PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the Stihl BR600 today

LawnMower
11-17-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm in the market for a new bad boy back pack blower. I have the Red Max 8000 and it blows like a hurricane. But its the only thing it does well. Iv had nothing but problems and head aches from the beast. There's more then a few times I almost backed over it on purpose.

The Stihl BR 600 has more spit and polish the Red Max. It just looks better thought out. It was light , and felt comfortable on my back. It was quiet compared to what I'm used too. The Red Max is as loud as a 2 cycle motor cross bike. But what really mattered to me is how much air the BR 600 blows.

The BR600 blows like a hurricane too. To me it has as much balls as the Red Max 8000.The Red Max might seem to be more powerful because of the loud 2 cycle engine. I tryed both blowers side by side on an old pile grass . They both struggled with the pile. Depending on what way you pointed the nozzle made all the difference on both blowers.

I think the Stihl did a better job of blowing leaves out of the prickers. The one thing I didn't compare them on, is a mountain of leafs. I was demoing the BR 600 at the dealer ship.

I don't know how the BR600 holds up over time. Today at the dealership I was impressed.

mowerman90
11-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I've had one since the beginning of the summer and it has not missed a beat yet. Starts on the 1st pull usually, sometimes it'll take 2 but never more than that. Great fuel economy. I would buy another.

dennys-lawn
11-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Running 2 Now And Buying 2 More In Spring.

LawnBrother
11-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Mine's been kicking some ass on some leaves.

Envy Lawn Service
11-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Well, if you are going to buy one, my advice is to take home the same one you demoed.
I say this because it seems the BR600 mfg/design lacks consistancy.
The reason being is that I feel the same as you to an extent.
But many here do not.
I'm confident they ended up with 'duds' that didn't make full power.

In any event, I guess some folks think I've became anti-Stihl or something because I've been buying RedMax stuff this year. But I haven't. I still endorse Stihl, still have their logo in my sig line and still really like most of their products. To be honest about it, I've replaced only 1 piece of Stihl equipment with a RedMax and that's only because Stihl no longer makes that unit.

Anyways, back to the blower topic... I decided to go with the EBZ8001's and other RedMax products instead of sticking my neck out on the chopping block by adding more 4-mix tools. I figured my safest bet was to 'spread my risk' for a while.

For everyday blowing and normal use blowing, there isn't a whole lot of difference to me. For that, it's more about personal preferences than anything.... and for some chores I think I prefer the more pinpont air stream of the BR600's and PB-751's. But for the rest, I prefer the 8001's.

Other than the 8001's being so big, I prefer them for blowing out beds. With different configurations of the stock tubes you can get 3 different air streams which helps there. The same goes for really extreme leaf work.

The performance gap shows up when moving massive amounts of leaves though.

John Gamba
11-18-2006, 07:00 AM
I've had one since the beginning of the summer and it has not missed a beat yet. Starts on the 1st pull usually, sometimes it'll take 2 but never more than that. Great fuel economy. I would buy another.

Exactly:) :)

John Gamba
11-18-2006, 07:04 AM
one thing i will add, you need 89 octane to achieve maximum blowing force. i seen a difference in about two tank fulls on blowing performance with the lower grade fuel.

No big deal.

noseha
11-18-2006, 07:37 AM
I think the two blower are great. I think the stihl is the better all around blower. I will be buying two more for clean ups.

WJW Lawn
11-18-2006, 08:21 AM
There are so many reasons I like the br600 better too. Lighter...love the turtle shape (doesnt snag)...not as loud...great on fuel...and it kicks BUTT!

LawnMower
11-18-2006, 10:07 AM
So if any one wants to try and talk me out of buying the BR600, nows the time. I still have my options open. I would still consider the Red Max 8001 if all the bugs are worked out. As far as the BR600, $450 is a lot of money for a blower that might not be consistent or reliable. :)

John Gamba
11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
So if any one wants to try and talk me out of buying the BR600, nows the time. I still have my options open. I would still consider the Red Max 8001 if all the bugs are worked out. As far as the BR600, $450 is a lot of money for a blower that might not be consistent or reliable. :)

My 600 does run better on 89 then87.

grassaholic
11-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Go ahead and get the BR 600. I've had mine since last fall and it hasn't missed a beat. I was going to buy a Redmax 8001 but my dealer had a demo that changed my mind. He had a really tall clear pipe filled with tennis balls. The object was to see which blower would push the balls higher in the tube and hold them there. The BR 600 won the test. As far as what I like about the blower here's my list.
1. It's very lightweight
2. It's compact
3. It's very quiet compared to other blowers
4. Awsome throttle response, You dont have the on/off lightswitch type power curve of a traditional 2 stroke. I like this alot when walking around landscapes and blowing leaves out of shrubs and beds.

