like sealing
cleaning pools
washing cars
painting fences
etc.

1MajorTom
06-20-2001, 11:19 PM
No, too much on our plate as it is.

I know some think it looks unprofessional to dabble with other type of misc. jobs, but I feel this way. Everyone's situation is different. If you need some extra cash, you are handy, and do good work, then by all means do what you can. Just be sure to be insured for this other type of work. That is one important thing to consider.
And no, I don't know how much extra coverage for this type of thing would cost. We never looked into it.

Lawn DOG
06-20-2001, 11:29 PM
Thought I would try my luck at being an astronaut and if that did not pay enough I might become a proffesional fisherman.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-20-2001, 11:47 PM
I wanted to do some sealing when it slowed down I alredy have the ins. for it and the customer that are 95% asphalt drives but no time amy do later

but I wanted to see what you guy's do?

Sammy
06-21-2001, 01:42 AM
I was thinking of selling used cars...LOL

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-21-2001, 03:55 AM
I used to teach high school (landscaping and horticulture) before I got into this full time. I have many good contacts with the board of Ed. ( I cut their property), so I substitute teach! Maybe not the highest paying job, but I still love to teach and the kids think I'm really cool. Since there is no contract, I can take off whatever days I want if I need to. Plus whenever it snows, the board of education freaks out around here and closes school.........yeah!, time to plow!

Scott

awm
06-21-2001, 08:07 AM
part of my service is handyman.the key is to know what not to try.
as in watch gas lines ,cables powerlines,etc.they can give you a bad day.also insure for that rotten roof etc.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 08:15 AM
every one in this biz should be muli talented
we have to fix thing that break fix thing we break at properties

put those talents to good use moke some money!

Got Grass?
06-21-2001, 01:49 PM
When times get slow:

Gutter cleaning.
Cleaning roofs.
Power Washing, decks, drives, houses.
Window Washing.
re-sealing drives.
Volenteer w/ neighborhood cleanup projects. good avertising/pr if it makes the news or paper.
work on your own property.

Stephen
06-21-2001, 02:52 PM
I am happy to say business has been good so far, so not many slow times to do one thing specifically, but if a customer asks we will do all of the above listed by you guys if we have some free time. We also do maintenance of foreclosed properties for the banks and mortgage companies. We started out cutting the grass and plowing but now we do everything from drive by inspections, to picture inspections, lock changes, winterizations, cleanouts and even evictions complete with several of your finest law enforcement officials to remove the tenants and direct their placement of possessions out on the street. I have a friend who does alot of this and runs several crews and they are occasionally accomponied by the SWAT team.

Bluegrass Group
06-21-2001, 02:57 PM
I saw a sign in Tennessee a couple years ago that read:
LANDSCAPING/TAXIDERMY
I guess it all depends on what season it was!

cp
06-21-2001, 03:21 PM
I advertise as Professional Lawn Care and that is what I mainly want to be involved with, but when I talk to people(especially the elderly), I tell them if they need other work that I don't do that I can contact or recommend a person for the job.

That keeps me in with the other contractors and if their is a sub involved then I can make a little $$$.

Also, about the elderly, somtimes they like to have one person who they trust and I don't mind the extra effort to help them out..

Avery
06-21-2001, 06:10 PM
We really don't have a slow time here. New installations go year round and we cut about 10 months a year. We try to load up the winter months with installations as we have more free time then. Running about six to eight weeks behind on installs right now and turn down more maintenance jobs than we take.

LAWNGODFATHER
02-09-2003, 03:06 AM
Well over time I have found other work is not needed if you schedule things in a better fasion to keep you busier in the slower months.

1grnlwn
02-09-2003, 03:22 AM
I have done the handiman thing (very talented) but did you ever notice? When someone is dead or missing it is always the handiman. You think being a lawn Guy has its steriotypes.

