MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 07:45 PM
before pics

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
after pics of the prior ones

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 08:02 PM
some steps we just finished...pics with plantings to come soon...and alot of flat bluestone work

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 08:06 PM
more to follow in the future.....I need to learn to take more pics on a daily basis
I also realized I posted pics of quite a few jobs we did earlier in the year already a couple months ago...no need to repeat

lawncare18
11-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Great great stone work... some of the best ive seen.. hope you had a great season. Many projects lined up to keep you busy this winter or you slowing right down??

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks...we've got more stone work on our plate right now than we've had all year. Makes us nervous with snow in the future. Luckily alot of it is indoors...fireplaces, floors, entry foyers etc

GreenMonster
11-17-2006, 08:13 PM
I know I already told you, Mark, but those steps are great! Those grill enclosures are cool too.

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks Mark....we just finished planting and mulching the slope around them today. That and the patios are almost ready for finish pics too. They're looking awesome. I'm quite pleased with the job the guys are doing on the patio. H2B workers from hardscaping heaven!!!!

hortiscape
11-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Very nice work, nice to see some natural stone work.
Do you have a full time mason, or are you the head mason?
Are you the owner?
Where in Vt. did you work?
Thanks, just curious because I am in Vt. and we do alot of stone work. I am interested how other guys crews work together as far as stone work and other landscape such as planting, and grading. are they seperate or all one crew?
Thanks.
Paul.

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 08:28 PM
other cool shots of the same jobs...pillars are still awaiting custom 6" solid rock faced bluestone caps with lights on top

GreenMonster
11-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Very nice work, nice to see some natural stone work.
Do you have a full time mason, or are you the head mason?
Are you the owner?
Where in Vt. did you work?
Thanks, just curious because I am in Vt. and we do alot of stone work. I am interested how other guys crews work together as far as stone work and other landscape such as planting, and grading. are they seperate or all one crew?
Thanks.
Paul.

Mark is the guy you see on the job telling everyone else what to do. As you can see, he's quite good at it. :D

Of course, if you don't do what he says, watch out for flying hammers.

lawncare18
11-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Greenmonster.. hows your season going?? You still keeping busy or the weather turned on you!!!!

MarcusLndscp
11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I worked on Stratton Mountain in vermont for 4.5 years or so and now work for a full service landscape company of about 80-90 people peak season in house and many subs on top of that. Anything you see in these pics we did. Site work, plantings, masonry, lighting, irrigation, blah blah blah. Mosts designs are by us but also work quite often with local designers and architects. I would need about 3 hours to list to you just a small portion of what my personal job entails:dizzy:
If you search for some of my posts over the years you'll see many VT pics
PM me some time and we can BS about VT and some of the other questions you had

YardPro
11-18-2006, 07:52 AM
great work...as usual

wurkn with amish
11-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Everything looks top notch, I like the natural look when your finished.

jazak
11-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Greatstone work!!!:clapping: :clapping: Looks very natural. Do you own that CAT? My buddy does mostly that stuff. I'll get some pics up soon of some jobs he's done.

Mike33
11-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Very nice work. I like the grill pics, im going to build a new home for my self in spring might yell at you for some details on that.
Mike

MarcusLndscp
11-19-2006, 12:09 AM
anytime Mike

cgland
11-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Marcus - The least you could have done was mortar the stones on top of the pillars. (wierd capstones!) hahahaha!
P.S. How dare you install pavers without the permission of the LPCE (Lawnsite Paver Cooperative Extension) In other words......Mbella

Chris

bigviclbi
11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
What brand of cultured stone is on the grill, or is it real? I love the steps, could you place them by hand or did you need the machine to drop them in? Awesome work, I'd love to work with real stone more.

Allure
11-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Wow! fantastic work. Both hardscape & plantings. Love the natural look. Nothing cookie cutter in any of those pics.

mbella
11-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Marc, the work looks awesome. BTW, I don't know what the hell Chris is talking about. It seems, this time of the year, he stops taking his meds.:dizzy:

MarcusLndscp
11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
CGLAND
LOL Chris...just so you know, I had to submit pics to MBella prior to posting these pics of the paver work. Close up shots of the cuts, all phases of base prep, edging installation, etc. Before posting them he made me redo a couple cuts and then rephotograph the work, resubmit to him and then post them on LS. He's such a paver god....atleast in his mind!:)
Also Chris you know it's not healthy for you when you go off and on your meds. Mike hates it when you get so moody...from what I understand that's we he asked you to move out for a while and reconsider your "relationship" together. I heard from a little birdy that he really misses having you around at night:laugh:

BIGVIC
Thanks for the comments, all the stone work is natural. The pic of the grill with the unfinished work around it is missing granite countertops. The countertops on it are temporary bluestone to keep the weather and debris from getting inside the unit. As far as the stairs go...they are all set with the ex and lifting slings. The average size of these are a minimum of 6' wide 4' deep and 7" risers. There's no way we could even consider setting them by hand. Some are even bigger than those sizes listed.

95% of our work is aimed towards 2nd homes on the lake so we try to lean towards more natural landscapes which are very exciting to build. It allows us a lot of room to be creative with what we do. Cookie cutter landscapes we do not do, each site gets special treatment although we have our staple elements we use in every landscape.

Happy thanksgiving all!

bigviclbi
11-24-2006, 01:59 AM
So is the natural stone mortared to block or are your walls stacked?

MarcusLndscp
11-24-2006, 08:17 AM
So is the natural stone mortared to block or are your walls stacked?
The grill pics are a combination of block and stone but the larger retaining walls are all dry laid. Columns/pillars have a block structure built first as well...sometimes given the column it's just half an 8" block stacked one on top of the other if the stone is more of a fieldstone and has greater depths to it. If the stone is 4" or less in depth a larger block structure is used. All our columns, grills and other masonry (wet work) are also built on a 4' deep concrete footing reinforced with rebar.

cgland
11-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Marcus - I'll have you know that I'm not off my meds, the prescription just ran out! And for the record....I asked Mike to move out.

Chris

MarcusLndscp
12-03-2006, 11:12 AM
a few more w/:

finished patio w/ radiant heat system, meadrain (pre-pitched channel drain)
finished planting
a wall

Waiting on custom cut bluestone cap for culture stone walls and pillars.....we didn't do the culture stone but we are doing the caps.....??? don't ask I'm not sure why the original mason isn't doing them

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
VERY nice! It's stuff like this that keeps me going. I can't wait until it's all stone work for me. The only thing missing is some water. Ohh wait there is a little pond in the background.

Very beautiful stuff!

klkanders
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Marcus - Great work! Thanks for posting all the pictures. Keep them coming.

Who does your outdoor lighting? What brands of fixtures? Thanks!

MarcusLndscp
12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!
KlKanders - We almost exclusively use Nightscaping for all of our night lighting needs and fortunately for us most of our clients opt for the extra expense. It truly brings a landscape and the property's architecture to life when dusk hits.
STL - While stone work is great don't give up on the rest when you can tastefully install a complete landscape. It's nice to have complete control of all aspects of a homes exterior. That way each facet of it compliments each other to the highest degree!!!