PDA

View Full Version : Balancer maintenance

jcltyson
11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Gert,
Is there ever a need to lubricate (even lightly) the turning mechanism of the balancer with oil or something like WD-40 to keep things moving properly or is a simple wipe sufficient?
Thanks,

Magna-Matic
11-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Hello Jcltyson,

Do not lubricate the balancer, it is lubricated with a special grease. Read the care instructions in the manual. You can use WD-40 to clean the outside, but do not put it on the slide - WD-40 is an cleaning oil. It will clean off and break down the grease that is in the balancer.

Most important thing you can do is, push the magnet back to keep the slide covered when not in use.

You can send balancers in to us for cleaning, regrease, and recalibration. Generally if there is no re-machining necessary, this service is at no cost.

Thank you,

jcltyson
11-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Gert,
How would one know when a unit needed cleaning, regreasing, or re-calibrating or should there be a routine check-up every few years? What are you thoughts?
Thanks,

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Cool service after the sale magna matic keeping customers first.

Magna-Matic
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Hello All,

It depends on use, and how clean your shop environemnt is. If the magnetic chuck moves nice and smooth, it is functioning properly.

If the slide is siezed or moves only with extreme push or pull force, then it will require service. Or if you can feel grit in the slide as you pull/push it. The problem that occurs is that if dirt and grit settle on the slide and then it is moved back and forth with use - the grit will cut up the slide, making it sloppy. This will make the balancer less accurate.

For anyone interested here are the instructions for the balancer, care instructions are in the back.

http://www.magna-matic.com/support/prod_instructions.html

Please note, the "free" inspection/cleaning of balancers that i mentioned in my last post would only be subject to shipping costs. But generally as long as there is no machining/replacment parts we provide the inspection/clean/regrease/calibration at no cost.

Thank you,

jcltyson
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Gert,
Thanks for answering my questions concerning these products. I realize they may seem a bit trivial but I feel the sensitivity of these insterments could cause inaccurate results with just a small amount of unforseen interferance. I've used the 9000/1000 combo on a couple of sets so far and could tell so much difference. Even a new set of OEM blades were out of balance. After trimming them back into, what the MAG 1000 said was in balance I could tell a difference in the sound of the deck and most importantly the smoothness of the feel of the ZTR when the blades are engaged. The cut was great also. So far ... so good.
Being in the early stages of learning geometrics and logistics of lawn mower blade habits I feel I know enough to be dangerous. Ya gota start somewhere.
Thanks again..

Magna-Matic
11-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Hello jcltyson,

You're on the right track!!

Ironic
08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
generally speaking, how long does it take to service a balancer?
I couldn't afford to be without mine for more than a week.

Magna-Matic
08-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Hello,

We generally turn around a balancer in one day, so its just the shipping to and from. If you ship with UPS we'll recieve it in the morning, and then can ship it out in the evening the same day. Fedex and the mail, come later in the day, and do not always make it out the same day.

As long as we can get a hold of the customer with the quote, one day turn around is no problem.

Thank you,

The Grass Guy
08-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Are the balancers a little stiff the first few times after purchase ?

Magna-Matic
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Hello,

New MAG-1000's have a very accurate slide, it will not slide super fast back and forth, nor should it. The slide should move smoothly, but slowly, with a fair amount of force.

If you feel it is too difficult to move for your liking we can make an adjustment if you would like to send it in. This is generally done also at no cost.

Thank you,

jcltyson
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Gert,
I've had my Mag & balancer about a year now and I feel great about my decision to purchase. I run a Toro & Hustler. I can tell both run much smoother and cut great since I've been using the sharpener & balancer.
One question. Let me introduce this scanerio .. when balancing, and one side of a blade is just a bit heavier than the other, of course the heavy end tilts down a bit but the blade is not out of balance enough to tilt all the way down.. lets say about 4 or 5 o'clock if we were looking at the balancer as a clock. I was thinking if I moved the heavy end to the other side, say about 7 or 8 o'clock the blade would stay approximately at that position. I find the blade wants to go back to the 4 or 5 o'clock position and rest the heavy end there.

I may not be explaining this very well, however I was thinking the heavy end would remain down no matter what side of the "clock" it was put on...Thanks if you can help...

Magna-Matic
03-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Hello,

I'm sorry i didn't answer this sooner. It must have gotten by me.

One thing to keep in mind about balancing is that while a lawn mower blade looks like a RECTANGLE it is a DISC in principle. An easier to think of example is a circular saw blade. If you divide a circle and quarters, you have 4 quadrants. An out-of-balance condition can exsist in each of the quandrants. This is why the blade is not pointing directly downward. The excess of weight on that side is not all at the end of the blade, but closer to the mounting hole, and along the LONG side of the blade.

The condition you are describing can also occur when the MOUNTING HOLE is not stamped in the center of the blade. This creates an out-of-balance condition that is difficult to correct.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Thank you,