Mark

Farbio
02-09-2003, 04:13 AM
Hey I think this is my first post. I'm new! I build fences & decks during the slower months of Summer for extra play money. :)

Doc Pete
02-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
does any one do other work in slow times besides lawn and landscape
in summer
like sealing
cleaning pools
washing cars
painting fences
etc.

I clean our local firehouse one night a week. Hey, it keeps me from watching the boob tube and pays the insurance.
Pete

MOW ED
02-09-2003, 08:53 AM
With 3 kids in all kinds of sports I wish I knew the definition of "slowtime" but I love it.

To answer the question, no.

MY PUPPY
02-09-2003, 09:07 AM
I also do seal coating,power washing,gutter cleaning have found that most people want just one person that can do all
outside projects.

Toroguy
02-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Im certain most of you realize there are other lucrative opportunities out there.

I am always looking for a way to improve my financial situation.

My latest money making plan is not related to the green industry at all. It is nice to think of other business ideas on occasion.

Many good suggestions.

paponte
02-09-2003, 09:54 AM
LAWNGODFATHER, the only slow time we have around is between Dec. & Feb. Tree work keeps us busy around the winter months. I do know alot of guys that do sealcoating, and pressure washing though.

1grnlwn
02-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Farbio, Welcome to LS. Don't judge us all by behavior at this time. It's kind of our silly season. I think everyone is ready to hit the turf. And the Bank.

Mark

rodfather
02-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Brain Surgery...j/k. Actually, we cram enough during the year to hold us over the winter months and hope for snow plowing.

Doc Pete
02-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by rodfather
Brain Surgery...j/k. Actually, we cram enough during the year to hold us over the winter months and hope for snow plowing.

After working 7 days a week for most of the summer, I welcome the down time from Dec. to April....:p Also, it keeps me from getting burned out.........

mcs
02-09-2003, 12:49 PM
I would like to try doing other services to complement my lawn care service. I'm from Oregon and you need a license for just about everything. Handyman - contractors license, build decks and fences - landscapers license, etc. To get these specific licenses, you need to go through a certain amount of education and pass a written exam.

The insurance for many of these "specialty" services is really expensive so I will probably just stick with lawn care.

Mark

Ed Ryder
02-10-2003, 01:38 AM
I'm a partner in a Saint Petersburg, Russia tourist guide service.
After cutting lawns during the day, I'm consulting with people that want to visit this city and arranging service. I'm the marketing guy. After the customers are over there, my partner takes over. We have 17 guides and a number of drivers we use. And I'm always working on some other crazy new idea. But grass cutting is where my main income is still made. If the summer gets slow, I go over for a visit. Last summer I had a great time at the beach along the Black Sea in a place called Arkhipo-Osipovka. I spent a day in Krasnodar and a few other days in Saint Petersburg. The previous summer I was in Saratov along the Volga River. It was a great adventure.

affprop
02-10-2003, 07:05 AM
I own and run a great business, a food concession stand ( otherwise known as a hotdog wagon) we go to horse shows biker parties and other events selling hot dogs hamburgs steak subs sausage subs french fries pizza. Its alot of fun, and lots of cash. If they dont have a buck they dont get a hot dog. Govt cant count hot dogs or quarters.

HicksGroundMgt
02-10-2003, 06:21 PM
wish i knew what slow times were. we offer a few different services other than just mowing. grading, design, installation, and we're working on so co-op pond installations.seal coatinf is something that i'd like to learn but i want to get more info about it first. we do offer pressure washing along with our regular services. myself and another man will go out on a sturday and knock out a couple of houses, driveways, patios in a day. i don't keep a full time mechanic so something or other is always in need of a belt change, or oil change, or a part replaced or fixed.during the winter months we install, rejuvenate, replace warranty work prep the men with classes from our AWESOME extension office(the people there are the nicest people to work with)with winter also comes the time for certification renewals, commercial property bid speculation oh lest not forget getting things ready for march 1!

lawnkid
02-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Aside form landscaping I also work apartment maintenance for a good friend. He's a great guy. He's even letting me do all of his houses and apartments this year and hopefully more. :D Anyway,

LGF,
My cousin is an electrical engineer at GM Motors here in cleveland and on the side he builds decks when the weather is nice. He gets payed big bucks for it too. It's a nice bonus for him. Just another possibility.

