PDA

View Full Version : The UltraCut lovers should be thrilled!

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Click the icon and go to eXmark.com

Then go check out the updated Lazer AS...

NEW FOR 2007:

* 28 hp Kawasaki® V-twin engine option. (I say cool)

* 72" UltraCut™ deck option

* Standard heavy-duty canister air filtration system. (Double cool)

* Deck-lift Assist Standard. (Triple cool)

* 23 x 9.50-12, 4-ply Turf Master® Tires (52")
24 x 12-12, 4-ply Turf Master Tires (60" & 72") (finally decent tires!)

* Adjustable Dampeners allow the operator to customize drive responsiveness to suit personal preference.

* Flexible discharge chute. (nice update)

Looks like they updated to my favorite tanks too.

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/07as.jpg

prostriper
11-16-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm giddy as a school girl going to prom. Its about time to update the mowers too there going on 8 and 7 years old now.

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Yeah, seems to me what they have done to update the other models was a step backwards.
(TRITON)

I saw nothing indicating any updates to the Triton....

I'm sure they'll sell a lot of the AS models with the 28Kaw/UltraCut combo.

I bet they'll get a few Triton trade-ins... and also win back some lost customers.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Yea the Triton was a big fluke unfortunately. I guess that's what happens when you try to improve on near perfection ( it's just an opinion, don't attack me on it). The only thing the AS was loosing on was the engine power that now has been addressed. All they need now is a 35 hp briggs and a manual blade engagement.

fiveoboy01
11-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Click the icon and go to eXmark.com

Then go check out the updated Lazer AS...

NEW FOR 2007:

* 28 hp Kawasaki® V-twin engine option. (I say cool)

* 72" UltraCut™ deck option

* Standard heavy-duty canister air filtration system. (Double cool)

* Deck-lift Assist Standard. (Triple cool)

* 23 x 9.50-12, 4-ply Turf Master® Tires (52")
24 x 12-12, 4-ply Turf Master Tires (60" & 72") (finally decent tires!)

* Adjustable Dampeners allow the operator to customize drive responsiveness to suit personal preference.

* Flexible discharge chute. (nice update)

Looks like they updated to my favorite tanks too.

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/07as.jpg

Looks like I no longer need to shop around for a ZTR for next season.

jsf343
11-16-2006, 01:59 AM
Ok, question for you guys who use Exmark.... can you bag with them or mulch? how well do they bag? I would need something that can do both as I have a few high end large properties. I have heard the cut is outstanding with one of the decks, cant think of which it is right now. (not triton) Please share your thoughts a little more. thanks

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Ok, question for you guys who use Exmark.... can you bag with them or mulch? how well do they bag? I would need something that can do both as I have a few high end large properties. I have heard the cut is outstanding with one of the decks, cant think of which it is right now. (not triton) Please share your thoughts a little more. thanks

It's the UltraCut deck.
Only the Lazer AS, FrontRunner and Turf Tracer feature this deck now.

The other eXmark decks do not measure up to this one.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 02:17 AM
It's the UltraCut deck.

Envy is right. I have never bagged or mulched. But have never heard any complaints on bagging other than during severly wet conditions they will plug up. But here are my thoughts on there cut quality.

jsf343
11-16-2006, 02:17 AM
It's the UltraCut deck.

So the ultracut is the best cutting deck? how well does it handle wetter grass? (spring time growth and conditions) and can you bag?

prostriper
11-16-2006, 02:21 AM
So the ultracut is the best cutting deck? how well does it handle wetter grass? (spring time growth and conditions) and can you bag?

