PDA

View Full Version : No more state work for me

Tharrell
11-17-2006, 09:26 AM
I don't know if anyone remembers my earlier post about a state bid conference concerning some rest areas but, here's the bid opening tabulations.
Don't know why Richard (Niten) didn't bid on it.
Anyway, Mike (mmlawn) got both of them.
Mike, I hope you do well. Tony

lawnguyland
11-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Rest areas? Yuck. Garbage and piss everywhere!

DuraCutter
11-18-2006, 01:52 AM
I don't know if anyone remembers my earlier post about a state bid conference concerning some rest areas but, here's the bid opening tabulations.
Mike, I hope you do well. Tony

M&M is leaving lots of money on the table. :nono:

Envy Lawn Service
11-18-2006, 02:22 AM
In my day I've bid against some of the 'named' there... which I know to be total lowballers on everything they bid... and Mike blew them out AND will be sending crews 75 & 100 miles respectively to do it.

Why people want to do that is beyond me.
If you want to work cheap, you don't have to extend out to a 100 mile radius to stay busy.

But in a nutshell, this is precisely why you won't see Envy Lawn Service & Landscaping listed on one of those tabulations. It's a waste of my time. I can go broke sitting at home on the couch in the air conditioning. Cleaner environment and a lot less work, sweat, aggrivation and travel involved.

Tharrell
11-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Here's the catch on those rest areas. They have been dissatisfied with the former lco's and the conference wasn't fun for anybody. They are going to saddle anybody that gets those contracts. I spoke to Richard yesterday and he didn't come out and say it but, I think he thought it was moot to even bid on it. I won't attend any more of those conferences. If I wanted a low paying pita account, there are plenty of others out there. I'll stick with my weigh stations and if they leave me alone I'll keep doing them.
Mike has at least 1 pair of rest areas in Warren county so he knows what it takes to make them happy.
As for him leaving money on the table, it was a bid process and he had only an idea of what the others might bid.
NOW, if they hold true to their word he may not get it if they feel his bid was too low. If he gets it, he'll know in a couple of weeks at most.

AintNoFun
11-18-2006, 01:43 PM
most of the municipalities in NJ are switching the terminology to "lowest most qualified bidder" so just cuz your the low bidder now adays your still not guaranteed to get the work..

NOW, if they hold true to their word he may not get it if they feel his bid was too low. If he gets it, he'll know in a couple of weeks at most.

DLCS
11-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Lowest bidder is not a bad thing. I'm sure MMLawn is doing the job for the money he needs. Maybe he knows his costs and keeps his costs down that enables him to do the work at lesser bid. maybe the other bidders don't know their costs or are have a higher overhead to cover in their bids.

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 06:37 PM
More than likely, he already travels to that area so there would not be much additional travel time involved.

richard1103
12-09-2006, 03:37 PM
did m & m get yhe job?

puppypaws
12-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Mike, I hope you do well. TonyIf the rest areas are anything like they are around Charlotte, NC you could get raped and I know sexually transmitted disease's have got to be crawling around like fire ants. There is things going on around those places that would be hard for anyone to believe, if a person is going to be maintaining the areas around them just make sure you have had all your shots.

DLCS
12-09-2006, 05:33 PM
If the rest areas are anything like they are around Charlotte, NC you could get raped and I know sexually transmitted disease's have got to be crawling around like fire ants. There is things going on around those places that would be hard for anyone to believe, if a person is going to be maintaining the areas around them just make sure you have had all your shots.

Funny you should say that. There used to be a rest area near where I lived that earned the name "pickle park" cause lots of gays were using it as a place to meet other gays. Police were always catching them in their cars and other places on the property. State workers were always finding used needles, used condoms, and other things. The State of Illinois closed it down several years ago.

puppypaws
12-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Funny you should say that. There used to be a rest area near where I lived that earned the name "pickle park" cause lots of gays were using it as a place to meet other gays. Police were always catching them in their cars and other places on the property. State workers were always finding used needles, used condoms, and other things. The State of Illinois closed it down several years ago.I guess it doesn't matter what state it is the more people in an area the higher percentage of that crap going on.