Jusmowin
02-10-2003, 07:35 PM
In the slow times I work at a large horse farm doing maintanance ( bush hogging, fenceing, Stacking hay, and gen repair). I also sell firewood during the winter, as I will start spliting about wood for this upcomming winter at the middle of the month untill early spring. Most years I only sell about 20 to 30 cords, Its not much but it keeps me in shape and makes me some extra money for the winter.:D

Art Stubbs handy 58
02-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Not only do we do the Lawncare/landscape Service. We run a Handy Man Service, so we can pull up to a property and do just about any thing a customer wants. We just rececently (over the winter) bought a Carpet Cleaning Service just to add to Business.

So, no slow times here, just getting one more step closer to retirement........ Hows it going LGF>???? havent chatted lately....

Can't wait till mowing gets going..........

yardman1
02-10-2003, 09:20 PM
I do some spressure washing, but not much I have enough to do during the "off" season to keep me busy, we don't really have much of a winter here to really shut us down for that long.

lawncare3
02-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Pretty much anything. I sweep driveways, fix doors, cleanup dog crap (for a huge amount payup), other misc stuff.

I use to have a customer that had me clean the floors and let the dogs out after school. They moved so I no no longer have them. I also have fixed lots of things with duct tape.

Weedburner
02-10-2003, 10:27 PM
My day job really cuts into my off season down time. Do some equipment maintenance for a golf course and local farmers during the winter. Rather watch paint dry than television.

danny m.
02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
WE have just added pressure washing this year and also starting to sell used cars. :blob4:

IBGreen
02-10-2003, 10:49 PM
I've gave out so much plasma, blood, etc that they asked me not to come back.

thartz
02-10-2003, 11:02 PM
LGF I did some sealcoating whenI first started out;Man that sucked.Hot,dirty and although my buddy owned the business and shared profit it wasn't worth it IMHO. Now since all of us can mow straight lines go into asphalt striping;that's where the cash is,my guy did K Marts and they have twice as many lines as normal because they used to have a courtesy space between their lines so you had to stripe each parking spot seperately.Man that was the deal.maybe that is why they are in financial trouble.Try clay tennis courts because i can tell you first hand there is a ton of maintenance in those.

terry824
02-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Hey GodFather: The possibilities are endless along , and in agreement with, the many replies here. Right now here in Georgia, is a great time for sodding new or replacement lawns. We are doing a lot of this right now. Three jobs this week. We also:
Irrigation systems
Clean and replace gutters
New decks
Reinforce existing decks
Power washing
Pre-season clean up
BobCat work (we do a grading and lot clearing)-form an alliance with an independant BobCat operator. One of the best moves you could ever make.
Tree Removal-form an alliance with a reputable tree service. Another great move. Alliances will help feed ya when the grass isn't growing.

**Also, get in tight with a couple of realtors! I've found that they will pull their weight in keeping your pipline filled. I get two or three quick clean up jobs a week from my realtors that are wanting to give the home they are trying to sell some "curb appeal". I have two main realtors that I sponsor the refreshments for their weekly sales meetings once a month. I take over donuts and coffee, throw out some flyers and business cards then hit the road. The love it. Realtors love to eat. Also if a particular realtor is feeding me jobs pretty steady I'll give them a good lawn job every now and then.

baddboygeorge
02-10-2003, 11:32 PM
i am a full service landscaping company an very busy . i also am a general contractor building houses. i usually build 4-6 a year . i have a bunch of subs that work under me . so it works out well when i get a landscaping customer that needs some remodeling work i tell them to call so an so which is my company .works wonders . i also have another smaller landscaping company an the reason for that is when a customer doesnt want to continue service or change for various reasons .we send them to the smaller company , when the smaller company loses one we send them back to the main one .its great but sometimes confusing on both parts !!

Craftybigdog
02-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah I fly for the Air Force and Im active duty not reserve so that is a constant battle and on the side I remove snow and work on, well no that I think about it everything to tractors, backhoes, cars alot of stuff and I do detailing on the side so it all keeps me busy but its fun, I guess!:angel:

DieselTurfer HD
02-11-2003, 12:01 AM
HAHA.....Since we had such an early winter this year i saw one company out there hanging xmas lights and wreathes....trying to be the next Martha Stewart I guess. Drove by in the am and they were hanging lights. Went by later on when it was dark the place looked good but walking around in snow all day in negative tempatures doesn;t seem appealing to me....Right after christmas i also saw the same company picking up people xmas tress. Haven't seen them around again to ask and see if they made any money at it though.

Henry
02-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Don't knock the holiday lighting. I started doing it last year and it's good money if you don't mind heights. 5 days before Christmas we did our biggest job so far, almost 3k including crane and will be adding more next season. While taking down, the customer asks me about new landscaping and a neighbor asks for card, wants lighting next Christmas and also landscaping.

GraZZmaZter
02-25-2003, 11:17 PM
I love having projects to make money from. Currently i am cleaning up a 1986 250cc Suzuki Quad Racer. I should net 1.5-2k on the project, but its still hard to say since i still need to buy parts for it.

In the past ive done :

Vinyl Siding sub contracting
Roofing
Window instillation
Gutter repair
Tree Service
Snow removal on rooftops
Worked at uncles resturant
Gas station attendent
Golf course maintenanceman

When i was a small boy i would :

Go door to door selling rocks
Shovel driveways
Have yard sales
Refreshment stand
Bicycle repair shop
Lawnmower repair shop

A business idea i would like to get started within 2 years is a snowplowing service up north. ( in the snow belt) Than after establishing the business i would like to start a snowmobile rental service. I have been doing research, and crunching numbers for the rental business for about six months. My biggest delima is location which i am swiftly narrowing down. You gotta have goals! Good luck with yours!!!

Phishook
02-26-2003, 01:38 AM
Well occasionally I build a few hundred Hoosier racing tires. Besides that, just a few fishing tournaments and derbies.

CO.d 502nd
02-26-2003, 02:59 AM
My side work is a uaw pension so if work gets slow i just sit on my ***

brucec32
02-26-2003, 04:56 AM
I mostly use the time to travel and do things around my property, but I also find time to buy/ sell high end used cars (bmws) , sell some things on Ebay, and have done some in-home pet boarding since we love dogs. $30/day for a new face around the house feels like stealing it's so easy. Might consider doing it more seriously in the future. Lots of people hate to kennel their dogs while out of town and can't take them with them. Petsitters are too privacy invasive for some (imagine a complete stranger in your house while you're away), , and their pets prefer more human company. We just happen to have the house and property for it, and no kids, so it works well.

Home projects are one way to "earn" in the off season.

helped Tile floors
Landscaped my yard
Built a deck
Built a fence
Painted interior
Painted exterior
prepped for carpet laying
kitchen counters
lots of tree work on my 2 acres (pine bark beetles!)

You have to earn about 2 dollars before taxes to have 1 dollar left to pay someone else to work on your home. So it's a good paying gig in the winter. I average about 5 hours a day of "work" of some type even in the dead of winter. I always chuckle when people ask "what do you do when the grass isn't growing?"

CHINES60
02-26-2003, 05:15 AM
In winter, remodeling or new construction. Several years in this type of business. :sleeping: :cry:

jeffex
02-26-2003, 06:17 AM
In the winter I work for my wife. I do all her projects I can't get to working in the mowing season. I have a full time job to back me up in the winter so I don't have to scramble for extra work. This years project is a bar in the basement I finished last winter