PDA

View Full Version : Testing blades

cp
06-20-2001, 10:16 PM
Well I started testing blades today. I have a 60" Lazer and have been running factory blades in a single config. The cut has been very good on most of my lawns. Thought I would try some of the combos I've been reading about...

Today was Gator Mag in a single setup, tall dry fescue and clover. Did not perform as well as the factory singles. Next cut I will try in a double config with the Gators on top. This yard is my testing ground because it is a bi weekly cut and I need to find the right combo to make this cut without having to double cut it.

I know there have been a lot of discussion on blades but I thought that I would just try some things and let you guys know how they turn out.

Eric ELM
06-20-2001, 10:23 PM
I have found when the grass is wet, double medium lift blades or one of them and a hi lift blade work good. When it's dry, a regular or hi lift along with a Gator type blade works good. I also have found the combination that works good for one deck, might not work as well on another deck, so try several combinations.

TLS
06-20-2001, 10:26 PM
Go out and buy OEM Dixie Chopper 60" solid foil blades. They work the best so far for my Lazer, aside from doubles. The doubles and dry weather = LOTS-A-DUST and LOTS-A-NOISE !!! I only use doubles for leaves.

phillipsce
06-20-2001, 11:17 PM
:confused: double blades? Can someone tell me what we're talking about? Explain how you put them on please.

Davis TLC
06-21-2001, 07:24 AM
phillipsce, here is a link that best describes the double blade setup. http://www.elmlawnsite.com/double_blades.htm

awm
06-21-2001, 07:34 AM
i dont think it would work on a 60 but i have found that 1/2 wt
universal hi lifts work real well on a 52.also noticeably less pull on the engine and clutch.i attribute the smooth sound to the fact that all four blades weigh the same.bend easier but you can streighten them out on the spindle with you hands or a pipewrench or something.works good in some applications. i dont know if the longer blade on the 60 would hold its strait shape at high bld speed.

cp
06-21-2001, 03:07 PM
I have noticed a little more pull on the engine with the thicker Gators, and I haven't check the RPMs for max power yet.

Hey Eric, if you see this, I was wondering if two med/high lift blades are heavier than one Mag.???

P&J Lawncare
06-21-2001, 10:35 PM
doubles dont work as good for us. We run all our mowers with two regular blades and one high lift blade on the chute side. Its the best combo for us.

Eric ELM
06-21-2001, 11:21 PM
cp, I have not seen a Magnum yet, but I would think 2 medium lift blades would be heavier. It's not the weight that is a problem, it's the amount of lift that slows down rpms.

cp
06-22-2001, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Eric.

I will try and be back with another set in a few.

The high lift on the chute side maybe worth a try...

Thanks all..:blob3:

phillipsce
06-22-2001, 10:17 PM
Thanks
do i need Magic mulcher
or the double blade bracket:confused:

Eric ELM
06-22-2001, 10:35 PM
No Phillip, you don't need either one. I just put all of those things on my website so all could see what I'm talking about.

phillipsce
06-24-2001, 10:55 AM

cp
06-27-2001, 08:39 PM
I've used a set of Gators in a single config. The cut on dry was not as good as the standard foil blades. But we cut the day the tropical storm was passing through and during the heaviest downfall there was no clogging and not that much left on the ground. They seem to work much better and after everything had dried there wasn't a lot of buildup under the deck..

Have switched back to the reg blades and will try the solid foil high lifts probably this Friday on the same property mentiond above.

TLS
06-27-2001, 08:53 PM
For you 60" Lazer guys, Try the OEM Exmark solid foil high lifts Part # 1-613250 it is a .204" thick, thin blade with solid air foils. My RPM's are up and the suction or lift are also greater. They only have a 4" sharpened edge, but I modify all my blades to get a 7" sharpened edge. I tried them today totally stock, didn't sharpen them. They actually came balanced perfectly and after I wire wheeled off the thick paint, were actually sharp! With the small 4" cutting edge, they cut better than the notched foil and generated more lift or suction. So far I have not been able to find a similar blade in the aftermarket catalogs, but will keep looking. They all seem to be .240" or thicker which is heavier and lugs the RPM's a bit. This OEM blade is what the OLD Dixie Chopper blades used to be before they made them thicker.