John Gamba
11-18-2006, 12:42 PM
1. It's very lightweight
2. It's compact
4. Awsome throttle response, You dont have the on/off lightswitch type power curve of a traditional 2 stroke. I like this alot when walking around landscapes and blowing leaves out of shrubs and beds.

Same here:)

wriken
11-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I believe thats what the dealer told me to run in mine. Honestly I don't think nitro would have helped it.:)

John Gamba
11-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I believe thats what the dealer told me to run in mine. Honestly I don't think nitro would have helped it.:)

It sounds like you needed a turbo:laugh: :waving:

LawnMower
11-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Your BR 600 isnt very powerfull?

noseha
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM

you're talking about the wrong brand redmaxs is the one with issues.

noseha
11-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Go ahead and get the BR 600. I've had mine since last fall and it hasn't missed a beat. I was going to buy a Redmax 8001 but my dealer had a demo that changed my mind. He had a really tall clear pipe filled with tennis balls. The object was to see which blower would push the balls higher in the tube and hold them there. The BR 600 won the test. As far as what I like about the blower here's my list.
1. It's very lightweight
2. It's compact

ya..............very good points

wriken
11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Your BR 600 isnt very powerfull?
I only had it 8 days, stihl told dealer to buy it back. I have no idea why it did'nt produce enough air, dealer tested for right rpm's,etc, everything checked out ok

S man
11-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I only had it 8 days, stihl told dealer to buy it back. I have no idea why it did'nt produce enough air, dealer tested for right rpm's,etc, everything checked out ok

You had a rotten apple in the barrel.

ALBsun1
11-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Bought my BR600 about this time last year. It broke this september. Went to start it, locked up. Took it in, it was covered under warranty. I have to find the reciept, can't remember the specifics, but the parts on the reciept amounted to about $275. Some sort of bearing, piston problem, some major part got blown. I don't know, i am far from a mechanic, i will find the reciept and look at it. they had to have the stihl guy come in and fix it. Glad it was under warranty. Works great now, knock on wood.

ALBsun1
11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
One final note, gotta say i am really liking this new echo pb755 i got this year. It is heavier than the stihl yes, but the thing just seems like a tank, a more durable blower for some reason. Only time will tell i guess. I think i am just partial to echo's starting system, always the same on all their products. Saw one on ebay for 440 or so and free shipping.

LawnMower
11-18-2006, 06:28 PM
My dealer said there were a few bugs that have been worked out with the BR600. Hes sold a bunch to guys around here, and hes had good luck with all the blowers so far. Like I said before, the BR600 that I tried had as much power or close to the Red Max 8000.

Lazer_Z
11-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Lawnmower, on the price is that $450.00 your final price with tax? I wish I had taken my digi cam with me today because I moved what seemed to be a ton of leaves. The first "pile" if you will had to be between 10' & 12' long and 4' to 5' wide and my BR600 kicked some leaves. The 2nd pile was about 4' wide and about 3' tall and again the BR600 performed flawlessly. BTW on the note of the price my BR600 w/tax ran me $498.15 & if I had to I would buy my BR600 all over again.

Rob

Don G
11-18-2006, 08:31 PM
I've been running a new BR600 this fall, and have been very satisfied with its performance. Mine was $489 before taxes here in mid Missouri.

LawnMower
11-18-2006, 10:32 PM
I said $450 but I'm probably wrong. The price is probably closer to what you guys are saying. I think i paid $450 for my Red Max 8000 on line. They were a sponsor on here. Never again will I buy a peice of equipment in this business with out local dealer support. My dealer is a great punch of guys. The mechanic can fix anything but a broken heart. They bust balls, but I got used to that years and years ago. :laugh:

Lawnworks
11-18-2006, 10:39 PM
My dealer said there were a few bugs that have been worked out with the BR600. Hes sold a bunch to guys around here, and hes had good luck with all the blowers so far. Like I said before, the BR600 that I tried had as much power or close to the Red Max 8000.

