PDA

View Full Version : echo or stihl

foo569
06-21-2001, 01:19 AM
I was just wandering about your opinions on stihl and echo .what brand do you prefer , what is better quality and durability . i am debating on what to buy cause i hate redmax, they are way to overpriced.

Jonathan Kiwacz

KirbysLawn
06-21-2001, 01:22 AM
Echo or Stihl what? Red Max is not overpriced in my opinion, you get what you pay for as far as the blowers go! Echo & Stihl are toys compaired to Red Max or Shindaiwa. However I like Sthil trimmers better.

Sammy
06-21-2001, 01:24 AM
Stihl !

foo569
06-21-2001, 01:26 AM
i don't know that is just my opinion about redmax . i've used red max trimmers and did not like them that much i personally really like echo i was just wandering about the stihl trimmers and the eb7000 blower kicks butt.

KirbysLawn
06-21-2001, 01:47 AM
I like Sthil trimmers, very good. As for blowers.....all you Sthil guys (I was also) MUST try the Red Max or Shindaiwa before you yell get the BR400, I have one and it's going on the block!

Ray

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-21-2001, 03:58 AM
Only have ECHO equipment. Trimmmers and blowers. Although my father recently bought a Shindaiwa and I love it!

TJLC
06-21-2001, 05:28 AM
All I own and use is Echo, but that's not to say, it is the best out there. Iv'e just had good luck with it, so for now, that's what I will stick with. If I had to choose another brand it would be Shindawai. Mainly because that's what my dealer carries.(Shin and Echo) To me service is just as, or more impotant, than brand choice. Just my opinion.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 05:43 AM
I have run Echo for a long time they have realy taking a beating and kept on running have a Stihl 85 something don't use it to weed eat but have hedge trimmer and chain saw att. but in my area I bought a RedMax it was $30 cheaper than my Echo 2601's i had to try it

as far as blowers RedMax eb7000 can't be touched by anyone!

grassyfras
06-21-2001, 10:33 AM
i would prefer an echo if u r goign to buy and hedge trimmer but i'd say sthil pprobably makes better blowers.

scottb
06-21-2001, 12:14 PM
I have had an Echo trimmer for 12 years. I will proably buy a Stihl next but that is only because I want to do one stop shopping. My Toro Dealer carries Stihl and Husky so for that reason I will most likely purchase a stihl. Plus he is a great dealer. Look for someone you can depend on service wise and go with them.

trimmer
06-21-2001, 02:16 PM
I use both stihl and echo. I like the stihl trimmers because of the sheild and bump head. I just recently bought an echo pb-630 which is thier new blower and I am very happy with it. Starts by a least the third pull first thang in the morning and on the first pull the rest of the day. Sthils are a little harder to start than the echos. As far as duribilaty I had an echo edger for seven years. The only problem I have noticed with the echo's is the carburators get clogged and I have to rebuild them cost about 10 dollars.

JohnyNCa
06-21-2001, 06:00 PM
i have both and are about the same i think. Im running a echo srm 2100 weed trimmer which starts up on first pull and also a stihl fs80 which needs priming but has way more power than the echo. Cant go wrong with either.

Lawn Dog2001
06-21-2001, 06:21 PM
In my opinion buy Echo. I have two PB 1000 blowers that I bought when I started my business 9 years ago. Keep in mind these are Echos most affordable blower and they have been running nearly maintanence free for 9 years! I also have SRM 2400 and SRM 2100 trimmers. I have had no problems with them either. I recently bought a Stihl FS85 off of my Exmark dealer and was really disappointed. I dosent seem to have the same ammount of power as the echos and it seems to use twice as much gas. Plus the Stihl was more money. I think Echo is definitely a better buy. I have never tried any Red Max or Shindaiwa products so I have no idea how Echo would stack up to them.

mdb landscaping
06-21-2001, 06:30 PM
i have a stihl br 400 back pack, echo split shaft trimmer, and echo gas powered hedge trimmers. both are great brands and last a long time. you can get hurt either way.

buster
06-21-2001, 06:36 PM
stihl

lawnman_scott
06-21-2001, 07:29 PM
I prefer stihl, but i do have a echo trimmer that i like alot. I would consider the dealer in the equasion also, mine sells both so its not a factor, but i would hate running all around to different places.

rdh
06-21-2001, 07:43 PM
stihl is what i use .echo looks like they cant take as much abuse as
a stihl (carbs and stuff all in the open)seems like they would get tore up rolling a round in a cage or truck. stihl stuff is all enclosed. thats what i think .but i could be wrong i have never had a
echo.

foo569
06-25-2001, 11:03 AM
i would like to thank everybody for there help,i am sorry i could not reply any sooner , the internet was down

Scag48
06-25-2001, 03:58 PM
I prefer Stihl. I used an older Stihl last year for cutting some weeds that were 3-5 feet high. I think it was an FS 75, probably replaced by the FS 85. I was cutting blackberry bushes with string, not blades. It had enough power to cut through just about anything. I have a Stihl BR 320 backpack blower and it has held up great, only a year old, but it does great in parking lots and such. I'm going to buy a Stihl for my next trimmer.

