PDA

View Full Version : Southern LCO's.. How much longer for you???

WJW Lawn
11-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Guys/Gals in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia & so on....how much longer do you have before you winterize the gear?

QualityLawnCare4u
11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
I have about one more time as the leaves are almost threw falling. I usually wind it up around Thanksgiving. Go on a long but broke vacation and catch up on stuff that needs doing around the house I get behind on in the summer.

Maitland Man
11-17-2006, 08:47 AM
We have to keep everythinh ready to roll year-round down here. It'll slow up to cutting every other week or so, at the longest. But with the the temp bouncing all over the place, humidity, and the occassional showers, we have to be prepared to cut on any given week.:weightlifter:

Dennis

jkingrph
11-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Just mowed yesterday, some little plants are covered in flowers, have mostly meadow grass mix. Will probably mow once more toward end of month. I find we are mowing later in year every year. 25 years ago early October was rare.

NickN
11-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Never have to winterize.Maintenance is all year.

NAT
11-17-2006, 09:50 AM
keep mowing into jan ,because i like the propertys to look good christmas time.and most contracts are 36 to 38 mows/year.

Beau Rivage
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Like QLC4U, I think I've got one last hoorah left. The grass is already pretty much done for it's just leaf work, trimming and blowing till thanksgiving and then try to get an early start on spring. (small projects on the truck and trailer etc.)

robbo521
11-17-2006, 10:26 AM
middle of Dec. for me.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I will be mowing and leaf mulching thru Dec. Then I will still maintain my accounts through the winter, picking up stick, blowing occasional leaves adn such. I will start back regular service in March.

No need to winterize my stuff. Will not be idle long enough.

mcclureandson
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
51 weeks a year for me...crews and myself take off from December 24th through January 1st.

Fantasy Lawns
11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm winterized as we speak .... gotta be atleast 68 outside ....got my sweats on ... heavy socks n a heavy shirt ..... gets any cooler n I'm crankin the heat on in the house ;-)

sjessen
11-17-2006, 07:50 PM
If I am lucky I will be finished with leaves by Christmas. I will take all of my equipment to the dealers and have them go through it pretty thoroughly. Usually, January is slow but by early February I am doing mulching, pruning, etc. So, I don't really have to winterize anything other than a tiller and a slice seeder.

LLandscaping
11-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Maintenance is year around for us.

tjsquickcuts
11-17-2006, 10:04 PM
We dont winterize, just cut back on our hours, and take long 3-4 day weekends.....We Overseed most of our lawns to keep them green all year, and with all the leaf blowing, Landscaping, and misc things, I will be lucky to get a whole week off. This has been a amazing year for my operation.....I have done more landscape jobs this fall then I did the last two years....I am booked thru Dec 23, with more being added everyday.....I will just continue to have my nightly :drinkup: and prepare to keep on hump n....I just hope this will be my last year in the field.....Looking to strictly supervise and Run the inside of the operation....just trying to make sure my guys are ready to be alone without much direct Supervising from me......Just have my lead guy take over in my place. I was able to get away twice last year, once to the Bahamas in early May for a short 4 day weekend, and to South Beach for 5 days in Sept......they were really needed, and right on time.....Anyone else overseed Bermuda or Zoysia?
:cool2:

jbell113
11-17-2006, 10:10 PM
We will be working all winter here also.

LLandscaping
11-17-2006, 11:11 PM
We overseed some bermuda but not much Zoysia.

Envy Lawn Service
11-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Well, I don't guess I ever really "winterize" my stuff. Just a little fuel stabilizer and some annual maintenace items that I choose to do when it's not peak season. I piddle along through the winter months doing things here and there and run some of the equippment occasionally. Just all depends on what I want to do, what I need to do, what I have to do and of course how hard of a winter we have.

The warm season grasses here hit a brick wall a good while ago and went dormant. The weather has been a bit of a roller coaster since. So the cool season grasses are looking great now and growing at a rate I consider slow. The mowing isn't over, but a lot easier.

We have had two days this week of harsh weather. One day of rain, a harsh storm that night, then a windy day the next. So today was rough. Didn't even finish. It's looking like the majority of the leaves are down now. So I might work on through this weekend and hope to finish up all the major regular work by Thanksgiving and hopefully play it by ear after that.

I could use a bit of a slowdown.
I hate when daylight savings time ends.

WJW Lawn
11-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I hate it when daylight savings ends too!! I could use those extra hours on MANY occasions.

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I won't really winterize either, just a bit of maintenance. Im getting up leaves and STILL cutting some places weekly. Some down to every other week. Last year, I mowed until the end of december, and fully expect to do the same this year. Got lots of people calling me this week wanting a full cleanup before thanksgiving. I might get 4 of them done.

lawnspecialties
11-18-2006, 06:56 PM
I still haven't winterized the Bed Edger or the Aerator just because I've been too danged busy. That's the only thing that gets winterized for me as well.:)

WJW Lawn
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
So Grass-scapes and Lawn Specialties...you guys keep it rolling year round? I need those kind of clients! lol I usually take it til early January...then have a month off.

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I stop mowing mid to late december, but find other things to keep me busy...Start ferts in early Feb.

Precision
11-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm winterized as we speak .... gotta be atleast 68 outside ....got my sweats on ... heavy socks n a heavy shirt ..... gets any cooler n I'm crankin the heat on in the house ;-)

Steve,
yeah me too.

I was wearing a fleece all day today. Damn 48 when I got up. Floridians freeze when it gets below 60. :laugh: :laugh:

I run til oct 15 - nov 01 with weekly then every other week for the rest of the season, with a 2 week break from 23 Dec to Jan 07. and I am doing the same thing in Feb.

dbroken64
11-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I am still cutting here too. Mostly weeds growing and the grasses have slowed down. Patches of clover is growing when you get a few days of warmer weather and the ground this time of year stays just enough damp to grow weeds here and there.:clapping:

lawnspecialties
11-18-2006, 10:38 PM
So Grass-scapes and Lawn Specialties...you guys keep it rolling year round? I need those kind of clients! lol I usually take it til early January...then have a month off.

My year-round accounts get whatever the yard needs each week. I might not use a whole tank of fuel in the SuperZ in January, but I cut enough not to winterize it. :)

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 11:43 PM
My year-round accounts get whatever the yard needs each week. I might not use a whole tank of fuel in the SuperZ in January, but I cut enough not to winterize it. :)

Bingo. Thats how it goes with me.

burns60
11-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Next week will about do it for me. Had several good frost, and about all I've done past 3 weeks is leaf work and a couple of shrub jobs. I don't winterize, I just crank them up and let them run a few minutes each week. Drain gas from small equipment though.

Time to get out the fiddle and see what I can learn. Hardest thing I have ever tried to get the hang of, but it's fun.

dKoester
11-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't know cause we are still Mowing.

Grass Kickin
11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Winterize?? What's that? We just maintain the equipment all year. Cutting is slowing down, maybe every other week or two now through Feb. Other stuff to do though.

Grass Kickin
11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
repeat mssg

WJW Lawn
12-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Man its gettin COLD out!!!!!!!!!!!!

c5vetteracer
12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
It looks like we will make it through January (thank God all my customers have big trees!)

Old South Landscaping, LLC
Lexington, SC