Well your dealer is full of crap. I have 3 stihl br600s. They have had major engine failure 5 times. Even w/ the newer improved parts, they still blew. My buddy just bought a new one a couple weeks ago and it has had major engine failure. So far all of mine have all been under warranty... if this happens after warranty you might as well throw it away and buy a new blower. Stihl also needs to re-inforce the handle at the top of the blower... we have broken all three of ours at some point, and they are $60 a pop. We have had great luck w/ the echos.... no more stihl blowers for us... love the trimmers and chainsaws though.

Lazer_Z
11-18-2006, 11:15 PM
I still can't understand why so may of you are having problems with the Stihl's. I have not had a single problem with any of mine so far I only have 5 pieces of Stihl but it will be going to 7 this spring with the addition of a new FS90 trimmer and a yet undecided hedge trimmer. As far as Echo goes the only good Echo in my lineup is my SRM2601 but it will take a backseat come spring. I loved my PB650, that is until I put a BR600 on my back.

Rob

Lawnworks
11-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I still can't understand why so may of you are having problems with the Stihl's. I have not had a single problem with any of mine so far I only have 5 pieces of Stihl but it will be going to 7 this spring with the addition of a new FS90 trimmer and a yet undecided hedge trimmer. As far as Echo goes the only good Echo in my lineup is my SRM2601 but it will take a backseat come spring. I loved my PB650, that is until I put a BR600 on my back.

Rob

How many hours you have on yours? We have had ours for about a year or so, and work 60+ hours a week so it might be just a matter of time for you. I like them alot... they might even be more powerful that the 650s, but they just aren't reliable. When they go down it is a week before we get them back b/c they have to order shortblocks, pistons, etc. I just picked up one that blew Friday actually.

Just Mow
11-18-2006, 11:41 PM
How many hours you have on yours? We have had ours for about a year or so, and work 60+ hours a week so it might be just a matter of time for you. I like them alot... they might even be more powerful that the 650s, but they just aren't reliable. When they go down it is a week before we get them back b/c they have to order shortblocks, pistons, etc. I just picked up one that blew Friday actually.
I'm two seasons in and have no problems at all. All of them are used and all are reliable. Sorry you had a problem with yours. Nice to know that Stihl took care of them. I don't think you will have anymore problems since the fix was done.

Just Mow
11-18-2006, 11:43 PM

Rob
I'm glad you like your Stihl equipment. I love mine and will have nothing else. Look at the HS81T for your next hedge trimmer. Very fast blade speed with absolutely zero vibration. :drinkup:

MGV
11-19-2006, 12:52 AM
I have 3 Stihl BR 600's now. No problem with them, lot's of air flow, easy starting. A good quality backpack blower.

Richard Martin
11-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Mine's about 16 months old now and it's been flawless since I put a heavier fuel filter in it. I still hate the gas cap though.

Lawnworks
11-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm two seasons in and have no problems at all. All of them are used and all are reliable. Sorry you had a problem with yours. Nice to know that Stihl took care of them. I don't think you will have anymore problems since the fix was done.

Why do you say that? The one that blew last week was one that had already blew a couple months before and had the "updated" parts. I think it is only a matter of time for you guys.

sawman65
11-19-2006, 11:34 AM
i dont get it lawn works you say "updated parts" the only thing stihl has up dated is the fan and the exaust valve the fan was prone to breaking and the valve would get carbon build up causing a no compresion syptom
and guys rember to take all your 4 mix equipment back after a few tanks of fuel are run through it to get the valve adjustment done is is under warranty and is a must for longevity.

Just Mow
11-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Why do you say that? The one that blew last week was one that had already blew a couple months before and had the "updated" parts. I think it is only a matter of time for you guys.

I'll take my chances. Besides they will take care of it if it does happen.

S man
11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
i dont get it lawn works you say "updated parts" the only thing stihl has up dated is the fan and the exaust valve the fan was prone to breaking and the valve would get carbon build up causing a no compresion syptom
and guys rember to take all your 4 mix equipment back after a few tanks of fuel are run through it to get the valve adjustment done is is under warranty and is a must for longevity.

The mechanic at a dealer I bought my 4 mix from said you can't adjust the valves. Guess who is not my dealer for stihl anymore.