Happy cutting!

Shawn Burns
06-27-2001, 09:13 PM
eric,
how much does this change your cutting height from factory settings?

TLS
06-27-2001, 09:16 PM
It will lower your cut the thickness of a blade. If you are asking about double blades, right?

Shawn Burns
06-27-2001, 09:33 PM
yeah, thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure. this double blade stuff is new to me and i,ve been in the bisiness awhile. i have learned somthing today!!!

EJK2352
06-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Dixie1,
The blades you are running (soild lift/.203 thickness) are
available from Silver Streak part # 91-407 for 5/8" spindle bolt
and part # 91-188 for 1/2" spindle bolt. For you 52" guys part #
91-256 for 5/8" spindle bolt and part # 91-170 for 1/2" spindle
bolt. My Silver Streak dealer sells them to me for $9.50 each.
You Dixie guys should try them, you can gain some noticeable RPMs
They are .203 vs .250 on stock Dixie blades. ED

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 11:55 PM
Shawn, it is amazing what you can learn here. :)

Yes, as Dixie1 said, it lowers your cut about 1/4" which is nothing. If you use the double blade bracket, you drop another 1/4", so just raise the deck up a 1/2" and your back to where you were, but cutting up the clipping about double. :)

Ricky
06-28-2001, 11:38 AM
I purchased some blades at Landscapers Supply called "medium-lift". They were for my 60" DC. They have a 5/8" hole and are .203 in thickness for $7.99. But I must warn you that the shipping was $7.75 more than the web site showed for 2 sets of blades (the other set was gators). I am going to run the med. lifts as my top blade with gators instead of hi-lifts this time of year. :)

Shawn Burns
06-28-2001, 03:52 PM
where might i get the double blade brackets? i would love to try them out. with all the rain we've had in N.C. i'm mowing most of my stuff twice to get rid of clippings. looks good , but sure takes up more time!

cp
07-12-2001, 06:11 PM
OK, Well sorry it's taken so long but I finally got the solid foil (PN:613250) blades. Ran them in a single config. I agree with Dixie on this one they seem to get all the little things the other blades left behind. We are getting really dry here and the weeds are doing well of course. The solids worked very well and as Dixie pointed out earlier you just knock off a little paint and your in business.

The double blade issue is on hold until I can get a bolt long enough and strong enough for the JOB...

Nobody has a 5/8 bolt above grade 5:mad:

I won't dare try any double config with the factory bolt!!

P.S.

Shawn, there is no bracket for Exmarks, just be sure to torque the bolts to spec...

Chris..

slabpile
07-13-2001, 06:35 AM
"we cut the day the tropical storm was passing through and during the heaviest downfall there was no clogging and not that much left on the ground."

did you really mow the day a tropical strom came through? that is insane!

Shawn Burns
07-15-2001, 03:52 PM
i have a toro 44 w/b and a hustler z that i' d like to try them on. any ideas where i can get the double blade brakets?

cp
07-15-2001, 11:28 PM
Slabpile, Believe it or not it started out not being so bad. This is a big residential customer and had a party scheduled that weekend. After doing a lot of bed work the rains started and by the time we got to cutting it just didn't seem to matter. Get it over with and go home>>:D

Eric ELM
07-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Shawn, you do not need brackets to put on double blades. Just put them on in a + possition and torque them down like you normally would.

If you really want brackets, the only ones I know of are sold by Dixie Chopper dealers and they have a 5/8" hole in the center. They are $15 each.

If you want to see what they look like, I have a picture of them at the bottom of the double blade page on my website.

cp
07-16-2001, 10:01 AM
Eric, if the bracket has a 5/8 hole will it work on the Lazers?

Eric ELM
07-16-2001, 11:17 AM
I really don't know. I have have at least 100 emails asking this same question, but not one person has let me know. I'm not sure if they bought a set to try, but if anyone has, can you please let us know if they work on Lazers?

The only problem I can see is if the spindle housing itself is wider at the bottom than a DC spindle. If it is, I would think with a grinder, you could modify the top part of the bracket to work.

