PDA

View Full Version : But I got a better price last year

NNJLandman
11-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I was pretty proud last night when I hung up the phone. Did an estimate for a fall cleanup for this guy the other day, property is covered in leaves, plenty of matured plantings and beds to be blowed out, and a fenced in pool area with plantings, so basically its a pretty time consuming job for 2 to 3 guys plus vacing the leaves. Quote the guy $475.00, so he leaves a message he wants to talk to me, he says last year he got someone to do it for $350.00, I said well between gas, insurance, employee, taxes, business expenses I will not lower my price, $475 is my price and we will do an excellant job. I even have a full maint. customer up the street from him, who loves our work that I mentioned to him we do. Still he said....okay uhh uhhh let me call you back. But I was just proud that I stood my ground didnt drop my price. Thats odd if someone last year did the job for that price...why not hire them back...was he lieing about having someone doing it, was this the first time he was looking to hire someone to do a cleanup, did this mystery company do a horrible job for that wonderful price??? Who knows :)

Jeff

Uranus
11-16-2006, 08:32 PM
He was trying to get you down to 400.

nobagger
11-16-2006, 08:48 PM
When I first started I found myself lowering prices, not hundred's of dollars but none-the-less lowering them. I have learned thoughout my years thats 75% of the people are trying to get your price down. The last two years I have gained a lot of new customer's and don't really need the "extra" work outside of my customer's but I hate to turn anything down, but in the last couple of years I can honestly say I have lowered my price only a handfull of times and thats only by a very small % to try and get their full service instead of just the leaves or spring clean up and its worked.

Harvest
11-16-2006, 09:09 PM
He probably had someone do it but probably not for that price. He was just trying to get you to lower your price I get it all the time. What I do now is estimate a little high so if they complain I have room to drop the price and still get my money.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-16-2006, 09:17 PM
It all comes down to your expense and cost and if your work routing is full.

topsites
11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
To me, any answer besides yes automatically means no.

I wouldn't have even bothered to call back, because in my experience I don't always win that stupid argument...
Then if I win their answer is still no, lets not get into what happens when I lose.

AL Inc
11-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Good for you for sticking to your guns, Jeff. Unfortunately, there is still the "garage sale" mentality where people think that bargaining is to be expected. Run a professional operation, charge what you need to make money, and you will be fine. I've got a pretty good client list now, but occasionally I'll do a one time clean-up for a neighbor of a client. Sometimes I get them, sometimes not, but I'm sure not bargaining.
You are so much better off building a reputation as "expensive but high quality" . The clients you get will also be the ones who spend money on the extras, and landscape upgrades and design work.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
He was trying to get you down to 400.
Trying to play the old in between ,meet ya 1/2 way game .Stick with your price.

Roger
11-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Do you have paying work to do in place of the one you will not be doing?

lawnwizards
11-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Do you have paying work to do in place of the one you will not be doing?
it doesn't matter if he does or not. he shouldn't compromise his price just to get work. thats whats the matter with this industry. too much lowballing just to get the work. screw that. i'd rather sit in front of the t.v. then cussing under my breath while doing a lowballed job.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-17-2006, 10:14 AM
RIGHT, to much, yea i will cut it $5 bucks less, insurance whatz that, taxes whatz that,the old seasoned veterans here know, kudos.

salandscape
11-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Done working for nothing, in the end you just lose, you'll be expected to drop your price all time because they think they can get it out of you. Good job on sticking to your guns, I'd rather do maintenance on my equipment than lose money on a job.

DaughtryLC
11-17-2006, 11:00 AM
just another one wanting something for nothing!!!

rodfather
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Fall Cleanup rates in my business are NOT negotiable...case closed. I tell people that in a nice manner. As far as I am concerned, if you don't want to pay what I am asking, then it will be that much sooner I am finished for the year and can relax some.

sydanna Lawn Care
11-18-2006, 10:40 AM
it doesn't matter if he does or not. he shouldn't compromise his price just to get work. thats whats the matter with this industry. too much lowballing just to get the work. screw that. i'd rather sit in front of the t.v. then cussing under my breath while doing a lowballed job.I have to agree with you 100%. Lets all do each other a huge favour & keep it professional. I know a local low-baller & he can have it! After 10 years in business I am doing myself a huge favour by charging what something is really worth & not "worried" about losing the job. If I'm not making decent money then I'm not making much of a living. :weightlifter:

Uranus
11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I come to you all with my head hanging low today. I had a house for weekly mowings and it was sold this year. The day the new owners moved in I was in the neighborhood and approached them and got the cleanup. I called yesterday to see if they wanted me to do another and the old lady talked me down $20. I kicked myself in the but after hanging up. The only reason I let the "senior citizen discount" question work on me was cuz she asked about a price for plowing last time I was there. Did the cleanup and got my money on the spot and now they signed on for plowing and sidewalks shoveling too. So maybe being "nice" payed off this time.

Precision
11-18-2006, 04:30 PM
it doesn't matter if he does or not. he shouldn't compromise his price just to get work. thats whats the matter with this industry. too much lowballing just to get the work. screw that. i'd rather sit in front of the t.v. then cussing under my breath while doing a lowballed job.
thank you.

it is better to go broke doing nothing than to go broke working your butt off.

Jusmowin
11-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Lawn wizards is 100% correct, It really sucks when you take on a job and not make the money you really wanted to make. Stick to your price, because you know the first time you come down on your price that customer will have the upper hand on you and then everything will be a negotiable battle any time they want anything done.

WJW Lawn
11-18-2006, 09:03 PM

I second, third, fourth, and fifth that one!!