Lawnworks
11-19-2006, 04:15 PM

I was refering to a change in internals... I don't know the specifics but supposedly stihl has made some changes... b/c I am not the only one having problems.

sawman65
11-19-2006, 04:17 PM
cant adjust the valves????!!! he must wake and bake in the morning and lunch and dinner..........lol

S man
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
cant adjust the valves????!!! he must wake and bake in the morning and lunch and dinner..........lol

Stihl gave me a annother dealer that's the 5 star guy in the area. I'm going tomorrow.

Just Mow
11-19-2006, 05:54 PM
The mechanic at a dealer I bought my 4 mix from said you can't adjust the valves. Guess who is not my dealer for stihl anymore.
I don't blame you on that one.

HenryB
11-19-2006, 06:04 PM
So it sounds like the 600's are not holding up under heavy commercial use; but light commercial use they are great?

Just Mow
11-19-2006, 06:11 PM
So it sounds like the 600's are not holding up under heavy commercial use; but light commercial use they are great?

Apparently you took the voice of one person on this thread and came to that conclusion. Maybe you need to read again.

HenryB
11-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Apparently you took the voice of one person on this thread and came to that conclusion. Maybe you need to read again.

Just trying to get an accurate account. I would say only 15% of the people on Lawnsite use stuff heavy duty commercial (45-65hrs) a week. It sounds like that one guy fits that bill and he didn't have much luck with the 600.

John Gamba
11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Just trying to get an accurate account. I would say only 15% of the people on Lawnsite use stuff heavy duty commercial (45-65hrs) a week. It sounds like that one guy fits that bill and he didn't have much luck with the 600.

There has been users that had one hour that had problems??

grassaholic
11-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I use all my equipment ALOT. My 600 is about 14 months old and still running strong. I'm not saying nobody has had problems with the 600 but so far I'm only counting 2 people in this thread. no brand of equipment is the answer as far as reliability and longevity are concerned. It seems to be a crapshoot because I've gotten a lemon from Stihl, echo[ 2 of them actually!], and Redmax.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I have all Stihl equipment and I too have a BR600. Love it, it is a beast. I ahve had Zero problems out of it and woudl recommend it to anyone.

Yes, occassionally, someone will have a problem once in a while. But if you have a good dealer, they will take care of you. My dealer takes care of me. 1 Warranty issue with a trimmer and I just got a call they they have fixed a 30 year old chainsaw of mine for $28.00.

Lawnworks
11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I wish these things has an hour meter... that way we could see what is going on. It doesn't really make sense to me, why other people's are running, but mine keep blowing up.... repeatedly. The only thing I can think of is I might be putting more hours on them. Don't get me wrong I like the blower, and love stihl products, but there is a problem w/ the 600s. I rarely have any other issues w/ my 10 4-mix trimmers or 3 4-mix hedge trimmers. I had some coil problems, but that was several months ago and they were warrantied.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Lawnworks, I have no idea what keeps causing your BR600s to fail? Typically, heat and friction are the primary causes of engine failure, resulting from lack of cooling or lack of lubrication. If you are running the same 50:1 mix in your BR600 as your other Stihl products, then I can almost assuredly rule out lack of lubrication. You say you used your ALOT and had many hours on them (can't really tell without hour meter) but is there a chance that they did not get cleaned properly and were unable to cool themselves down? Just a thought. There has to be a reason your keep failing and most eveyone else is happy with their performance and reliability.

I have no issues with any of my Stihl Equipment. If they stay this good in quality and reliability (and I have no dought they will) I will stay using Stihl. THey seem to be on the leading edge of much of the technology improvements.

Lawnworks
11-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Lawnworks, I have no idea what keeps causing your BR600s to fail? Typically, heat and friction are the primary causes of engine failure, resulting from lack of cooling or lack of lubrication. If you are running the same 50:1 mix in your BR600 as your other Stihl products, then I can almost assuredly rule out lack of lubrication. You say you used your ALOT and had many hours on them (can't really tell without hour meter) but is there a chance that they did not get cleaned properly and were unable to cool themselves down? Just a thought. There has to be a reason your keep failing and most eveyone else is happy with their performance and reliability.

I have no issues with any of my Stihl Equipment. If they stay this good in quality and reliability (and I have no dought they will) I will stay using Stihl. THey seem to be on the leading edge of much of the technology improvements.

I don't follow that statement???

As far as I am concerned, they just don't hold up under heavy commercial use. We have 3 Echo 755s that are blowing and not blowing up! They rarely need anything and just keep going and going... so it can't be operator error.... it is a manufacturer error.

