PDA

View Full Version : mulch blower

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 01:12 AM
does any one use a mulch blower
if so what kind and does it cut labor and do a good job does it work on small jobs

MTCDAVE33
06-21-2001, 11:21 AM
I HAVE USED A 60 YARD BLOWER TRUCK. MY BUDDY JUST BOUGHT ONE THIS SEASON. SAVES MAJOR BUCKS ON LABOR AND SUPPLIES. ONE EXAMPLE, LAST SEASON, ONE JOB, 25 YARDS AND 12 HOURS TO SPREAD. WITH THE TRUCK, 16 YARDS AND 1.5 HOURS. I HAVE HAD HIM DO AS LITTLE AS 4 YARDS AND SAVE ME BIG BUCKS. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

smburgess
06-21-2001, 01:24 PM
I've used two different companies this year to compare. One was good on quantity and clean up, the other was good on clean up (a little short on quanity, charged for 40 yards, more like thirty-five). It does save labor, but you still have to prep the beds; edge, cleanout debris. Also you don't make as much profit because the blower company gets it, contractors price is $32 per yard and non-contractors price is $40. So I only use the blower service if I can't work it into my schedule.

dan deutekom
06-21-2001, 06:28 PM
had a blower truck do our rose gardens this year. Used 20 yards of mulch that would have to be wheeled by hand about 400' if done by hand. Was placed and done in 1 1/2 hours start to finish. Best invention since sliced bread

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2001, 01:32 AM
you guy's must have misunderstood my post

I was thinking of buying one

I put out almost 12,000 yrds of mulch in the spring and 3,000 to 4,000yrds throughout the rest of the year and need to cut down on useing temp labor sevices to put out mulch the guy's they send suck

smburgess
06-23-2001, 11:20 PM
Thanks for clearing your post up.
You'll still need at one other person to help, and of course it's going to save you labor.
Based on what your amount of mulch is, however you may need TWO TRUCKS unless you are really getting a big one (say 80 yards). The ones around here only handle 40-45 (packin'). At 40 yards per load, shooting 80 a day (about the limit), you'll be busy 237 DAYS STRAIGHT.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You've really got me curious as how you handle 12,000 yards in the spring, especially since you mentioned the small jobs.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-25-2001, 03:19 AM
are season start mid Feb

well the lawn guys handle the small jobs the 5,10,15,ets jobs loaded at the shop they do about 3,000 yards

the temp labor handle the big jobs office builings (1 that takes 3500yrds)hospitals etc. and some large estates

we have the mulch delivered by supplier 75 yrd truck load with skid steer into trailers and cart towed behind mowers and small tractors

it doesn't take long to put out 75 yards with 20 people moving it
but i have too get rid of the tamp labor out of 20 half work hard and i send the rest back and thay send replacments

one of the real big guy now have a Finn trailer mounted but I couldn't see it work I was on the hyway

but i think if i get this truck i can elimanate them and get a couple of guy to do this full time but i don't know how well or where it can go

i don't know if truck mounted or trailer mounted

but i will be in Kentucky for expo

jaclawn
06-26-2001, 08:00 PM
I have done TONS of thinking, planning, and researching on the mulch blowers. I came to a few conclusions:

1. The most sensible unit is a truck mounted unit that will allow you to fill up at the shop, and blow mulch at least for a half day.
2. The least sensible unit is a 1 yard trailer mounted unit. I find that these units require a tractor on site to continusily load the hopper. I would think that they would only be cost effective on jobs where access in limited.

Having to bring a tractor on site to load the hopper requires another truck to haul the tractor, or requires two trips to the site. This also requires that the mulch is delivered, and dumped onsite, or dumped from the truck hauling the blower or tractor to the site. Often, there is no practical place to dump the mulch pile. This system requires two people to be working together, one loading the hopper, and the other blowing the mulch. There are operating and overhead costs involved with the tractor.

3. The large mulch trucks, (30-40 yard capicity) can be cumbersome to manuver in residential neighborhoods. They may also require a commercial drivers license.

David Gretzmier
06-26-2001, 11:47 PM
I gotta see that 3500 YARD mulch job. WOW. You need the rexius, plain and simple. I don't know why you haven't bought it. nothing else will satisfy you.They 'll be at louisville expo, and you need to look at their $300,000 rig. It sounds like you have the work and can afford the payments by getting rid of your temps. You'll need a driver with a CDL, as the rig is rated at way more than 26000 GVW. you'll need a serious 3-5 yard loader on a raised platform to load it as it is tall as a semi. 2 people to handle the hose. The newest ones can color the mulch, mix seed and blow compost/fertilizer on yards to seed or overseed. you might find a used one from the company that makes them if you just plan on mulching. The company is based out of Nashville. dave g

LAWNGODFATHER
06-29-2001, 01:01 PM
I found a used Finn mounted on a truck 16yrd cap
they want $52,000

I have a CDL I drive big farm trucks for a friend who is a farmer