PDA

View Full Version : stick edgers=time savers?

cutntrim
06-20-2001, 09:58 PM
We use T-230 Shindaiwa's. Great trimmers, no complaints. I've been eyeing the Shindaiwa stick edgers though and seriously considering adding one to our equip lineup.

Are they noticeably more productive than using string trimmers alone. We currently trim all sidewalk and bed edges every week except during dry spells. I'm envisioning only edging along walks bi-weekly if we used a stick edger. Obviously we'd still trim around objects and horizontally trim areas the mowers can't reach, weekly.

Do those of you with stick edgers use them every week, or bi-weekly? Do they just save a little time each time you edge? Or do the cut down the NUMBER of times you need to edge?

Are they versatile enough to handle different edge depths? Different properties have different depths to their edges. Do you adjust the blade on the spot to dig down to different depths? Also edges along some walks/driveways are wider than others. The grass doesn't cozy right up to the paved surface. How do they work for that? Do you run the wheel along the turf instead of the driveway?

Lot's of questions and I'd know the answer if I wanted to drop $50 to rent one for the day, but that's what the forum's for right?

Thanks

cp
06-20-2001, 10:06 PM
I use an Echoe edger and really like it. I have had several comments on the use of string trimmers as edgers and I occasionally do the same but it doesn't take long for that edge to grow fat and my customers want the turf up to the sidewalk/drive, etc..

Nice clean crisp cut, looks good...

cutntrim
06-20-2001, 10:08 PM
Having been doing this for over a decade, I'm able to string trim an edge without it growing in size. The same cannot be said for most of my employees over the years though. I'm thinking the stick edger will eliminate/reduce this problem.

syzer
06-20-2001, 10:13 PM
Nothing can compare to a stick edgers edge and speed. We just picked up *another* account today who dropped their guy for chewing their edges up. Def. get one!

George777
06-20-2001, 10:15 PM
my partner and I use both a stick edger and a trimmer. I like to use the edger first. The grass will stand up, than follow through with the trimmer to level it out. I've about got it down. For beds I'll use the trimmer and than feather it.

Today, I was the strim trimmer man and I like the tech of using a combination of both. Try it one time and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Bill K
06-20-2001, 10:17 PM
I'm using a Shindaiwa edger, and I love it. To me, it's much faster than edging with a trimmer and does a better job. However, I don't edge less frequently than I would with a trimmer. Still, lots of potential customers have asked me, "What do you edge with?" That suggests that they're hip to the difference. And when I tell them I use a real edger, they say that's what they wanted to hear. So it's also a sales tool.

Yes, it's adjustable to different edging depths, though I normally adjust the depth only as the blade wears down and begins skipping onto the concrete.

I roll the wheel on the LOWER surface, whether that's the lawn or the concrete. Giving the edger a very slight bit of angle toward opposite side (leaning the power head toward the operator) seems to help, especially when the turf is the lower surface.

Bottom line: Buy one and you'll be happy.

Lawn DOG
06-20-2001, 10:45 PM
You and your customers will be impressed with the new look. It gives that crisp professional finish. We use the Echo and Stihl. We also have the walk behind unit but only use this on properties that we take over and the previous LCO did not use a edger. Once you have got use to using one you will be just as fast as using a string trimmer. We go thru alot of edger blades(they are cheap).
Good luck!

TLS
06-20-2001, 11:04 PM
I use an Echo and sometimes I roll it on the wheel and other times I just float it along with the wheel just floating above the sidewalk or curb.

I edge every time, no skipping weeks.

Definately get one, their worth every penny.

You CAN NOT dupilcate the quality edge of an edger with a weedwacker.

65hoss
06-21-2001, 12:20 AM
I have the Stihl stick edger. It does a great job. I have not been able to bog it down once. It works best with fescue and zoysia. The aggressive runners of bermuda will sometimes get skipped. So on bermuda lawns we double check with the trimmer. It is much faster with the edger than a trimmer. As fast as you can walk forward it will edge. Cuts edging time for us in half.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 12:45 AM
got an echo and a tanaka push both sit in shop can do just as good with weed eater with square line from Lesco .095

GreenQuest Lawn
06-21-2001, 01:41 AM
I have a shindaiwa also. Great edger. I edge by-weekly if needed.

cutntrim
06-22-2001, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go ahead and buy a Shindaiwa.

cos
06-22-2001, 02:02 PM
My stick edger is in storage collecting dust.

script
06-22-2001, 02:40 PM
The stick edger is much better than the trimmer. Whenever I get a new account that has been edged with a trimmer and has an inch wide trench, I'll let the edges grow for a week or two until the grass grows over the edge of the walk, and then I'll edge it along the cement. As fast as you can walk, that's how fast you'll edge once you get the hang of it.

racerdave
06-22-2001, 03:04 PM
1. I feel like I'm cheating the customer if I use a string trimmer for edge work.
2. I did compare times between a string trimmer and a stick edger. For me, the edger is faster.
3. later in the day it's much easier to use the edger when your tired.
4. Edged looks better.

David