S man
11-20-2006, 09:13 PM

As far as I am concerned, they just don't hold up under heavy commercial use. We have 3 Echo 755s that are blowing and not blowing up! They rarely need anything and just keep going and going... so it can't be operator error.... it is a manufacturer error.

Echo does make a good blower. That 755 looks very heavy though.

Just Mow
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM

Sorry you had problems with yours. I run all Stihl equipment and have many Br600 units that are going to be going into their third season with ZERO problems. I have had coils on the trimmers replaced under warranty but nothing done to the 600. Good luck with your Echo units.

lawns Etc
11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
I would say untill today I was very happy with my BR600 until it took about 15 minutes of running to get its stuff together (the first real chilly day) it started up on the first pull but power was low until it got hot I do use the Stihl mix but have never had an issue wiyh a true 2 stroke

jbell113
11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
After reading hundreds of threads and demoing several different types of blowers I broke down and bought the 8001 last week. Only 1 dealer near me had them them. I called every shop and most of the shop owners never heard of an 8001 they kept asking me (are you sure its not the 8000). Anyway it doesnt seem to blow any better than any of the demoes I tried out. I wish I had something to compare it to besides my BR 340.

Lawnworks
11-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Sorry you had problems with yours. I run all Stihl equipment and have many Br600 units that are going to be going into their third season with ZERO problems. I have had coils on the trimmers replaced under warranty but nothing done to the 600. Good luck with your Echo units.

How many br600 blowers do you have? How many hours a week do they get worked?

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
After reading hundreds of threads and demoing several different types of blowers I broke down and bought the 8001 last week. Only 1 dealer near me had them them. I called every shop and most of the shop owners never heard of an 8001 they kept asking me (are you sure its not the 8000). Anyway it doesnt seem to blow any better than any of the demoes I tried out. I wish I had something to compare it to besides my BR 340.

Dude... I understand what you mean. I was the same way about the 8001's at first. I thought yeah, they move more air for sure in a wider stream... but as far as stronger than the other elite blowers... nope.

But I'm telling you from personal experience... you gotta get them in big piles of leaves to see the force they have... and you gotta give them a long while to break in fully, and wake up power wise.

I'm not talking a couple tanks of fuel either.
I'm talking several gallons before they even really start to come alive.

I don't know if they have been as slow to come around for other people or not though. I've been running Amsoil at 50:1 so that may be why it seems to me to be taking a really long time for me.

LawnMower
11-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm reading every post on here. I'm so hoping to be talked into the BR600. I love Stihl equipment. I have an awesome dealer that I buy my Stihl equipment plus Bob Cat mowers from. Its nice when all your equipment comes from one dealer. My dealer is great bunch of guys with a lot of know how.

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm reading every post on here. I'm so hoping to be talked into the BR600. I love Stihl equipment. I have an awesome dealer that I buy my Stihl equipment plus Bob Cat mowers from. Its nice when all your equipment comes from one dealer. My dealer is great bunch of guys with a lot of know how.

That too carries a lot of weight and is worth as much as anything.

jbell113
11-21-2006, 06:11 PM

I know how you feel, I to was wanting to be talked into a BR 600 and my dealer like yours are a great group of guys and it sounds funny but ...I didnt want to disappoint them. But they dont have to know I bought an 8001 and if anything is ever said I will tell them to look at lawnsite.com and that is all the proof you will need as to why I bought what I did.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I would say untill today I was very happy with my BR600 until it took about 15 minutes of running to get its stuff together (the first real chilly day) it started up on the first pull but power was low until it got hot I do use the Stihl mix but have never had an issue wiyh a true 2 stroke

This morning i put my 600 in the back of the truck 32 out, i drove about 6 miles got out, pulled the blower out and it took 6 pulls to get it going --- mind you i dont use the primer bulb -- it blow like it was warmed up and i was very impressed today how it blew.

Its weird how theses blowers are. tomorrow i will try the primer bulb first.

S man
11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
This morning i put my 600 in the back of the truck 32 out, i drove about 6 miles got out, pulled the blower out and it took 6 pulls to get it going --- mind you i dont use the primer bulb -- it blow like it was warmed up and i was very impressed today how it blew.

Its weird how theses blowers are. tomorrow i will try the primer bulb first.

It has a personallity. Like my 4 mix.

qualitylandscaping
11-21-2006, 09:36 PM

I just bought 5 new BR600's today. Replacing some of the older Kawasaki KRB400's..

