PDA

View Full Version : End Of Season

rodfather
11-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Anyone happy? Actually, I'm thrilled since it has been non stop this year. Few more leaves and then wait for the snow.

BSDeality
11-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Can't wait for it to be over and I can sit on my ass full time (as opposed to part time this week with all the rain). As I said in my other post I've hit my mark for sales for the year and knowing that has put a "whatever happens, happens" attitude in me. I have no desire to get out there and battle wet leaves and wind. I'm waiting for the sunny days to come back before I go back out there.

Bring on the snow, I wanna go snowmobiling and skiing darnit!

lawnguyland
11-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Hells yeah! This is the earliest that this many leaves have been off of the trees in eons.
After tonight- FUG HEDDA BOUT IT
I won't be done with leaves for a few more weeks at least, but it will be an earlier finish than usual. Sweeeeeeeet! Then snowalicious time.

rodfather
11-16-2006, 05:27 PM
It's kind of funny cause everyone in the NE says the leaves are early this year. Hold on now...Rf did some background checking on the ole puter to look at previous years. The last 2 years the leaves were about 2 or 3 weeks late, so that is why they seem early this year!

parkeeee
11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually I am glad this season has come to an end.

Everything but the pressure washer has been winterized and stored.

I had a good year.

daveintoledo
11-16-2006, 06:15 PM
great year, hope to finish all cleanups by the weekend after thanksgiving,

crzymow
11-16-2006, 06:32 PM
I cant wait for it to be over, have a few more cleanups to do then I'm done. Ive been fighting rain since labor day weekend, most years i mow 3 times in oct, this year 2 times at most, and probably half only once. to much rain, I had 14 inches of rain in my gauge in oct, i think the ave for the month is more like 4. I just want to be done!!!!!

Signature Landscaping1
11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
God I cant wait. Im getting out of mowing and moving on to another profession. But I am plain sick of this stuff! Only a few more cleanups and im FREE!!!

robby
11-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Last day of the year for me is tomorrow (friday), and I feel like a school kid on the last day of school before summer break. Monday we leave for South Beach Miami for a month. From cutting grass, to topless beaches!:clapping:

Lux Lawn
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
It's kind of funny cause everyone in the NE says the leaves are early this year. Hold on now...Rf did some background checking on the ole puter to look at previous years. The last 2 years the leaves were about 2 or 3 weeks late, so that is why they seem early this year!

Rod, you are just the little detective aren't you.LOL

Yes, part of me really wants the season to end already.We have had so much rain this fall that the leaves have been tough to deal with. But on the other hand it beats whats coming next..........SNOW.

Uranus
11-16-2006, 07:29 PM
I got about 28 cleanups left. This weather is killing me. Huge wind storm a few weeks ago brought all the maples down and half of the oaks all at once. Now its raining or wet every day. I was doing 5 or 6 cleanups a day and now with the volume of wet leaves I'm happy to just do 4 a day. Flooding rains tonight, yea!, I'll go out around noon and do some small cleanups and next week looks dry finally. Once I'm done I'm sitting on my butt for a week and not even going to think about the business. After that I'll get my taxes together and buy an 07 F550 and a new mower or 2.

nobagger
11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Almost done! This weekend we only have 4 decent sized clean ups to do and thats it! We actually got 3 calls for one last mowing from non-customer's this week because their regular service put the mower's away for the year. My God people ist the middle of freak'in November. Can't wait to use the new truck and plow again, maybe this weekend into Monday chance of snow shower's.

Jpocket
11-16-2006, 08:20 PM
This was a great year I learned alot. Had a few ups And downs. I Met and exceeded most of my goals. Now it's time to get a plan together for next season, I have few thoughts in mind. We may mow some more mon-wed for thanks giving, after that it's a few weeks of clean-ups.

I can't say enough that i learned alot this year. I just need to define a clear direction for the company, I don't think I want to grow MUCH more once we reach a certain size i just want toi "maintain".

I can't wait to be plowing snow, it's a much simpler time of year.

KS_Grasscutter
11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Well, after this last week, I am ready to be done for a while. I mean, between underpricing EVERY one of my leaf jobs by WAY toooo much, it has just really been upsetting me every time I think about it. And a friend that has been "helping" out once in a while and needs paid, I didnt make much on cleanups. Then consider the fact that I came real close to burning up my ZTR on Monday, and almost putting it in a creek today, I am about ready to just quit for the season. Add to the equation a bunch of extra costs, and ******* neighbors on a new lawn I picked up, but also lost the acct this week, so I guess that is a non-issue now.

