PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic oil help

robbo521
11-17-2006, 10:41 PM
my new ztrack calls for Hydraulic oil-15w-40 synthetic blend.looked at local store tonight and all they had was Hydraulic fluid and did not have a weight on it.what do you use?

Loy's Home Services, LLC
11-17-2006, 10:46 PM
My 757 takes 15w 40 reg motor oil.I think it is a 2004.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
11-17-2006, 10:48 PM
My 757 takes 15w 40 reg motor oil.I think it is a 2004. My tor z master takes mobile 1 15w40 fully senthetic motor oil. But most ztr's don't actually call for hydro oil, it is usually motor oil

robbo521
11-17-2006, 10:51 PM
please forgive me on this because i am new to it.but from what i take and read is just use 15w 40 reg motor oil?

huh
11-17-2006, 11:09 PM
call where you bought it just to double check :)

Runner
11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Most automotive stores carry the Mobil1 synthetic. And yes,....it IS oil.

WildWest
11-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Yes it IS engine oil.... but it's synthetic! You CAN use regular 15w-40 motor oil in it "BUT" use SYNTHETIC UNTIL IT's OUT OF WARRANTY! If you don't YOU WILL void the warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any auto parts store should have what you need!

robbo521
11-17-2006, 11:32 PM
thank you all very much.

MOW ED
11-18-2006, 07:34 AM
That voiding the warranty thing is not always true. I would say to break i the engine in with regular oil but after 50 hours or so synthetic is the best. Hell Detroit is sending Corvettes out of the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic. Check your owners manual if you are worried about warranty issues but I will tell you from direct experience that I have run a 2000 Kohler 26EFI in a Walker mower on synthetic from day one. It has 1577 hours on it and is as strong as ever. If you have a turd for a motor it most probably is a mfgrs defect or human error (dirt injestion, ect) that cause failure, not the type of oil unless you put wesson in it.:nono:

jkingrph
11-18-2006, 08:41 AM
My Scag Wildcat specifies 20w50 motor oil. Changed it to synthetic at about 10 hours.

LarryF
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
my new ztrack calls for Hydraulic oil-15w-40 synthetic blend.looked at local store tonight and all they had was Hydraulic fluid and did not have a weight on it.what do you use?

I assume that ztrack is another name being used for a ZTR, all of which that I'm familiar with have two different oil systems.....one for the engine and one for the hydraulic pumps. It appears that some of the responses are in regard to engine oil, but robbo521 specifically mentioned hydraulic oil........that is the oil for the pumps. For my Exmark, the engine dipstick specifies either SAE30 or 10W-30 if one prefers multi viscosity oil. It doesn't say anything about it having to be synthetic, but I presume that is also an option. However, the hydraulic-oil requirement for mine is for synthetic, and in my case the oil reservoir has a label that specifies "Mobil 1 SAE 15W50 Synthetic Engine Oil", and I seriously doubt if its possible to find many auto-parts stores in the US that don't carry it.

jkingrph
11-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Most of the newer ztr's and lawn/garden tractors with hydrostatic transmissions use engine oil in the hydralics.
I had an old Cub Cadet lawn tractor circa 1990 that used some kind of hydraulic oil. My 2000 JD lawn tractor specified synthetic 30w motor oil for the hydrostatic transmission. My new Scag specifies 20w50 motor oil. they do not require synthetic, I emailed and got reply from factory, although being a beliver in synthetics I did change it over.

Hope that helps.

robbo521
11-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I assume that ztrack is another name being used for a ZTR, all of which that I'm familiar with have two different oil systems.....one for the engine and one for the hydraulic pumps. It appears that some of the responses are in regard to engine oil, but robbo521 specifically mentioned hydraulic oil........that is the oil for the pumps. For my Exmark, the engine dipstick specifies either SAE30 or 10W-30 if one prefers multi viscosity oil. It doesn't say anything about it having to be synthetic, but I presume that is also an option. However, the hydraulic-oil requirement for mine is for synthetic, and in my case the oil reservoir has a label that specifies "Mobil 1 SAE 15W50 Synthetic Engine Oil", and I seriously doubt if its possible to find many auto-parts stores in the US that don't carry it.

thanks Larry,the book calls for "Hydraulic oil-15w-40 synthetic blend".when i went all over today all i could find is the Mobil 1 15w-50. synthetic may not be required but why is it in the book that way.

lawnspecialties
11-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I just changed my SuperZ's hydraulic fluid as well. 10W-40 Exxon motor oil. Hustler says if you use regular motor oil, you add Lubrizol to enhance it. If you use synthetic oil, you don't have to add anything.

