PDA

View Full Version : Keeping employees...

gogetter
06-21-2001, 01:12 AM
Not that I'm near this point yet, but was pondering the future.
How do you keep employees year after year if you can't keep them on year round?
I do lawn maintenance and I know I couldn't keep an employee on all year. Since there's no way a guy can make 6 months of "helpers pay" stretch over a 12 month period, what do you do? Lay 'em off so they can collect unemployment (not that I can see how they could survive off of that either, but...)?.

The idea of finding a new guy (or guys) each season doesn't sound very practical. So what do you guys do?

I'd like to be able to hire someone and try to stretch the season as long as possible to keep them working, but I can't see more then 7 or 8 months at the most. Then what, hope they'll be available and want to come back next season? Sounds risky that way.

BTW, I tried the search, but wasn't finding quite what I was looking for. Thanks in advance!

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 01:40 AM
do you do leave or plow snow
or any other winter work

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-21-2001, 04:26 AM
Keep your emloyees happy all year for starters. I have 2 full time, 4 part-timers that work their butts off. I recognize their work and dedication. I bought a couple of them tickets to NASCAR races before, gift certificates, buying them lunches at times, really whatever it takes to let them know you appreciate their hard work. This makes them come back much easier. We generally work through November and yes, we have 2 trucks plowing snow mostly on a 2.5" trigger which keeps them pleanty busy in the winter. The full timers turn part-time in the winter for snow removal, chopping firewood, and Christmas tree sales untill spring. Hope this helps!

Scott

P&J Lawncare
06-21-2001, 11:49 PM
every year give the good workers raises that seems to work real well

Fallguy
06-22-2001, 02:35 AM
if your having that big of a problem or if it bugs you you might be better off going it alone - dont bite off more than you can chew - be a one man team - all you need to be worried about is your money and how your going to eat and solo workers can make some good deniero - just a thought - also, i know about how hard it is to find hard workers and i have found it makes me work harder having to go behind somebody who has no clue how its done. if you are thinking you still need somebody to help you then you should put a ad in the newspaper saying your looking for someone with prior lawn care management expierience - alot of guys have lost their businesses due to theft around here who probably had a good thing going at one time but messed up by not insuring their equipment for theft - i know this cause i have met several that are now either mechanics or sales people - they could even possibly get some of their old accounts back - if its enough accounts and money is good - save it up - then take the winter off - God knows we earn it.