PDA

View Full Version : redmax 8000 & 8001 Differences.

stevesmowing
11-17-2006, 07:49 PM
what are the differences between the 8000 and the 8001. I have two 8000's now and I am looking at buying a new one, maybe a 8001.

joed
11-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Performance wise there is no difference. I emailed Redmax directly and they told me that air volume, air speed, engine etc. are the same. The only difference they mentionned was a different frame. I've not seen one so I don't know of any other differences.

jbell113
11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Here is a reply from Envy he sent me.......
Well, I didn't just settle for the 8000's for a few reasons...

1) I just never had personally liked the 8000's. Fit, finish or feel.

2) The recalls and the poor reliability reports.

3) I understand the dealer's need to move existing product, but that goes nowhere with me when I'm not willing to settle for what they have in stock.

In all honesty, I was very nervous that I would not like the 8001's either. I was afraid there really would not be that much different. I would have sorta felt crappy about it if I hadn't... but at the same time I also already knew if I didn't like them that I would still be buying my stuff from them. Just different units.

At a quick glance in pictures, you really can't tell much difference between the 8000 and 8001. But in person, you can see it in the fit and finish, and you can feel it when you put them on your back.

As far as what is actually different... it's almost easier to say what is the same, and that would be:

The engine itself
The engine cover
The carb............ (but not the choke assembly)
The airbox
The front halfshell of the blower housing

Pretty much all the rest is different. I think I posted a list here somewhere. But some have claimed there are 8000's that have had most of the updates put on them. Dunno if that is true or not. But I'm figuring this only applies to the safety recall on the muffler and some who replaced broken frames with the new type that's stock on the 8001's.

desert rose gardening
11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Can't buy the 8001 in California, something to do with clean air.

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 06:15 PM
My frame on my 8000 broke, right where the hip throttle connects. Warranty would not cover it, but it had to be fixed. They put on the same one that is on the 8001. It is more comfortable, but almost feels flexible and seems to droop when hung on a blower rack. The new frame is blow molded.

I hope it holds up.

Evan528
11-18-2006, 08:37 PM
My frame on my 8000 broke, right where the hip throttle connects. Warranty would not cover it, but it had to be fixed. They put on the same one that is on the 8001. It is more comfortable, but almost feels flexible and seems to droop when hung on a blower rack. The new frame is blow molded.

I hope it holds up.

Interesting......My 8000 broke in the same exact spot and it WAS coverd under warranty. My dealer installed a brand new frame free of charge.

leeslawncare
11-18-2006, 09:55 PM
I just got mine yesterday.I also have a 6200.Looks like crap but still strong as new.From what i see so far the tube an handle is not as flexible as the 6200.I know it's still tight ,but my arm isn't as flexible with it as the old one.an i swear the old one blows harder! May be all in my head.I do know it is much easier on gas!!.What are some of you guys thoughts?Thanks Lee

dcondon
11-18-2006, 10:22 PM
You will not notice hardly any differences between the two. We have both.

grass-scapes
11-18-2006, 11:40 PM
You will not notice hardly any differences between the two. We have both.

does that mean we WILL notice differences? (double negative) LOL.:weightlifter:

dcondon
11-18-2006, 11:43 PM

I think it fits a little better on your back but other then that you will not notice much difference. The choke lever is a tad different but thats about it.

wriken
11-19-2006, 12:53 AM
reminds me of my college days.

Envy Lawn Service
11-19-2006, 03:56 AM
I just got mine yesterday.I also have a 6200.Looks like crap but still strong as new.From what i see so far the tube an handle is not as flexible as the 6200.I know it's still tight ,but my arm isn't as flexible with it as the old one.an i swear the old one blows harder! May be all in my head.I do know it is much easier on gas!!.What are some of you guys thoughts?Thanks Lee

Well, I'm gonna share this with you and sorta tell on myself too. When I very first got mine I was saying the same thing. No stronger than the other big blowers, just a wider air stream, more fuel consumption, and stiff tubes.

First up, for me these take FOREVER to break in really good and start the process of powering up really good. This might be because I've been running everything on Amsoil at 50:1 and that may be slowing things. I dunno.

Second, you really won't even see the true power of this blower until you work it hard. You have to be blowing into a big pile that can harness the power of the blower. So you are being fooled a little.

Third, put it on your back without starting it, adjust the joystick to your comfort, then work the tube with the blower off. This will make you blush a little. The stiffness is mostly caused by the air flow.

Also, you will find that there is a "tab" on the side of the blower housing, right at the rotating elbow. This tab catches a tab on the elbow, and personally I think it does so too soon because it stops the elbow from rotating to a straight forward position.

I asked the guys here what would happen if I removed that tab to allow it to rotate further, and about the only response I remember is "it will void your warranty." I don't know if it's true or not and I don't know if the tab serves any other purpose.