PDA

View Full Version : What engine you prefer on the hustler Z

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-17-2006, 01:13 PM
What motor you guys using on the Hustler Z 60 or super Z ,Kohler or Kaw and Why??

TLS
11-17-2006, 01:45 PM
If your going with a SuperZ, go as big as you can.

28EFI
or
30Kohler

Or wait until next year and see if they're offering bigger options.

smokestackit07
11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
i have a hustler super z with a 28 EFI and it has tons of power.very pleased with it. go with the 28 hp EFI

TLS
11-17-2006, 03:57 PM
i have a hustler super z with a 28 EFI and it has tons of power.very pleased with it. go with the 28 hp EFI

WOW...same mower here. Wouldn't rate it's power in "tons" though. :rolleyes: The SuperZ needs 30+hp and 50lb/ft of torque for sure.

What powered your previous mowers that makes you feel the 28/60 is more than adequate?

REALSLOW
11-17-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a 27 60 real happy with it. I want a 72 34. one of the things I like about the 27 is I can buy a new one on ebay alot of times for less than a 1000$ I have no complaints over all as far as power goes but would like a bigger motor on a bigger deck.

tacoma200
11-17-2006, 06:51 PM
WOW...same mower here. Wouldn't rate it's power in "tons" though. :rolleyes: The SuperZ needs 30+hp and 50lb/ft of torque for sure.

What powered your previous mowers that makes you feel the 28/60 is more than adequate?
Exactly, with those big pumps and motors you could definately use 30+. Hard to keep the rpm's up going up long inclines.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
So how do the kohler engines do , which do you prefer the Kaw or the Kohler. Which do you think is better ??

tacoma200
11-20-2006, 06:28 PM
So how do the kohler engines do , which do you prefer the Kaw or the Kohler. Which do you think is better ??
I don't think Kawasaki makes a vertical engine bigg enough to do justice to the Super Z. So the 28 efi and the 30 Kohler are the only options I would consider except on flat ground. Test drive one with the biggest engine, dump the sticks or go up a long or steep hill and you'll see what we mean. You need all the power you can get. I like Kaw just fine, I just don't think they would be as good in this application.

lawncare4u
11-20-2006, 07:06 PM
:hammerhead: I have a Super Z with a 25 HP Kawasaki on it,does a good job for me!It has more torque than the Kholer (so I've been told)!I run a Bac-Vac in the fall to get my leaves up-still plenty of power for me!I have a 60'' deck on the Z.

mowerman90
11-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I've owned a Super Z w/27hp Kohler and a 52" mulching deck and currently own a Super Z w/28hp Kohler EFI and a 60" mulching deck. Even though the 27hp Z only had a 52" deck on it the 60" Z with the 28hp EFI BLOWS IT AWAY!!!! Definately get the 28 EFI. The fuel savings alone will more than pay for it. With the 27hp I had to fill up every 1 1/2 days. With the 28EFI I can usually go 3 - 3 1/2 days without filling up. The 28EFI is much smoother and the response is instantanious, also starts quicker in the cold.

Josh.S
11-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I've owned a Super Z w/27hp Kohler and a 52" mulching deck and currently own a Super Z w/28hp Kohler EFI and a 60" mulching deck. Even though the 27hp Z only had a 52" deck on it the 60" Z with the 28hp EFI BLOWS IT AWAY!!!! Definately get the 28 EFI. The fuel savings alone will more than pay for it. With the 27hp I had to fill up every 1 1/2 days. With the 28EFI I can usually go 3 - 3 1/2 days without filling up. The 28EFI is much smoother and the response is instantanious, also starts quicker in the cold.

I have the Kohler 28EFI on my dixie chopper, I love it also..

Grass Kickin
11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I prefer the Kawasaki. The Kohler has less torque despite being higher in HP. It says it right in the Hustler brochure. I had a Kohler blow a piston, a smaller engine on my 44" mini Z, 1 year old. The mechanics said the Kohlers were very tempermental and required 30wt oil as opposed to the 10 30wt of the Kawasaki. The 30wt deteriorates quickly and must be replaced more frequently. For what it matters, all of us likley keep on top of that but there are probably a few who haven't put oil in their mowers or done a change for extended periods of time.