With the width of the tires if you hit standing watter you are screwed!!!! So you have to keep an eye on your front tire if you think you are going into a real wet area. But it handles like a dream. And that is on a 8 year old mower, it is still like new.

ccl
11-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Wonder what the AS models will cost compared to the regular Lazer Z with the Triton. I don't know why they ever changed decks to begin with, the ultracut is an awesome deck, I love mine, cut quality is great and dispersal is pretty good too, the only area it doesn't do well is in wet conditions, it clumps and packs the deck full, but I've not used many mowers that don't do the same thing. Why not take the Ultracut, tweak and refine it's performance in certain areas, such as, wet condtions and open up the discharge opening for better dispersal. I'm glad to see Kawasaki finally came out with a higher horsepower air cooled engine to compete with the 27 Kohler, Kohler's are good engines, but if I had to choose, I'd take the Kaw everytime. I'm in the market for a new ZTR for next year, but I wasn't about to consider the Lazer Z with all the trouble the Tritons have had, but with the better engine choice and other updates to the AS model, I'll definitely be considering one of them for sure.

prostriper
11-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Wonder what the AS models will cost compared to the regular Lazer Z with the Triton. I don't know why they ever changed decks to begin with, the ultracut is an awesome deck, I love mine, cut quality is great and dispersal is pretty good too, the only area it doesn't do well is in wet conditions, it clumps and packs the deck full, but I've not used many mowers that don't do the same thing. Why not take the Ultracut, tweak and refine it's performance in certain areas, such as, wet condtions and open up the discharge opening for better dispersal. I'm glad to see Kawasaki finally came out with a higher horsepower air cooled engine to compete with the 27 Kohler, Kohler's are good engines, but if I had to choose, I'd take the Kaw everytime. I'm in the market for a new ZTR for next year, but I wasn't about to consider the Lazer Z with all the trouble the Tritons have had, but with the better engine choice and other updates to the AS model, I'll definitely be considering one of them for sure.

Thats what I'm saying!!! Why not spend time "slightly modifying" the performance of your flagship rather tham making a brand new "shot in the dark" boat ancor that works in a few conditions perfectly.

I really hope they get the Triton issues worked out. We'll have to see how the 07's due next year.

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 03:15 AM

The best one currently offered by eXmark at this time anyways...

There are rumors of fixes for the Triton but I haven't seen anything yet.

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Didn't think of it until now... but those wanting a Kawasaki engine option will like the AS also.

1999frontier
11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
On the exmark section there is a topic on changes to the triton deck. I think they are increasing the blade tip speed , but I can't remember the others right off.

jtkplc
11-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Question on the AS series, does it have the same frame as a regular Lazer and XS series, or is it narrower? On a 60" AS, are we talking anymore trim ability than a 60" XS? Does anyone know price on the AS units, becaue the 28hp Kaw and Ultracut really caught my eye!

Thanks.

tacoma200
11-16-2006, 09:52 AM
I had one and it is the same size frame as the regular lazer but smaller than the XS. IT IS the original lazer or close to it. The controls are between your legs, the fuel tanks are plain jane (not stickers) maybe smaller, the tires are my only complaint. They are a bit thinner and air filled on front. It actually rides better but you really need to put some slime in the tires to prevent flats. At one time you had a simple air cleaner and the foot assist was optional but I believe they are standard now. It's just a work horse with out the frills and engine options. Probably one of the best mowers for the money. I gave $6900 for a 23/60 several years ago so I would imagine a 28 Kaw could be had for the upper 7's. Great mower, great deck, cheaper but softer tires. Yes it will have more trimability than the XS with the same size deck. They used to use a little slower wheel motor but I'm not sure about this year, mine ran 9 mph.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 09:58 AM
There are rumors of fixes for the Triton but I haven't seen anything yet.

The new Triton will have the blade speed of 18750, redesigned baffling. its the deck i tested in florida before someone got the brite idea that 16500 works well in the north east.

I'm confident enough that i'm looking at a 56,23kaw hp. i do need the turf tracer but i can get around it to cut thick tall grass and weed lawns with the same deck.

TLS
11-16-2006, 11:04 AM
So, they still use the narrow caster tire on this AS then?

They should just incorporate this AS into the standard Lazer line.

They are starting to offer too many models if you ask me. Will make the parts guy go nucking futs when you need parts in a couple years.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
So, they still use the narrow caster tire on this AS then?

They should just incorporate this AS into the standard Lazer line.