I am just so FRUSTRATED about barely breaking even on cleanups and almost losing my mower twice... i am ready for a break. Also, did i mention I get to buy a new bumper for my pickup since i crashed into my trailer. Yep. I parked the trailer across the street, then pulled into the driveway. When i was leaving, had the rock station turned up a LITTLE tooo loud, was going way to fast, and just FORGOT i put the trailer there, as i NEVER park on that side of the road. Yep, I hit it HARD, as in the trailer rolled out into the middle of the street:hammerhead: .

Well, I guess this is just one of those situations where you need to :laugh: to keep from :cry: , but I deserve to be :hammerhead: .

GreenN'Clean
11-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm happy that the season is over but now i have alot of work to do around the house since i have the time now that i didn't have during the summer. New floors,counter tops,entire kitchen to redo,bathroom etc....

KS_Grasscutter
11-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I guess in all fairness, I should include the GOOD things about this season. For starters, I found lawnsite.com, which I think has been very helpful to me on many things. Met a couple local people on here, who I can turn to if I have a problem or need help on a job or whatever. Used tips on here to improve my work quality, and also doubled my customer base this year. Have almost ALL new equipment this season, except a trimmer and 21". The last good thing, is I think I lost enough money I dont need to worry about having to give a whole lot to the govt. next april.

AL Inc
11-16-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm happy we're coming to an end. I could use about a week off. Actually had a far better year than expected, things on the install side were busy this year. We signed another job this week, depending on the weather next month, may do it after clean-ups are done, or wait until spring. I would so much rather be doing landscape work in January than pushing snow. Crossing my fingers for a mild winter:) Now if it would just stop raining, I'd like to get back to clean-ups. After tonight, I would say final clean-ups can start next week.

lawn_pro
11-16-2006, 10:20 PM
we have about three weeks or so of clean-ups left....it'll be nice to get em done....it really couldn't be any drier and dusty around here...Im ready for winter- the equipment looks about as dirty as it can get...

sildoc
11-16-2006, 10:29 PM
All I can say is LUCKY you guys.
This week we have started hitting th leaves hard. First week of december we start all our clean ups. Looks like we will be doing clean ups till mid january and feb we start to fert and cut again. No snow here. 40-42 mows per year weekly and all the shrubs and roses you could ever want to prune.
I do however take a week off for elk season 2 weeks off for christmas and various days through the rest of the year to keep me sane.

WJW Lawn
11-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Im curious about the guys in VA, NC, SC, & GA....when are you guys going to be wrapping up? We've had so much rain lately...I can't crap done. Leaf cleanups continue on...probably til mid December.

salandscape
11-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Can't wait for this dawm rain to end so I can finish up the straggler work and pray for snow! Ready to be done but can't stand the idea of nothing to do! This week has been almost a toatl washout in NE and I've gone stir crazy already! Had a great year as far as growth goes, terrible year with help. can't handle another year of constant baby sitting, I am happy with net profit, but then when I think about what we could have done if I didn't have to double check the weedwacking at each house no matter which guy is running it, it makes me sad to say the least. This winters project find good help that can help me grow not just show up! But I'm off subject.

Groomer
11-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Ditto on the RAIN!!! Man, I'm sick of wet leaves. We have a good 2 weeks of cleanup left, and some final cuts. If the weather stays warm we could work into december. I've cut the week before christmas some seasons. Next week looks dry,than god.

lawnsbytim
11-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Feel sorry for you guys with all the rain. We had 3" of snow last weekend and melted monday. Plan on adding 20-25% more time on the jobs 'cause all the leaves on the bottom stick to the ground.

ECS
11-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Been done for about 4 weeks now. Just wish the snow would hit now. Been getting a little but only one plow day so far.

jasonnau
11-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Glad it's almost over. I've had to work almost every weekend for the last two months just to make up the rain days. I hope it snows like it's rained this fall. As for the end of the season, I'll hopefully be done with all the leaf clean ups, pruning, and various little end of year projects by the first week in December. I could make a few phone calls though to keep it going a little longer. It's been a good year though. I haven't been to lawnsite since February last year. March 1st this year the $hit hit the fan, and it's been non stop since. The only drought we had was at the end of August. Other than that, it's been at least 4 cuts per month for all my customers. It kind of makes up for the lack luster winter we had last year. I just wish it would stop raining for one solid week!

