PDA

View Full Version : OK.. make it $65 and you can find someone else

jbell113
11-16-2006, 06:26 PM
I gave a bid on a small commercial property about 7 weeks ago. About half acre of grass, some big bushes and lots of trees and a ton of cars to work around. I was dealing with the front desk clerk who answers phones and basically just sits there all day. Any way she was the one that oversees the landscape management part of the business and gives out the check. I told her my monthly rate for this property and she said there building a new building next door so she dont want to do a contract till after its built...I said fine. She tells me the last guy was mowing the grass for $65.00 and that she would pay me that for now and I said fine. I show up the next day and mow and as I was in the back of the property I noticed a bull dozer starting up right in the middle of where Im going to mow and the guy says dont worry about cutting all this back here cuz we are going to tear it up any way. So I finished the rest of the property and had a small amount leaf clean up involved in this also. I figured the extra work for the leaves was justification for not mowing in the back and I went and collected my $65.00. Came back in 2 weeks and did the exact same thing except double the amount of leaves this time so I charged her $70.00 and she paid it. Come 3 weeks later and double the leaves on top of last time and went to collect and told her $70.00 she paused and said it had come to her attention that I was doing less work and charging more money. I said the whole extra five dollars Im charging you is for leaf clean up that takes me an extra 30 min to do. She said the owner is not willing to pay more than $65.00. I said OK give me the $65.00 and you can find somebody else. The nerve of some people

crawdad
11-17-2006, 06:03 AM
I gave a bid on a small commercial property about 7 weeks ago. About half acre of grass, some big bushes and lots of trees and a ton of cars to work around. I was dealing with the front desk clerk who answers phones and basically just sits there all day. Any way she was the one that oversees the landscape management part of the business and gives out the check. I told her my monthly rate for this property and she said there building a new building next door so she dont want to do a contract till after its built...I said fine. She tells me the last guy was mowing the grass for $65.00 and that she would pay me that for now and I said fine....

There's your first mistake. When they say, "the last guy did it for..."
the correct response is, "Where is he now?"

John Gamba
11-17-2006, 06:17 AM
There's your first mistake. When they say, "the last guy did it for..."
the correct response is, "Where is he now?"

#2 Mistake --- always tell them about the extras before you do them for free.

cush
11-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Don't let customers tell you your price. Heck even Wal-mart knows that.

Team-Green L&L
11-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Never let a client negotiate your pricing unless they do your books! Good rule of thumb. Also, always get authorization from a representative in writing when a change order affects the quality of your performance.

J&R Landscaping
11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I would have been out of there when the customer was telling me how much she would pay. Just out of curiosity, what price did you have in your mind for the mowing and such.

I think I know why they were looking for another lco though, they probably got dropped by the last several for being a pita.

Prestige-Lawncare
11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
... She tells me the last guy was mowing the grass for $65.00 and that she would pay me that for now and I said fine ...

This was where your mistake was. You agreed to $65.00 ... and the very next cut you raised it to $70. No matter if the work was more or not (actually you were mowing less anyway because of the construction) ... you agreed to $65., am I correct?

:nono:

jonim
11-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I totally agree with Prestige! I read the post on this forum almost all the time and every now and then I cant help but to share my .02! It sounds like you had a verbal agreement to the $65.00 just by reading what you wrote! Always get the ok first from your customers before you surprise them with a price change! I personally would not like it if I got a qoute from someone doing a service for me and when I got the bill it was more than what was agreed upon! Also, You tell the customer what you charge! Not the other way around.

David Haggerty
11-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh! I don't agree with Prestige. Or jonim either for that matter.

Sure the lawn mowing was for $65. But what about the leaves? Are they FREE! just because they weren't mentioned?

The work needed done. He did it for a reasonable rate. Bill them for it!

BTW I don't give any discount for having construction in progress. It's actually harder to mow with construction going on. Though I do try to mow around the site as best as I can.

I don't agree with this attitude that if you can slip something past the LCO they should do the work for free.
And I don't have much respect for the customer who hides behind the receptionist either. Oh! that wasn't "approved" so it must be free. Give me a break!

Believe me, they would have ben just as upset if he'd done nothing with the leaves.

Free leaf control....Come on!

grass disaster
11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
you got greedy.

jonim
11-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Sure the lawn mowing was for $65. But what about the leaves? Are they FREE! just because they weren't mentioned?

BTW I don't give any discount for having construction in progress. It's actually harder to mow with construction going on. Though I do try to mow around the site as best as I can.

I don't agree with this attitude that if you can slip something past the LCO they should do the work for free.
And I don't have much respect for the customer who hides behind the receptionist either. Oh! that wasn't "approved" so it must be free. Give me a break!

Believe me, they would have ben just as upset if he'd done nothing with the leaves.

How hard is it to walk back in the freakin and say " Hey I was looking at the property (like your supposed to do anyway before you bid) and I noticed that Im going to have to do the leaves too and it will be whatever your charge is"! Just to let the customer know. Im not saying to do the service for FREE, Im just saying let the customer know what you are doing or what you are gonna have to charge extra for. That way you both can be happy in the end and you have just won a new customer. There's alot of things that have to be done but you just cant go in and do it without the customers authorization. How many customers are you gonna keep if you keep doing what YOU what to. Communicate with them. This is what should have happened in the beginning. Bid the freakin job, Agree, do the job! See something that needs to be done, tell them, agree and do the job. They disagree, dont do the job. How hard is that??? Communication with your customers is key to running a successful business Haggerty.

MarcSmith
11-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I told her my monthly rate for this property and she said there building a new building next door so she dont want to do a contract till after its built...I said fine.

Sorry I would have walked away right there....no contract, no service....Even if you had put up a 3 month contract....something to just CYA...Now you've got an upset client who will most likely find someone else to bully around unless you cave in and do the leaf cleanup for free.

Its not right....you shoudl get paid for your work, but rememebr you working with out a contract so all extra work needed to be agreed upon before you started

Prestige-Lawncare
11-20-2006, 11:40 AM

Believe me, they would have Ben just as upset if he'd done nothing with the leaves.

I see what you are saying ... but he agreed to the $65. for mowing only. The customer did not ask for a discount because there was already some construction going on ... nor did he charge them less for mowing less area. BUT ... if he went ahead and did the leaf job without asking, and then tried to charge for it ... I think, in my opinion, he was wrong. You never ever do additional work without talking to the property owner or manager.

Just my opinion ... but then ... that's how I operate my business. I only do the work that has been asked to do, or approved to do. After that, if they request it ... that is the time you let them know there will be an additional charge for work performed.

green_with_envy
11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
The price was for mowing...not leaf work....you should have charged 65$. They agreed to pay you 65$ for mowing. Where in there do you assume to do leaf work and up-charge?

sildoc
11-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Sorry I would have walked away right there....no contract, no service....Even if you had put up a 3 month contract....something to just CYA...Now you've got an upset client who will most likely find someone else to bully around unless you cave in and do the leaf cleanup for free.

Its not right....you shoudl get paid for your work, but rememebr you working with out a contract so all extra work needed to be agreed upon before you started
I have to agree that I will not do anything with out a contract. I do admit to my very long time clients for say planting annuals or other xtras I will get a verbal for that particular job and charge them (never been screwed yet). but for an initial first time client no way will I work with out a contract.
Contracts spell out the work to be done and what they pay. If it is not in contract it does not get done.

jbell113
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I wanted to Thank everyone for there input on this and this:hammerhead: was a LESSON LEARNED.