They are starting to offer too many models if you ask me. Will make the parts guy go nucking futs when you need parts in a couple years.

It was designed and built to be less expensive then a regular lazer. AS advantage series----- advantage ---cost.

DBL
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Yea the Triton was a big fluke unfortunately. I guess that's what happens when you try to improve on near perfection ( it's just an opinion, don't attack me on it). The only thing the AS was loosing on was the engine power that now has been addressed. All they need now is a 35 hp briggs and a manual blade engagement.

is the 28 going to be powerful enough for that machine the 35 hp briggs will definetly do it i dont think a lot of guys want the diesel either

MJB
11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Is the Ultracut deck available in sizes smaller than the 72" ?

TLS
11-16-2006, 01:22 PM
is the 28 going to be powerful enough for that machine the 35 hp briggs will definetly do it i dont think a lot of guys want the diesel either

The UC deck doesn't take as much power to run as the TRITON. Exmark has used much less powerful engines to power 72" decks in the past.

The reason the 35hp BVG is needed in the XS line is due to the 21cc pumps, heavier frame and larger tires, all things the AS doesn't have.

greengiant9963
11-16-2006, 02:09 PM

Ultra cut does leave a nice cut. A very solid built mower to. But agree with you on the packing the deck and clumping in wet conditions.:cry: When they fix this problem then I will take another look at exmark. Till then going to stick with open deck designs like the Deere 7 iron and Scags Velocity.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Is the Ultracut deck available in sizes smaller than the 72" ?

52-60:) -------

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Question on the AS series, does it have the same frame as a regular Lazer and XS series, or is it narrower? On a 60" AS, are we talking anymore trim ability than a 60" XS? Does anyone know price on the AS units, becaue the 28hp Kaw and Ultracut really caught my eye!

Thanks.
Talked to the dealer today $9860.00 for the laser A.S 60 IN . 28 kaw. Avalilable Jan 2,:) 07

jtkplc
11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Talked to the dealer today $9860.00 for the laser A.S 60 IN . 28 kaw. Avalilable Jan 2,:) 07

WOW, almost $10K. I should have known, it's Exmark, the God's of mowers, so they can ask an arm and a leg for them. Nevermind. I can go buy a new Super Z 66" and be able to cover a lot more ground with faster speeds when needed for that price, maybe even less. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. They might be good mowers, but they aren't that good. Thanks for the information though.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 05:24 PM
WOW, almost $10K. I should have known, it's Exmark, the God's of mowers, so they can ask an arm and a leg for them. Nevermind. I can go buy a new Super Z 66" and be able to cover a lot more ground with faster speeds when needed for that price, maybe even less. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. They might be good mowers, but they aren't that good. Thanks for the information though.

Hes in Maryland --- everything there is 10,000. find a price in Michigan. that price is to high here in Connecticut

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Hes in Maryland --- everything there is 10,000. find a price in Michigan. that price is to high here in Connecticut
Your right John everthing is $10,000 in the Exmark :cry: .Dealer said he could knock off a few $100 gee thanks i said... I was thinking of going up to delaware no taxes ?? The hustler's Super Z come in around $8900.00. I probably will go this route. John what are you guys paying for the turf tracer23 kaw 60 inch cut up there.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Your right John everthing is $10,000 in the Exmark :cry: .Dealer said he could knock off a few $100 gee thanks i said... I was thinking of going up to delaware no taxes ?? The hustler's Super Z come in around $8900.00. I probably will go this route. John what are you guys paying for the turf tracer23 kaw 60 inch cut up there.

ball park 6,500. i strongly suggest another dealer and demo the two riders. the tt is my favorite because it will do everything,its only draw back is very large areas.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-16-2006, 05:56 PM
ball park 6,500. i strongly suggest another dealer and demo the two riders. the tt is my favorite because it will do everything,its only draw back is very large areas.
Yea thats what i thaught ,same here John. 6,500.. The Turf Tracer is a Beast of a walk -behind. Ino the dealer is high on the ZTR. BOTH HUSTLER AND EXMARK HAVE GREAT DEALER SUPPORT HEAR LOTS OF PARTS IN STOCK TOO. I no will demo the units. There both good! But i do like the bigger horses on the Exmark.

