PDA

View Full Version : Hunter ICC/ACC/ICR???

PurpHaze
11-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Anyone have any experience with these "commercial" controllers and the remote system? Good vs. bad???

Now that I only have one remaining RainBird TBOS system in the district I'll have room shortly for an ICR remote system in my weatherproof case (right next to my Eicon and Hunter WVP). I'm wanting to try out the ACC on a site in order to check out its performance along with the ICR remote. I like the Smart Port idea for hooking up the remote receiver (probably will go with the shielded harness) and it seems to have advantages over the Irritrol MC-Plus/Eicon remote system we've been using for years.

The major drawback on the Irritrol systems is that it seems next to impossible to get them to respond as to where I can purchase the Adapt-1 that runs between the circuit board and the external port. You cannot seem to purchase it through Irritrol and I'm tired of having my questions go unanswered. Hunter doesn't have this problem since they market everything for their Smart Port system and it matches up with their own remote transmitter.

Mjtrole
11-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Anyone have any experience with these "commercial" controllers and the remote system? Good vs. bad???

Now that I only have one remaining RainBird TBOS system in the district I'll have room shortly for an ICR remote system in my weatherproof case (right next to my Eicon and Hunter WVP). I'm wanting to try out the ACC on a site in order to check out its performance along with the ICR remote. I like the Smart Port idea for hooking up the remote receiver (probably will go with the shielded harness) and it seems to have advantages over the Irritrol MC-Plus/Eicon remote system we've been using for years.

The major drawback on the Irritrol systems is that it seems next to impossible to get them to respond as to where I can purchase the Adapt-1 that runs between the circuit board and the external port. You cannot seem to purchase it through Irritrol and I'm tired of having my questions go unanswered. Hunter doesn't have this problem since they market everything for their Smart Port system and it matches up with their own remote transmitter.

We won a bid a couple seasons ago for an entryway into a softball complex with 12 fields, the fields system had a RCBI for each field and a remote system with it that didn't work, I am pretty sure it was the tbos system.

As an extra, we switched out the BI's to ICC's and "threw in" a remote for the controllers the maintenance crew loves it, I believe it has a 2 mile range and the city even had us change over a bunch of other systems in the city to ICC's just for the remote. We haven't had ANY bad experiences with it.

Flow Control
11-16-2006, 07:34 AM
The ICR is the best remote on the market that I have seen we have 7 units.

YardPro
11-16-2006, 07:39 AM
they are awesome... the remote is the reason we switched to hunter they rock

Flow Control
11-16-2006, 08:12 AM
they are awesome... the remote is the reason we switched to hunter they rock

It is also the reason we prefer Hunter timers, even if we install Rain Bird we will 9 out of 10 times install with a Hunter controller.

PurpHaze
11-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like it's all positive comments up to this time.

jcom
11-17-2006, 10:13 PM
What about adapting to an existing system? Using existing wiring to use the ICC with its' two wire setup? Or can we use existing wiring with the ICC and use their valves?

Thanks,

John

bdb
11-19-2006, 11:51 PM

The Eicon company has been owned by Toro for a couple of years. Irritrol is owned by Toro but none of the "different branches" seem to work together very well a far as product support.:dizzy: As far as hunter stuff it seems to work very well. Only draw back as you know is it only works with hunter stuff. Sounds like a good way to sell a controller. It will help in the long run.

PurpHaze
11-20-2006, 10:33 AM
We went out Friday and purchased the standard 12 station ACC and three extra 6 station modules so the controller has 30 station capability. We also purchased the ICR kit with the transmitter and receiver that plugs into the Smart Port. We'll use this controller to replace two controllers at a nearby middle school after the holidays. We're moving the two controllers and I figured it would be a good time to consolidate and install the one ACC. That way it'll be close and we can keep an eye on things. We'll see how the remote works with the ACC also. If all goes well after a period of time we may then think about changing our specs to the ACC. However, I'll probably be retired before all the existing Irritrols are converted over since we have 100+ of them in the district.

bdb
11-23-2006, 01:07 AM
PurpHaze
If I remember you can put a flow sensor on it and it will tell you real time GPM. Not the flow click. You can go as far as IMMS...it has a module to plug in to the controller.

PurpHaze
11-23-2006, 10:55 AM
This was another reason I was interested in the ACC with its modular update systems. The flow control sensor and IMMS are down the line but is a possibility now that they also have cell phone connectivety to these central control systems. It would be a real PITA if we had to communicate via hardwire, landline or radio but the cell phone technology is quite interesting.

If/when we actually go IMMS I'd have to work something out regarding areas where I need constant water, i.e. areas where QCVs are necessary for field prep and the numerous infield dirt/clay zones we have on basball/softball fields. Without running a completely new main line circuit for these specialized areas I wouldn't be able to put in a master valve.

PurpHaze
12-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I've now had the chance to go through the Hunter ACC controller manual with face plate in hand. It's quite an amazing controller compared to the Irritrol MC-Plus controllers we've been using. I've noted the following pros and cons as compared to the MC-Plus.

PRO

1. Cost: Comparable 30 station controller is about $150 less than the MC.

2. Heavy Metal Cabinet: Comparable to the security boxes we place our MCs into if they're installed on the outside of buildings.

3. Removable Doors: The outer metal door, face plate/controller board and inner door are all removable for easy installation. No screws to take out as with the MC.