MJB
11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I wish I would of demoed a 27Kawi L/C against the 28EFI Kohler. I demoed the L/C and decided on the 30 Kohler mainly because of the price. I can replace the engine if needed cheaper. I like the 28EFI but the price difference was not worth it to me. If the efi engines would run twice as long... hr wise then I would have bought 1. But I don't think the power difference is that great. The fuel savings would have been nice , but a $1000 buys a lot of fuel too. I like the L/C Kawi best because it will outlast the other engines.

AintNoFun
11-20-2006, 11:03 PM
we have 2 super z's with 25 kawi's one regular z with a 23 kawi and a super z 72 with 27 l/c. can't be happier with any of them....

TLS
11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
To all that are claiming the power is fine with the 25 Kawi on a SuperZ....I'll re-ask my question since no one answered it....

What powered your previous mowers that makes you feel your current engine is more than adequate?

For me....Hustler doesn't offer an engine/deck combo on the SuperZ that brings the word "adequate" to mind. :rolleyes:

tacoma200
11-21-2006, 09:34 AM
I prefer the Kawasaki. The Kohler has less torque despite being higher in HP. It says it right in the Hustler brochure. I had a Kohler blow a piston, a smaller engine on my 44" mini Z, 1 year old. The mechanics said the Kohlers were very tempermental and required 30wt oil as opposed to the 10 30wt of the Kawasaki. The 30wt deteriorates quickly and must be replaced more frequently. For what it matters, all of us likley keep on top of that but there are probably a few who haven't put oil in their mowers or done a change for extended periods of time.
Not being smart but I don't think your mechanic knows what he's talking about as far as oil goes. Also all my Kohlers so far have run on 10W30. I'm not saying a Kohler is better I just think you mechanic is full of it or was misquoted. Kohlers probably sell the best because overall they are dependable and inexpensive but of course I would give the edge to Kaw if the price were the same. I personally prefer Kaw but have never had a problem with Kohler and they are cheap to replace. 2 for the price of one LC Kaw I would guess.

nmurph
11-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Not being smart but I don't think your mechanic knows what he's talking about as far as oil goes. Also all my Kohlers so far have run on 10W30. I'm not saying a Kohler is better I just think you mechanic is full of it or was misquoted. Kohlers probably sell the best because overall they are dependable and inexpensive but of course I would give the edge to Kaw if the price were the same. I personally prefer Kaw but have never had a problem with Kohler and they are cheap to replace. 2 for the price of one LC Kaw I would guess.

ditto-you need to find a mechanic that understands what the #'s mean.

HenryB
11-21-2006, 12:46 PM
To all that are claiming the power is fine with the 25 Kawi on a SuperZ....I'll re-ask my question since no one answered it....

What powered your previous mowers that makes you feel your current engine is more than adequate?

For me....Hustler doesn't offer an engine/deck combo on the SuperZ that brings the word "adequate" to mind. :rolleyes:

Lazer Z 52 deck 27 Kohler. Scag ZTR 29DFI 60 deck and so many others including WAM's with giant diesels with the State parks. My smallest motor on a ZTR is a Super Z 24hp Honda and yes it's fine even with the Bac Vac. These mowers need more research and design not more HP's.

HenryB
11-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Also this obsession with more horsepower enables companies to avoid real research work and real improvements by slapping a 40hp motor on a 48in deck. We should demand more from them.

Grass Kickin
11-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Regarding adequate power, how much do you really need?
I had a Dixon Kodiak with a 22hp
I've had a Mini Z with a 22 or 23HP
I currently have:
60" Super Z with a 25
52" Z with a 24

My Super Z isn't a drag racer but it is fine for the many inclines I have to navigate as well as good blade speed. If I had a choice and bought a brand new one, I'd go with a 28EFI. However, I got the 60 Super Z at a price I couldn't afford to pass on. It is perfect for me.

kmann
11-21-2006, 02:29 PM
My personal experience is anything with a Kawasaki Engine will be good.

tacoma200
11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Regarding adequate power, how much do you really need?
I had a Dixon Kodiak with a 22hp
I've had a Mini Z with a 22 or 23HP
I currently have:
60" Super Z with a 25
52" Z with a 24

My Super Z isn't a drag racer but it is fine for the many inclines I have to navigate as well as good blade speed. If I had a choice and bought a brand new one, I'd go with a 28EFI. However, I got the 60 Super Z at a price I couldn't afford to pass on. It is perfect for me.
Yea I agree, some parts of the country that are very hilly it makes more of a difference. An incline in Florida would be much more subtle most of the time than in hilly or mountainous terrain. I think you can get by with less power on a Super Z in Florida, Texas, etc. have a good day!