John Gamba
11-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea thats what i thaught ,same here John. 6,500.. The Turf Tracer is a Beast of a walk -behind. Ino the dealer is high on the ZTR. BOTH HUSTLER AND EXMARK HAVE GREAT DEALER SUPPORT HEAR LOTS OF PARTS IN STOCK TOO. I no will demo the units. There both good! But i do like the bigger horses on the Exmark.

Try a different dealer for price. if you like i think i'm ordering a tt 60 23 for the spring, come up and demo it.

tacoma200
11-16-2006, 06:29 PM
You need a new dealer, he's way out of range on the price. That sounds like the list price, he must take you for a fool. I gave $8,400 for my regular lazer 27hp/60" in the middle of 05. The AS should be less. I have better tires, bigger tires, bigger tanks, bigger wheel motors, etc, etc.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-16-2006, 07:03 PM
You need a new dealer, he's way out of range on the price. That sounds like the list price, he must take you for a fool. I gave $8,400 for my regular lazer 27hp/60" in the middle of 05. The AS should be less. I have better tires, bigger tires, bigger tanks, bigger wheel motors, etc, etc.
I thaught that as well considering , he quoted me $9600.00 for the Standerd Laser With the triton deck 28 KAW 60 INCH DECK. He also said wait till promo's that would be coming out in Jan. 07 I probably will just get the Big Turf Tracer 23 Kaw 60 With the ultra cut Deck.

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Just to chime in for you guys...

I posted up above that the TIRES HAVE BEEN UPDATED.

tacoma200
11-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Just to chime in for you guys...

I posted up above that the TIRES HAVE BEEN UPDATED.
Yea that might be, it said 4 ply, but they are smaller and the front is air filled (which I like better since Lazers ride rough anyway), but the wheel motors are Danfoss I think, not sure if the pumps are as big? Great mower either way.

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Yea that might be, it said 4 ply, but they are smaller and the front is air filled (which I like better since Lazers ride rough anyway), but the wheel motors are Danfoss I think, not sure if the pumps are as big? Great mower either way.

4 ply TURFMASTERS... not those cheapt things that they used to put on them that looked like you could give then a flat with a thumbtack.

The drive is hydro gear 12cc pumps with matching hydro gear wheel motors.
Still only 9.5 mph... which I prefer... but I'm sure others won't like that.

Me, I have no use for 15mph... I wanna run long uphill grades without bogging out.

John Gamba
11-17-2006, 06:29 AM
4 ply TURFMASTERS... not those cheapt things that they used to put on them that looked like you could give then a flat with a thumbtack.

Me, I have no use for 15mph... I wanna run long uphill grades without bogging out.

Envy
when they came out with the as it l;looked just like the first lazer, they called the tires dog bone tread.

tacoma200
11-17-2006, 10:02 AM

It's a great no frill mower, nobody will notice its slightly slower unless you tell them. I have not use for 15 mph here either. Not the way lazers ride especially, which is better than a Scag but not hardly as good as the Super Z.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-17-2006, 10:08 AM
UNDER POWERED on a size machine like that 28 horses will never cut it.

tacoma200
11-17-2006, 10:20 AM
UNDER POWERED on a size machine like that 28 horses will never cut it.Well I ran it with 23 hp and got the job done. I now have a 27 and it is over powered most of the time exept in a few situations such as Spring growth and 2 week mowings. Of course you can never have enough but the 25/60 Lazer was the standard for years. My next one will be a 28,29 or 31.

TLS
11-17-2006, 10:42 AM
UNDER POWERED on a size machine like that 28 horses will never cut it.

That new 28hp Kawi is a powerhouse on paper. It should perform VERY well. Just look at its size....764cc's aren't there for looks! 90 more cc's than the 25hp Kawi!