4. Face Plate: Removable and can be programmed outside the controller with 9V battery installed. I took ours home for the weekend and the battery is still working fine.

5. Owner Info: Company name and phone number can be entered and comes up on the main display with just a push of a button.

6. Stacking or Override: Programs can be stacked (come on consecutively) or overrided (come on concurrently).

7. Modular Upgrade: Add zones by adding six station modules; up to 42 stations. Add flow monitoring, ET, central controls by adding modules and other peripheral items.

8. Names: You can give the programs and/or individual stations names.

9. "No Water Window": Can establish a time period where an automatic program will not run at all.

10. Smart Port: Already set up for Hunter remote. External port on the side of the metal cabinet that the receiver just plugs into.

CON

1. Scrolling: Zone water times do not scroll automatically. You have to push a button to advance through each zone's watering time. Really just a minor inconvenience.

2. Cycle End: MC shows program start/end times by just pushing a single button twice. ACC doesn't have this feature but I've developed an Excel spread sheet that does basically this. Since we track our programs this is only a minor inconvenience.

What I'd Like to See in Future ACCs

1. Scrolling of zone water times and program end.

2. Security code to keep unauthorized people from changing the program.

3. Connectivity of face plate to a computer via a USB connection.

4. "No Water Window": Bad thing is that if you set a program that goes into this window it just suspends the watering when that time is reached. I'd like to see it automatically adjust the watering percentage so the entire program will fit into your watering window by backing off each zone's watering time accordingly.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to have the time to play with the ICR remote that came in a fantastic carrying case. :)

PurpHaze
12-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I've received a couple of PM requests for pictures on the ACC-ICR since the Hunter web site doesn't do them justice. Here you go.

PurpHaze
12-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Last five pictures.

sprinklertech
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I've installed 2 hunter acc controllers and they rock!!

Flow Control
03-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I forgot what the ICR's looked like out of the box. We have a couple of sets and they all have a little bit of mud on them. They are priceless when you need them.

Remote Pigtails
03-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I think Hunter has definitely hit on the remote issue. The low cost of the ports and the ability to install them outside with ease is huge. If I was installing systems without question that is what I would install. But the best remote for doing service work by far is the Rainmaster. Turning on a system and looking at it is different than turning it on and working on it. Any good remote is better than walking back and forth.

Flow Control
03-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Any good remote is better than walking back and forth.

Man Law #101

tonytonick
03-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Hunter's ICC is probably the best Institutional commercial controller ever sold. There is a snap-in module that converts it to decoders. It can convert the plastic 32 station (zone) ICC into a 48 station decoder system or the module can be added to an existing ICC multi-wire system to extend the number of zones without needing any more wires back to the controller.
The features of the ICC are all available, weather station, IMMS, radio remote control etc.

You can get all this at a fraction of the cost of an ACC decoder system.

Underhill International in Aliso Viejo, CA sell this adaption and the decoders. Many distributors now stock it. You can get more details on
http://www.underhillinternational.net/ICC_Decoder.htm

Mike Leary
03-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Hunter does make some good products, but their remote is not one of them:
Buy a Rain Master, you'll love it!

PurpHaze
03-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Found out that the Smart Port is going to be incorporated as "already installed onto the cabinet" (like the ACC) down the Hunter controller line except to the XC. Some models will be done possibly by the end of the year while others like the Pro-C will take some doing only because of the smaller space in the box/controller.

Wet_Boots
03-17-2007, 02:39 PM
We're fine with the existing setup, since the controllers are indoors, and the remote connectors are outdoors. The best thing they could do is to allow more distance between the two.

PurpHaze
03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
It was stated that you could use a maximum of two 25' lengths of their shielded wiring to get the Smart Port outside. Hopefully you can manage that? :)

bicmudpuppy
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
It was stated that you could use a maximum of two 25' lengths of their shielded wiring to get the Smart Port outside. Hopefully you can manage that? :)

So, if we use someone else's 50' of shielded 3 wire cable, they probably won't work................:weightlifter:

PurpHaze
03-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Unknown... You'll have to ask them yourself. :laugh:

tonytonick
03-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I've found you can use a 1000pF (1nF) capacitor (make it 100V rating) between the terminals marked REM and the AC under it. Hunter actually has a problem with noise ickup on this line, this gets around it. Longer screened cable will work too. 25' is a 'wet finger' length. Just keep the cable away from nasty high current high voltage power lines.

Wet_Boots
03-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Hunter actually has a problem with noise pickup on this line.It's not really a problem, so much as what results from the FCC requirements for transmitters and receivers of this type. The circuitry could be 'fixed' at the cost of ticking off the Feds, so it remains as is.

If you 'ground out' the remote input through a resistor, you effectively remove length restrictions on the remote cable. The first time I tried a SRC was on a commercial site, and I decided to see what would happen if I used coax for connecting the remote, and buried coax with the main line of 400-500 feet. Didn't work, but I did notice that as long as the receiver was plugged in, there were no error messages, no matter where it was plugged in on the coax run.

(and which AC terminal might be circuit ground? Hunter isn't telling)

Remote Pigtails
03-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Hunter does make some good products, but their remote is not one of them:
Buy a Rain Master, you'll love it!

I'm in an awkward since I sell the connectors for Rainmaster and TRC so maybe you can expand on the differences. Even when a Hunter has a port available we still install a 37 pin connector.