josh.S
11-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Its funny you guys are talking about these different types of gras and stuff... I just mow lawns and edge stuff, I have no idea about the different types of grass..

I scalp my .7 acre weedpatch down every couple weeks...

procut
11-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Front is absolutly beautiful, see the pic. Its mostly bluegrass and some fescue. The back lawn however, is a work in progress.

Richard Martin
11-16-2006, 04:47 AM
Mine is about 95% Centipede with small sections in the back of rye. The front has been overseeded with annual rye for winter color. 1.4 acres. My building lot is just a crap mix from one end to the other. Bahia, Centipede, Crab, Burmuda and weeds. 2.4 acres.

MOW ED
11-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Kentucky Blue, red fescue and some rye. The pic is from right before we closed on the property at the end of the summer. I have to take some pictures next year when its growing again.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 07:55 AM
my old house---blue-fescue-water-fert and sun.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 08:03 AM
my old house---blue-fescue-water-fert and sun.

Very nice John. I was expecting something like "The yatch doesn't grow any grass".

David W
11-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Nice stripes Jonny B.

I can't believe some of these posts. My lawn is my calling card. I work all day mowing and come home to unwind by cutting my own lawn. I double-cut every time and more 2-3 times a week.

For me it is all fescue, Confederate Tall Fescue to be exact. ZONE 6

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Very nice John. I was expecting something like "The yatch doesn't grow any grass".

It doesn't, the docks don't either.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 08:45 AM
It doesn't, the docks don't either.

Yea that's what I was talking about.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 08:49 AM
The company lawn is mostly fescue and KBG. A few thistle and a couple spots of clover. First year with no herbicide. It's one of the lawns I play around on on my day off.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 08:59 AM
The company lawn is mostly fescue and KBG. A few thistle and a couple spots of clover. First year with no herbicide. It's one of the lawns I play around on on my day off.

I love playing around like that:laugh: :)

prostriper
11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
I love playing around like that:laugh: :)

Yea it breaks up the manotony of the week or month. Gotta get a roller though, my stripes don't look as defined as yours and terra-cares :(

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Yea it breaks up the manotony of the week or month. Gotta get a roller though, my stripes don't look as defined as yours and terra-cares :(

The roller does more then stripe, if you go backwards over leaves it helps keep and put the leaves under the deck then having them pile up behind it.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 09:34 AM
The roller does more then stripe, if you go backwards over leaves it helps keep and put the leaves under the deck then having them pile up behind it.

I never really thought of that. Good point. They'd still pile up behind the engine cradle though. I usually go forward when I'm mulching them. But I see how that would be beneficial.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 09:39 AM
I never really thought of that. Good point. They'd still pile up behind the engine cradle though. I usually go forward when I'm mulching them. But I see how that would be beneficial.

When you do it you will be amazed :)

Dunn's
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Zoysia here. this piocture was taken on August 6, 2006 and as you all might be aware we went through a pretty good drought.Sorry it is a little blurry.

theplantdoctor
11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I believe that your lawn should be in excellent shape. It is your calling card. It represents you and your company. How can you expect your clients to have confidence in you ability to maintain their property, if yours is not perfect. BTW, clients DO drive by your place and see what your lawn looks like. Just because you did'nt see them, does'nt mean they don't. A neat and tidy landscape helps build your business. I am also one, that comes home at the end of the day and unwinds by mowing and maintaining my place. Finally, everyone here should know what type of grass they are growing.

Ken

Beau Rivage
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
St. Augustine all the way around. It just thrives here...I do have to keep the pine straw off of it though.:nono:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
I have a non calling card lawn! Not a single shrub or bush on my property, no flowers, just a acre of land with a house a big driveway and grass to mow.

I have aerated and treated and done everything to have a nice fescue lawn, but here in our area we have long spells in the middle of summer with no rain and the fescue lawns die or get damaged badly and weeds come in and take over.

I am on a well and there isn't enough pressure to run a sprinkler system , plus I don't want to risk hurting the well - neighbors tell me you can empty a well if you draw too much water over a period of time -

So..... I let nature take it's course and let whatever grows grow. I have a mix of bermuda, fescue, crabgrass, and weeds. It is staying fairly green through the summer now, especially the bermuda which is really taking over the lawn.

Last fall, like usual I aerated and put down Lesco transition blend fescue and we didn't get enough rain afterwards to get the grass to germinate and grow before it got too cold..... So I went out in December and bought 2 50lbs bags of annual rye and just spread it on the lawn. We had the greenest, nicest looking lawn in the area all winter and early spring. Once it got hot outside the rye died, but by then the bermuda started to take over.

This fall I aerated again and just put out the rye. Yard is green as can be right now and I have only had to cut it once since the beginning of October. Will need one more cut in a few weeks to mulch the leaves from the trees I have, and then just a pretty green lawn all winter.

The Rye is a pain to mow though.... No matter what, it seems the mower gets choked up under the deck and clumps fall off and make a mess. Plus Rye grass clippings stick to whatever they land on and are hard to blow off or clean up. Still the green lawn is worth the effort. Normally our lawn looks like crap in the winter, all brown and yuck, but not with the rye!!!

Here is a picture of my work truck in the driveway, you can see the green rye just starting to come up

David W
11-16-2006, 01:53 PM
That is a bummer about your lawn...at least it looks good in the summer.

Sweet truck by the way!

Budget
11-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Rye, and kentucky 31, Seeded in late September with this Kentucky 31 and it is coming in good so far.

Cheers

dozerdogue
11-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Lesco park and Athletic mixture 1/3 Blue, 1/3 rye, 1/3 creeping red fescue I do have a rather nice year lawn even though it's only 1 year old at my new home. I over seeded it this Fall. I'll get some photos after I cut and vacuum the lawn this weekend when the rain stops.