Nothing to sneeze at.

jtkplc
11-17-2006, 11:01 AM
That new 28hp Kawi is a powerhouse on paper. It should perform VERY well. Just look at its size....764cc's aren't there for looks! 90 more cc's than the 25hp Kawi!

Nothing to sneeze at.

Would the 28hp Kaw. have the same bolt pattern and possibly fit on my 260Z to replace my 25 hp Kaw.?

TLS
11-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Would the 28hp Kaw. have the same bolt pattern and possibly fit on my 260Z to replace my 25 hp Kaw.?

Isn't a 260 Vertical shaft?

jtkplc
11-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Isn't a 260 Vertical shaft?

Yes, that just dawned on me. They will probably could out with vertical shaft high horsepower motors though.

Envy Lawn Service
11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I think that guy was overlooking the fact that the 72" is just a new option for this year... and not the only deck option. You can get a 28hp 52" if you want...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Not to unsult no one been in this a few years and know to go with big engines for the long haul.

fiveoboy01
11-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I think that guy was overlooking the fact that the 72" is just a new option for this year... and not the only deck option. You can get a 28hp 52" if you want...

I take this to mean that the only Ultracut deck size available is the 72"?

I still want to see if the fix is in for the Triton deck.

John Gamba
11-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I take this to mean that the only Ultracut deck size available is the 72"?

Ultracut sizes --- 52 -60-72-

tacoma200
11-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Nothing to sneeze at.
How does that compare to the 31 hp Vanguard (ci). I wish I knew the torque specs for the Kaw but they are not listed on the website. It seems to have two carbs so I'm wondering about fuel consumption. Exmark told me Kaw will underate the power of an engine compared to Kohler......?

John Gamba
11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
How does that compare to the 31 hp Vanguard (ci). I wish I knew the torque specs for the Kaw but they are not listed on the website. It seems to have two carbs so I'm wondering about fuel consumption. Exmark told me Kaw will underate the power of an engine compared to Kohler......?

The only thing i know is the 23 kaws i had did use more fuel but gave more power then the kohlers

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
What size deck on the 23 kaw.

Envy Lawn Service
11-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Ultracut sizes --- 52 -60-72-

Thanks John :usflag:

More specifically, these are the 4 models.

25 hp Kohler 60" UltraCut

28 hp Kawasaki 52" UltraCut
28 hp Kawasaki 60" UltraCut
28 hp Kawasaki 72" UltraCut

tacoma200
11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I meant earlier that the 28 Kaw had a double barrel carb instead of two carbs. No one remembers how many cc the 31 Briggs Vanguard has compared to the 764cc for the Kaw?

jtkplc
11-17-2006, 11:42 PM
I meant earlier that the 28 Kaw had a double barrel carb instead of two carbs. No one remembers how many cc the 31 Briggs Vanguard has compared to the 764cc for the Kaw?

895 is what their website says for the 31hp Vanguard.

TLS
11-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Kawi's been using double barrel carbs for quite a while. The 27LC was a 2bbl. After you get so big with the cc's of an engine, you need to increase the cfm of the carb. If you keep it with one round butterfly, you loose velocity through the carb and you loose the throttle response/low end torque. By using a 2bbl carb, each venturi is smaller, yet for high rpm flow, you still have the high cfm flow.

Kohler had problems with their 2bbl carb on the 30hp. I really don't think it had much to do with the fact that it was a 2bbl design....just that their design was flawed. Could have easily happened to a redesign of a 1bbl carb of theirs.

tacoma200
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Kawi's been using double barrel carbs for quite a while. The 27LC was a 2bbl. After you get so big with the cc's of an engine, you need to increase the cfm of the carb. If you keep it with one round butterfly, you loose velocity through the carb and you loose the throttle response/low end torque. By using a 2bbl carb, each venturi is smaller, yet for high rpm flow, you still have the high cfm flow.

Kohler had problems with their 2bbl carb on the 30hp. I really don't think it had much to do with the fact that it was a 2bbl design....just that their design was flawed. Could have easily happened to a redesign of a 1bbl carb of theirs.
I sure didn't know that. Thanks....