PDA

View Full Version : Help, bubbling out not poping up and spraying

EvandSeby
11-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Reisdential system, 1" Hunter SRV valve and 9 six inch ajustable spray heads. The water just boils out of the heads and the popups don't come all the way up. I have changed the diaphram, problem still exists. There are no visable leaks that I can see that would cause a loss of pressure. This is on a weekly mowing customer and the landscape contractor who installed the system won't even take a look for another few weeks. I just overseeded with perennial rye grass, and it needs water soon. I only do minor sprinkler repair work but this has me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

mojob
11-18-2006, 10:29 AM
If there are any other valves in the same box,you could try swapping the wires, solenoids, or guts of the valves. I'd do the easiest thing first which would be the wire swap. Do the other zones work properly? Has anyone done any digging or moving the soil anywhere in the yard? The line could have been kinked. If the all the swapping doesn't do the trick, you might have to open the line on the downstream side to see if you have pressure there. If this valve is off by itself, have you checked to see if it has pressure up to the valve?

londonrain
11-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Hunter had a problem with the solenoids a few years back. If you have an old style solenoid with Hunter in Silver letters with gray or black wires more than likely that could be the problem. The inners of the solenoid would separate from the housing. When this happens the valve would not open completely. Check the solenoid. The new style solenoids have red wires.
I have also had a SRV not open all the way after replace the diaphragm and solenoid. I replaced the top with the Hunter 1" PGV top and it worked just fine.

EvandSeby
11-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. PVC in the ground so no kinks. The reason I didn't think it was the solenoid, is the problem still exists when using the manual switch at the box and also on the bleeder at the valve (turning solenoid slightly) Its new construction with the red wires. I will try the new PGV top unit, is that the one with the flow control knob? Thanks again

Wet_Boots
11-18-2006, 11:32 AM
One reason for a valve failing to open completely, is an obstruction in the solenoid flow pathway, part of which is in the valve body. Probing with a marker-flag wire might be productive. Sometimes, glue can partially block the flow.

londonrain
11-18-2006, 12:15 PM
One reason for a valve failing to open completely, is an obstruction in the solenoid flow pathway, part of which is in the valve body. Probing with a marker-flag wire might be productive. Sometimes, glue can partially block the flow.
Since it is a newer install, I would say check what Wet_Boots said. The PGV valve comes in flow and no flow.

Mjtrole
11-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Reisdential system, 1" Hunter SRV valve and 9 six inch ajustable spray heads. The water just boils out of the heads and the popups don't come all the way up. I have changed the diaphram, problem still exists. There are no visable leaks that I can see that would cause a loss of pressure. This is on a weekly mowing customer and the landscape contractor who installed the system won't even take a look for another few weeks. I just overseeded with perennial rye grass, and it needs water soon. I only do minor sprinkler repair work but this has me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

I'd screw down all the nozzles to off and see if that doesn't speed up the process of finding a leak.

Az Gardener
11-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Excuse me if I ask a stupid question but I have seen all kinds of stupid stuff. Did they pull the water supply from a Hose bib or 3/4' main line? If so may be just not enough pressure. Check the heads the little plastic screens may be full of PVC burrs not allowing enough pressure, but thinking and typing aloud the heads would still pop up just not throw much. If the valve has a flow control I would check that, close then open again. I don't know why that works but sometimes it does. Flushing heads is old school I know but it really does get you off to a good start.

Dirty Water
11-18-2006, 03:09 PM
If the filters were clogged, the head would still pop.

I'm going off the assumption that this zone at one time ran well?

bicmudpuppy
11-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Turn on the zone in question and time the meter to see how much flow.............Are you flowing more than enough for those six heads? or are you not moving enough water? When you know that answer, then you have some idea of what you are trying to fix. Is the problem supply to the zone or is the problem in the zone. Good luck

mojob
11-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Watching the meter. Now that's a good idea. I'll have to remember that trick.

EvandSeby
11-19-2006, 02:26 PM
To respond, not on hose bib , other lines have same number of heads and they have full pressure (a little too much actually, lots of overspray). All filters have been checked. The blockage in the solenoid port sounds most reasonable. Am buying a new POV valve and install the top on Monday AM . This is new construction and they are leveling the existing desert soil (sand and rocks mostly and throwing the sod on top!!!! Lots of sand finds its way into the system

SprinklerGuy
11-19-2006, 03:13 PM
If that doesn't work...call the guy who bought me out in Phoenix....you probably need a "go to" guy anyway for these types of things.

His name is Ken Wells.....602-993-7700

Good luck!

PurpHaze
11-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Check the heads the little plastic screens may be full of PVC burrs not allowing enough pressure, but thinking and typing aloud the heads would still pop up just not throw much.

I just hate when this happens. The brain and fingers are working simultaneously and one or both elements are affected. At least in me...:laugh:

Yeah... The sprinklers would still pop up as long as there is enough GPM/PSI.

We have one site that has what appears to be calcium (small wite granules) in the water. It will build up on the point where the breakup screw on a spray pop-up enters the nozzle internally. Often we can correct low flow by first turning the screw in and then backing it out fully. Some nozzles get so clogged that we just have to replace them and then all works fine.

Flushing heads is old school I know but it really does get you off to a good start.

BUT... it works. :)