Just get some Mobil-1 synthetic. You don't change the stuff very often so just use the best you can get. Remember, you can pay a little now or a lot later.

By the way, almost all 15W-40 synthetics are going to be for diesel engines. Check the SAE info. to make sure it matches Deere's specs.

LarryF
11-18-2006, 07:39 PM
thanks Larry,the book calls for "Hydraulic oil-15w-40 synthetic blend".when i went all over today all i could find is the Mobil 1 15w-50. synthetic may not be required but why is it in the book that way.

You got me! But I'm not familiar with John Deere products. I went to their web site and found this.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_0w40.html

It's the only reference I saw to synthetic oil, but it's 0W-40, not 15W-40. Someone else suggested you go to where you bought the mower. If you are unwilling to take a chance on the Mobil 15W-50 that you have been able to find, I think that would be your best bet. But I have to admit that it seems strange that John Deere doesn't show the synthetic 15W-40 that the manual recommends.

There must be a lot of folks with John Deere ZTRs using this LawnSite. Maybe one of them will jump in and help you.

robbo521
11-18-2006, 07:53 PM
here is the page from the book and there web site if it helps.

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMTCU19790_B5/Output/Index.html

LarryF
11-18-2006, 08:30 PM
That URL didn't work. Sorry!

robbo521
11-18-2006, 08:54 PM
well dang it keeps cutting it off.

Service Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hydraulic Oil

Use the following oil viscosity based on the air temperature range. Operating outside of the recommended oil air temperature range may cause premature hydrostatic transmission failure.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Only use a quality oil in this transmission. Do not mix any other oils in this transmission. Do not use BIO-HY-GARD in this transmission. Do not use "Type F" (Red) Automatic Transmission Fluid in this transmission.

The following oil is recommended:

∑ JD Plus 50 15W-40 Synthetic Blend

Oil must meet the following:

∑ API Service Classification SG or higher

Pumper
11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Guys,

All of the manufacturers that I know of use motor oil in their hydraulic systems. If they call out for snythetic, you had better use it. The snythetic oil results in a 15-20 degree difference in temperature than the regular motor oil. This can be the difference in overheating your hydraulics and smearing your pump. While the machines may look similar, they are all designed different. Exmark/Toro use synthetic oil because they have such a small oil tank. The oil is constantly moving and the tank isn't big enough to draw off much heat. While the John Deere has a much bigger tank, it is plastic. The plastic acts as more of an insulator than a heat transfer. Dixie Chopper, Bad Boy, Hustler, Scag, etc. all have much larger metal tanks and may or may not use the snythetic.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree, any 15W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil will work in this application. Mobile 1 is one of the best brands. As already said, this is not a fluid you change often, I would put the best in it, or buy the fluid from Deere. but I know my dealer has said that any oils are okay and will not void warranties as long as synthics are replaced with synthetics and the recommended viscosity ratings are complied with.

robbo521
11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
well i talked with Deere about it today and they say just like the book said,
JD Plus 50 15W-40 Synthetic Blend.the bad thing is all i can find around here is 15w-50 Synthetic Blend.Deere asked why i need it since i just got it and i told them it was not full on the stick.she said it should have been and she would fix me up.wife went by at lunch and got 2 free gallons of it.:dancing:

WildWest
11-20-2006, 06:24 PM
wife went by at lunch and got 2 free gallons of it.:dancing:

A sweet smile would get me NOTHING!!!!!!
Aren't wives AWSOME! LOL!!! :) They LOVE us AND get us goodies! (all you perverts... let it be!)