Dealer told us to run 89-93 octane with the Stihl HP Ultra (full synthetic) oil. Freakin oil is $4.00 for a 2.5gallon mix bottle!! ;) ;)

Envy Lawn Service
11-22-2006, 12:11 AM
I just bought 5 new BR600's today. Replacing some of the older Kawasaki KRB400's..

Dealer told us to run 89-93 octane with the Stihl HP Ultra (full synthetic) oil. Freakin oil is $4.00 for a 2.5gallon mix bottle!! ;) ;)

That's NUTZ... but not really nutz at $1.60 per gallon.
Sorta like the expense of buying singles (gallon mixes) on at a time.

Just use some Opti-2 or Amsoil mix oil.
Always use 89-93 octane quality fuel.

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 07:18 AM

I just use there regular oil, the white bottle.

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2006, 08:29 AM
That's NUTZ... but not really nutz at $1.60 per gallon.
Sorta like the expense of buying singles (gallon mixes) on at a time.

Just use some Opti-2 or Amsoil mix oil.
Always use 89-93 octane quality fuel.

I would be alot more than $1.60 per gallon of oil.. I meant that it's $4.00 per mix bottle (only mixes 2.5gallons of fuel @ 50:1).

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2006, 08:32 AM
I just use there regular oil, the white bottle.

Is that ok?

Dealer told us specifically to run only the Stihl Ultra oil. Is it a must, or are they just trying to get us to spend the $$ on oil?

We normally run the High Performance (orange bottle), in all of our older equipment. He said all of the new 4-mix products should only be run on the Ultra or equivelant I would assume.

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Is that ok?

Dealer told us specifically to run only the Stihl Ultra oil. Is it a must, or are they just trying to get us to spend the $$ on oil?

We normally run the High Performance (orange bottle), in all of our older equipment. He said all of the new 4-mix products should only be run on the Ultra or equivelant I would assume.

My dealer(former) never said anything about it. this was two years ago.

Lazer_Z
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Steve, your getting smoke blown up your @ss man, I run the oil in the orange bottle in my Stihl's and they run fine. Before I got my BR600 I ran the same oil in my Echo PB650 and had 0 problems.

Rob

John Gamba
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
32 out again, two pushes of the primer bulb and it took two pulls to start and it ran like a champ.

Happy thanksgiving to stihl

S man
11-22-2006, 03:16 PM

That's what they wanted me to get. I just got the regular though because they didn't have the white bottle in.

Envy Lawn Service
11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
I would be alot more than $1.60 per gallon of oil.. I meant that it's $4.00 per mix bottle (only mixes 2.5gallons of fuel @ 50:1).

:nono: I meant cost per gallon extra for mixed fuel.

$4 bottle / 2.5 gallons mixed = $1.60 for enough oil for 1 gallon mix

Basically it's around the cost per mixed gallon of other quality mix oils... if you buy the one gallon single bottles.Those little bottles that make one gallon of mix fuel.

LawnMower
11-24-2006, 06:19 PM
My dealer only sells the oil in the orange bottle. I didn't even know Stihl made a synthetic. I bet some of the old timers around here mix engine oil in with the gas. Hey, it may smoke a little, but thats the way they did it in the old days. I'm not sure they do that with the 4 mixers.

S man
11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
My dealer only sells the oil in the orange bottle. I didn't even know Stihl made a synthetic. I bet some of the old timers around here mix engine oil in with the gas. Hey, it may smoke a little, but thats the way they did it in the old days. I'm not sure they do that with the 4 mixers.

Same here. He's not getting the synthetic in. Too bad stihl told me to use it specifically.

Richard Martin
11-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Same here. He's not getting the synthetic in.

Pray tell, what excuse did your dealer give you for not getting Stihl synthetic in? Is it witch's magic or black voodoo or something?

Anyway, here's a link to some really good synthetic oil...

www.amsoil.com

They'll ship it to your house, you don't even have to go and get it.

LawnMower
11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I was driving along today and saw a guy with the BR600. I stopped and asked him how he liked it and he loved it. The brand new one blowes better then the one they bought last year. I watched him and the new BR600 was blowing like a hurricane. I guess that means the BR600s are better now, then they used to be.

bigjeeping
11-25-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm running two 600's now and will be buying more in the spring! Amazing blower!