BLakin01
06-25-2001, 09:28 PM
I myself prefer Stihl, for just about any accessory. Although, we do have an Echo trimmer/edger at my other job, and it has kinda grown on me. One brand I would never recommend, even if you were just doing your own yard, is Homelite. Dad went out and bought one for their yard last fall, and I swear the engine on the damn thing burnt up in about 2 months. :angry: I also like Husky.:alien:

Jim Corcoran
06-25-2001, 09:41 PM
If you want a reasonably priced trimmer,try M-Line. My dealer talked me into one and I am glad he did. It is fairly lightweight,powerful,and the cost was just over 200. This thing is easy to handle. I don't even use straps with it. It has seen some real hard use,and usually cuts better than my other supposedly better trimmers.

hobbes
06-25-2001, 11:30 PM
Echo vs. Sthil Blowers
Echo- MUCH better air filter on the 600 series than BR 400.
Sthil-BR 400's much lighter than the Echo 600's-a big plus for clean-ups
Sthil-bigger gas cap opening-a big plus after trying to fill an Echo 600 after 2 hrs. blowing leaves.
Echo-new 600's have wider blower tube, better coverage than Sthil 400's
Sthil 400's & Echo 600's-both tough & durable.
Advantage-Sthil
Trimmers
Echo's start easier.

jasonp
06-26-2001, 12:27 AM
I have had good luck with the two echo trimmers that I have and the chainsaw and the blower also. I have no sthil so I dont know about them. I see alot of people with the sthil so they have to be worth something.

K9LWT
06-26-2001, 12:43 PM
I prefer Stihl. I own the BR400 blower and the FS85 trimmer. The blower is great, plenty of power-a little more difficult to start that the shin, but if you can't start a trimmer, you're in the wrong business. The trimmer rocks, very powerful and has plenty of attachments if you want them-power broom, pole saw, roto tiller, hedge trimmer. I love the Stihl's, Huskies are pretty good too. I had two echo trimmers last year, and didn't like them.

hobbes
06-26-2001, 04:20 PM
K9LWT,
I have 3 Sthil trimmers & have problems starting all of them. 1 FS 76& 2 85's. I've done carb adjustments, taken out the spark arresting screen, changed fuel filters but they still don't start first pull warm like the Echo's. Any other suggestions?

sheppard
06-26-2001, 09:29 PM
Get a Husky! It's lighter, cheaper and more "hungry"

Sheppard

Greenkeepers
06-26-2001, 10:07 PM
We use Stihl and Echo, although we'll probably just stick with all stihl from now on.. The echo's can't hadle the abuse like the stihl. Plus echo's heads stink on the trimmers, we bought the adaptor to use stihl heads.

Holloway Lawns
06-26-2001, 11:42 PM
I have a Stihl BR400 Back pack blower got it for $80 at a fle-market and I have checked it is not reported stolen also just yesterday got a brand new Stihl FS 80R trimmer Love both of them so far.

K9LWT
06-29-2001, 10:20 AM
Hobbes,

My FS85 has never started on the first pull. I prime it, choke it, pull it, it turns over, I kill the choke and it's good to go. I am completely happy with it otherwise, and overlook the fact it won't start on the first pull. It's really not that big of a deal to me to give it an extra pull because once it's going the thing rocks.

Did you talk to your dealer about the problem? Maybe they can help-good luck.

K9LWT
06-29-2001, 10:21 AM
Sheppard,

Husky's are cheaper there than the comprable Stihl's? That is not the case up here. The Stihl's are cheaper across the board-saws, blowers, trimmers...

viproperty
07-31-2001, 01:54 AM
Echo sucks, hate to say it, wish it wasent so, because if it wasent true I wouldent have a shop wall full of dead ones.

Any one need parts?

We have sthil equipment that isn't even orange anymore, its white from 5-6 years of sun fade and still going strong. I bought 8 BR 400 blowers 4 years ago, one died last fall! 7 left. I'm happy.

Two echo trimmers bought last spring, dead just out of warranty. My dealer fixed the motor on won anyway, but the compresion was gone by the end of June. JUNK!

Sthil and Shindawa from my experience out last, out work, out live echo.

I've also notest you dont hear from meny peaple that are going from Shindawa/Sthil/and others - to Echo, It seams much more common to read people like me giving up on Echo.