LawnBrother
11-17-2006, 11:17 PM
I had a good year, looking at a decent finish. Kinda glad it's over, ready for a break!

fyshstykr
11-18-2006, 03:19 AM
Pretty much done.

This being my first year in business and I am very happy where it has gone as all my customers want me back and I am already taking new accounts for next season.
I have learned a ton and plan on adding another person to my crew( myself and 1 other this year) and also see no problem in doubling up my acct's if not a bit more for next season.
This job beats the hell out of being inside all the time with no windows, 12 hour rotating shifts(weekly) and corporate b.s.
Still have a lot to learn but happy to be here!
fysh.:clapping:

MOW ED
11-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Yesterday was the official end for me. Did 4 touch ups and put everything to sleep. That was an all day clean and maintenance session. It was a good year and I hope to have exactly the same if not better next year. Good Luck to all.

chuck bow
11-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Been done since tuesday the 14 of Nov and Glad its over, been nonstop since mid march and iam ready for 3 and a half months on the couch doing nothing at all

noseha
11-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Its was a great year!!!!!!!!!!

Turfcutters Plus
11-18-2006, 05:19 PM
God I cant wait. Im getting out of mowing and moving on to another profession. But I am plain sick of this stuff! Only a few more cleanups and im FREE!!!
Another one bits the dust.That's too bad.I'm in this for the long haul.Amazing$$$for time worked,no employees,i will continue being a one man dynamo!I get all the rest i need through season and after season.I'm always ready to go by spring.This year was great.Good luck to you in whatever you do for a living.:drinkup: :sleeping:

WJW Lawn
11-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Another one bits the dust.That's too bad.I'm in this for the long haul.Amazing$$$for time worked,no employees,i will continue being a one man dynamo!I get all the rest i need through season and after season.I'm always ready to go by spring.This year was great.Good luck to you in whatever you do for a living.:drinkup: :sleeping:

Im with you brotha!! :usflag:

MOW ED
11-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Of course all my stuff is cleaned and put away and I get homw from vacation Sunday afternoon and there is a guy who wants me to clean the rest of his leaves and aerate his lawn.
He will have to wait til next year. I ain't gettin everything dirty unless hes payin 125.00 per hour plus a half day clean up cost too.
Hes not even a regular customer, just a once a year guy who usually calls me the last minute in the spring time. Looks like I'll put him to the top of the 07 list. Happy Holidays.

Turfdude
11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
End of the season??
Yes the leaves are early. We will start our final clean-ups tomorrow. I still have at least 2, maybe 3 sod jobs (if the fields dry enough for cutting). I am in the middle of re-doing a church's landscape and have deposits on 3 more jobs. I think we'll go thru Christmas, but that is actually about 2-3 weeks early for us. Hope everyone had banner years. I know we did well.

Evan528
11-26-2006, 07:50 PM
We are starting out final round of leaf cleanups tomorrow also. I can never remember 95% of leaves being down my Nov 15th like this year. Looks like 2 more weeks for us and we will be shutting down. Definitly looking forward to some rest and relaxation. Its been a hectic year.... but we did well.:drinkup:

nobagger
11-27-2006, 07:13 AM
YES!!!!!!we are finally done as well. We didn't stop all summer, tons of work this year so that has been good for us, picked up some great accounts and things are looking good for next years as well. I can't wait to sit on my butt and mow next year (07 Exmark Lazer HP under the tree this year)lol. I just cant wait to move my trailer so I don't have to hear my wife complain about parking,lol

KS_Grasscutter
11-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, I was hoping to have got done yesterday, but that didnt quite materialize. Still got three or four cleanups to get done this week, and then I think thats it. FINALLY got that tree job done I have been working on. Did "final" cleanups on a few places Saturday, but am sure at least one of them will be hit again. Am kinda glad I got a few left though, because i NEED money...

BTW, reason I am on here thismorning and not at school is I forgot to take my allergy medicine Saturday AND Sunday, so now I feel like crap. Went through like a box of klenex just now typing this post here...

cborden
11-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Yes, I'm glad the season is over. January 2nd, I'll start refurbishing three of the walk behinds and by February 2nd, I'll be waiting on mowing season to start again. :laugh:

Elite Lawn Care
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I finished up the last week of October, I am glad just because I burned out a bit this year. I'll take off until end of December and then do some dry stack walls with a friend that owns a landscape company, they passed off all their clients to me for maint accounts. Now I'll get dental work done that I have pushed off. Dehydration causes cavities guys! the dentist is a good reason to make sure you drink your water and floss after lunch!