PDA

View Full Version : Sentar vs. Stander

bobcat175
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Does a sentar (when standing) have the same climbing ability as the stander? Referring to the 52"/23hp machines.
thanks

bobcat175
11-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Also - as I understand it the engine is mounted to the floating deck. Any issues with excessive bouncing/shaking/vibration to the engine?

Lawn and Stump - thanks again for your time on the phone today.

Josh.S
11-18-2006, 12:31 AM
if it were me, I would just buy a regular ZTR before I bought a sentar... and I would just get a stander for the small, hard to get into places, and for islands and stuff...

my $.02

bobcat175
11-18-2006, 09:33 AM
if it were me, I would just buy a regular ZTR before I bought a sentar... and I would just get a stander for the small, hard to get into places, and for islands and stuff...

my $.02

I have some hills that are un-ztr-able, I demo'ed a stander and had no problem and was wondering if the sentar had the same hill-climbing ability.

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 06:26 PM
The sentar is nearly identical to the stander, except it is not as tall and has a seat that pops down. if it is the RH adjust model, the engine is on the floating deck. As for the person who said buy a ztr...NO WAY. My stander was by far the BEST investment so far.

bobcat175
11-18-2006, 06:45 PM
The sentar is nearly identical to the stander, except it is not as tall and has a seat that pops down. if it is the RH adjust model, the engine is on the floating deck. As for the person who said buy a ztr...NO WAY. My stander was by far the BEST investment so far.

The 52" sentar (not the sport) is a true floating deck. I haven't seen one up close yet but the video on Wrightmfg shows the engine bouncing a bit so I was concerned with that. Just as you say...that the engine is on the floating deck....would this be an issue?

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 07:47 PM
I don't see how it could. the deck is heavier due to the engine and belt/pulley assemblys. doesn't your engine bounce on your mower when you hit a bump? Sure...right along with the rest of the mower. The stander rapid Height adjustable model is designed the same.

go to your dealer and ask for a demo and see for yourself.

Josh.S
11-18-2006, 08:20 PM

What size is your stander? I am considering getting a 36" next year because it would be really practiacle for some islands and the few backyards I do, I drove the stander and it is really cool to operate...
In your opinion what makes it a great investment? the time saved and small storage space?

- Josh

ed2hess
11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
What size is your stander? I am considering getting a 36" next year because it would be really practiacle for some islands and the few backyards I do, I drove the stander and it is really cool to operate...
In your opinion what makes it a great investment? the time saved and small storage space?
- Josh
We like our 36" because it can be used on small lots so we don't raise concerns about big equipment. We used WB before switching. The size is good in the trailer. The Sentar Sport is expensive but electric start, Kaw 17hp, the seat, and the lever operated height adjustment are very nice features. This unit will definitely not outlast a 36" Hydro Scag WB but is close. The blades sit at the bottom of the deck and can not be adjusted up/down with spacers so that could hurt insome grasses but ok in southern grasses. We have the mulch kit with outlet blocked all year long and it does fine.

Josh.S
11-18-2006, 11:25 PM
We like our 36" because it can be used on small lots so we don't raise concerns about big equipment. We used WB before switching. The size is good in the trailer. The Sentar Sport is expensive but electric start, Kaw 17hp, the seat, and the lever operated height adjustment are very nice features. This unit will definitely not outlast a 36" Hydro Scag WB but is close. The blades sit at the bottom of the deck and can not be adjusted up/down with spacers so that could hurt insome grasses but ok in southern grasses. We have the mulch kit with outlet blocked all year long and it does fine.

The one I looked at has the electric start and some type of rapid height adjustment or something like that.... It has the mulch kit your talking about I think...

Right now I have a gear driven 36" encore wb.. and I HATE IT... I was thinking about picking up a decent used hydro wb for around $1000, but I haven't decided if its worth spending the extra $3500 to get a practically new (2006 w/ 50 hrs) 36" stander... Whatever I go with I think will be 36" so I can get in gates and stuff, because I have 2 Dixie's that will take care of everything else...

I'm sure it won't save $3500 worth of time so I really don't know what to do...I suppose it is worth the investment..

bobcat175
11-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't see how it could. the deck is heavier due to the engine and belt/pulley assemblys. doesn't your engine bounce on your mower when you hit a bump? Sure...right along with the rest of the mower. The stander rapid Height adjustable model is designed the same.

go to your dealer and ask for a demo and see for yourself.

I guess - but the RH is an adjustable fixed deck. The deck is locked in place vs. the sentar that is hanging on chains.
Dealer doesn't have any now...Do you have a Sentar? If so, how many hrs and have you had any issues?