I do remember the spindle on a DC hangs down 3.5", but I don't remember the diameter of the spindle. I will measure it today since it's to hot and dry to do anything else, like mowing. :(

awm
07-16-2001, 07:07 PM
i started to put on a bracket but opted not,when i realized
a little give might save a blade from warping. also the fact that they work great without any bracket,contributed to my decision.

cp
07-16-2001, 09:14 PM
AWM, what spindle bolt are you using and where did you get it??

cp
09-12-2001, 11:00 PM
Well it took all summer but I finally ran a set of doubles today...

Slotted foils on the bottom and gators on the top. I had a two acre property on the market and I hadn't touched in two weeks. Well it was pretty high and weedy and I was really amazed at the difference. WOW. But I am getting a lot of blow back, I've never been so dirty after just cutting all day.

Final cut of the day was one of my weekly accounts and I always have trouble with this four acre lot, but today with the doubles I didn't miss a twig. Blow back was not as bad with normal weekly growth.

May drop the gators and go with double OEM blades....

Prayers for the fallen......:angel:

Runner
09-13-2001, 12:07 AM
cp,

For youyr earlier posts, anytime you run ANY Gators with no other blades, you never get a real clean cut for normal mowing. It must just be the lack of lift from the vented foils. Also, are you running a Lazer? It's been my (and many others since), experience that the notched foils tend to leave a streak toward the center of the row. It is caused by some of the grass laying downward. It almost resembles a "third track" a little, but is off to the left side (as you're sitting) of the deck a bit.

awm
09-13-2001, 02:08 PM
better late than never i hope . mine is standard issue 5/8
spindle bolt.

AltaLawnCare
09-13-2001, 04:37 PM
I'm having good luck with standards on bottom and atomic mulchers (same as gators). It will leave a strip sometimes during a left turn, but only in tall thick grass.

The only downside is noise and blowback.

This is on a 52" Toro SFS deck.

cp
09-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Yea runner it's a 60" Z. The only time I run into leaving grass or stripes is usually very tall or just a weed or two that lays down and pops up later.

And thanks AWM .

Billy, I did notice the big time blow back, but I kinda like the aircraft sound. It reminds me of days of old.

Just as a note, today I cut again with the double config and I noticed that the blades on the right had slipped and were nearly directly over one another. I torque my bolts with a hand wrench.

Do I need to increase the torque setting???:confused:

jnjnlc
09-13-2001, 11:00 PM
Shawn Burns,

I have a Toro 44" ZTR with SFS. I run doubles on it. I put a factory blade on the bottom and gators on top. I seperate them with a washer just thick enough so that I do not bend the blades. Not likely that I would bend them anyway but I use the washer as a safety.

Thanks

Shawn Burns
09-14-2001, 06:36 AM
jnjnlc,
I have since posting started running doubles on my toro, with good results. I had a problem with blow back until i turned up the R.P.M.'s. Running a 15 kohler i'm turning 3750 no load R.P.M.'s and that fixed my problem. I also am using the spacer method and a modified scalp cup too. Thanks for the response!

AltaLawnCare
09-14-2001, 10:22 AM
Shawn, I'm running the same thing - I thought that turning it up would make the blow back worse?

Whats yours taching engaged? Mine is right on 3500 engaged and in gear.

Shawn Burns
09-15-2001, 10:56 PM
AltaLawnCare,
To be a little bit clearer, i,ve got a Toro 44'' w/b belt drive w/ a 15 Kohler. My R.P.M's are 3750 no load and 3600 w/ double blades. Mostly i'm running standard Toro blades on bottom and Toro "atomic" mulching blades on top. The results i have had have been amazing in tall grass, even wet!!:)

Shawn Burns
09-15-2001, 11:04 PM
Also, i was not planning on turning it up helping my blow back problem, but after doing so i noticed that i was not seeing near
the blow back that i saw before.

AltaLawnCare
09-16-2001, 10:23 AM
Thanks,

I've got to pull mine down for maintenance today, I'm gonna try to turn mine up a little more.
It was dry yesterday and te dust about gagged me even with a dust mask.:mad:

I may try double standards again, I ran them in July and as I remember, they did good but didn't pull as hard.