lawnspecialties
11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Since Hustler seems to be in no hurry to put out the new Kawasaki FH1000V on the SuperZ's, I'm rethinking my line up for next year. If I stay Hustler, I'll add a 66" unit. I'll probably just opt for the same 26hp Kaw LC I'm running right now. It's never let me down after 600 hours so far. Power has never been a concern or a problem. :)

Grass Kickin
11-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Everything is bigger in Texas so the inclines have to be too!!:waving:

TLS
11-23-2006, 01:44 PM
I cant see how some are saying they have pleanty of power with lesser engines than mine.

Hence my thinking of perception of power. Some feel that if the engine doesn't stall and stop running it is pleanty powerful. Others like me feel that when an engine drops more than 200 rpm when going up a hill, or cutting thick turf is reason enough for wanting more.

Tachometers tell the story. Watch your rpm's, thats all I can say.

When there ARE engines available out there that will NOT loose RPM's when doing the above, I feel as though my mower IS underpowered.

Put a 725cc engine with 28hp in front of 12-16cc pumps and you have PLEANTY of power. Put 21cc pumps, fast wheel motors, and allow full pump speed and you have bogging galore. Then throw in thick turf and yes you CAN stall one out.

HenryB
11-23-2006, 09:20 PM
To simplify this a bit TLS you'd like more torque (low end). I can see that. It is personal perception. For some a 4cyl. Toyota Corolla is just fine for others an 8cyl. Mustang Cobra:confused: . It's all good!

MJB
11-24-2006, 01:21 AM
I cant see how some are saying they have pleanty of power with lesser engines than mine.

Hence my thinking of perception of power. Some feel that if the engine doesn't stall and stop running it is pleanty powerful. Others like me feel that when an engine drops more than 200 rpm when going up a hill, or cutting thick turf is reason enough for wanting more.

Tachometers tell the story. Watch your rpm's, thats all I can say.

When there ARE engines available out there that will NOT loose RPM's when doing the above, I feel as though my mower IS underpowered.

Put a 725cc engine with 28hp in front of 12-16cc pumps and you have PLEANTY of power. Put 21cc pumps, fast wheel motors, and allow full pump speed and you have bogging galore. Then throw in thick turf and yes you CAN stall one out.
It's not that I don't like more power...but in a perfect world that would be attained by all the different brands of mowers, but we are far from that... But at what point does power = to much weight? We continue to get heavier mowers and then compaction, and ruts, become an even larger issue. I have huge lawns with water standing in them at times and believe me weight becomes a big issue.. I learn how best to use each piece of equipment I have. But the Hustler is the only mower I own with a power issue, but I can still make it a very productive machine. On hills it needs more, but I can live with it as long as I have dependability and cut quality.
Maybe we just need smaller pumps and lower speeds.. 12 mph should be max in my opinion.....hope I didn't open up a can of worms...:rolleyes:

TLS
11-24-2006, 11:25 AM
To simplify this a bit TLS you'd like more torque (low end). I can see that. It is personal perception. For some a 4cyl. Toyota Corolla is just fine for others an 8cyl. Mustang Cobra:confused: . It's all good!

Actually Henry....I want more upper RPM torque.

Our ZTR engines work in the 3600-3800 RPM range. THATS IT. I could care less how much torque is at 2400 RPM's. And sadly, that is where these engines produce the most torque. From that point up, they loose torque. But thankfully they gain horsepower.

If they designed an engine with both it's torque and horsepower peak at 3400-3500 RPM, we wouldn't need 35 horsepower engines, and we certainly wouldn't be bogging down the RPM's when we dump the sticks.

As far as weight goes....The BVG is only 20lbs heavier than a Kohler V-Twin. I don't think that is going to break the bank.

As far as the speed....Hustler SHOULD make a detuned version. Drop the standard Hustler Z and use 16cc pumps on it. Save the high horsepower and speed for the SuperZ.

lawnspecialties
11-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Also this obsession with more horsepower enables companies to avoid real research work and real improvements by slapping a 40hp motor on a 48in deck. We should demand more from them.

Henry, If I got one of those and turned the blades upside down, do you think I could fly?:)

TLS
11-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Henry, If I got one of those and turned the blades upside down, do you think I could fly?:)

Well.....maybe if you used super High Lift blades...:cool2: