PDA

View Full Version : Cat skidsteer guys care to comment

LabLuvR
11-17-2006, 06:48 PM
I visited my Cat sales rep today in respect to possibly buying a 268 to run a mulching head. The guy tried to point out the pro's and con's of using a mulching head with a skid steer rather than a dedicated unit such as a Gyro-Trac.

His conern was if the skid is used "mainly" for mulching, the machine would run at such high rpm's putting a huge strain on the engine and hydraulic system over the course of say a year, the machine would be almost worn out.

I know he meant well and he may be right in some regards as the Gyro is using a 160hp motor. But, I'm not looking at trying to shread 12 inch trees, but I do plan on using a skid if I get one, mainly for mulching.

I hope I've explained his concerns correctly to you guys. Does anyone see a lot of validity in what he was saying? Thanks!

Scag48
11-17-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm sure somebody who owns a mulching head will chime in, but most of the machines (skid steer or CTL/MTL) usually get some engine cooling modifications, etc. I don't know the details exactly, but somebody will chime in. Don't worry, it can be done, tons of people do it. The engine in the 268B is the same that's in the 277B or 287B and they are used in this application.

ksss
11-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Well I think what it comes down to is a dedicated machine designed to do one thing is usually always better engineered (for a specific purpose) than another machine than is design to do many things. The old Jack of all trades Master of none idea. I wouldn't be afraid to run it on a skid steer. I doubt your duty cycle would wear a machine out prematurely. Considering what a dedicated machine will cost I would certainly try it on skid steer first. Other options are to lease a machine one year at a time if your really concerned about it or buy a CASE:drinkup: I am only joking, no one needs to leave this site based on my comment.

LabLuvR
11-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I asked about a lease and they don't do leases on that type of equipment. What is odd, is Cat now has their own mulching head for the skidsteers. Seems if it was a problem they either a. would not make such an attachment or B. at least have some caution in their literature about such operations.

Maybe the guy was trying to sell me up to a different machine. For the $80,000 difference I could afford to do a LOT of engine repair work before I even came close to that amount.

RockSet N' Grade
11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
KSSS.when you say buy a "Case", I just assume you mean beer?

YardPro
11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
a local grading compnany here bought a cat MTL a few months back. They have been using a mulching head in it. Asked about the machine the other day and he said they were having a lot of problems with the hydros. said the cutter puts a lot of strain on the machine.