PDA

View Full Version : getting any tips yet?

1MajorTom
11-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Some of our lawn customers we finished up the first week of November, I sent out their invoices. They sent in their payment, and also enclosed a tip.
Normally we don't get any tips until December rolls around, so this is early this year.
When you get a tip like that and you are already finished up their account for the season, do you then send a thank you note? Give them a call?
How do you handle your thank yous?

ProLawns
11-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I get around $1200 from my customers at Christmas. I always send them thank you notes.

mowerman90
11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
A thank you card that you've "hand written" a note of thanks inside keeps'em coming, year after year.

Josh.S
11-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Some of our lawn customers we finished up the first week of November, I sent out their invoices. They sent in their payment, and also enclosed a tip.
Normally we don't get any tips until December rolls around, so this is early this year.
When you get a tip like that and you are already finished up their account for the season, do you then send a thank you note? Give them a call?
How do you handle your thank yous?

I've never got a tip yet, and all my customers seem to be very happy with my service and really like me.... must be the area or something..

Charles
11-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I get tips right before Christmas. Never thought of thank you note. I always thought the lil tightwads just owed it to me:laugh:

robby
11-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I've never got a tip yet, and all my customers seem to be very happy with my service and really like me.... must be the area or something..
And I thought it was just me. All my years at this and I can count the number of Xmas tips on one hand. It's either an ohio thang, or the fact that I have mostly cheapo clients that despite getting charged lowball prices, they still don't see the need to feel grateful. Maybe a large price increase would bring about their Xmas spirit, lol.

Creative Lawn Care
11-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Nine years and the only tip I have ever gotten is a jar of jelly. My customers are happy and are mostly very nice people, just not giving evidently

rodfather
11-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Tips we have gotten in the past Jodi are usually cards around the Christmas Holiday with checks/prepaid store cards, etc. inside by themselves...never with the last invoice that I can remember. And it's nice when you get them since it makes you feel like you made a difference. To be perfectly honest, I divide it all up and give to my guys...they're the ones that earned it IMO.

I have never really thought about sending a thank you for their thank you...seems kind of reduntant to me.

jpp
11-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Yep got one with a payment for the Oct invoice. Kinda weird because I need to invoice for service provided for Nov. Wondering how the customer will react to that. I think they thought we were done, but they still had leaves on the trees.

JP

MOW ED
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
So far just one from a new customer. 75 bucks is a nice gesture. I always send holiday greetings and special hand written notes to the tippers.

1MajorTom
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
I have never really thought about sending a thank you for their thank you...seems kind of reduntant to me.
that's what I have thought, but I figured I would throw it out here as a question. I wouldn't want the customer to think we were being rude by not thanking 'em.

LawnTamer
11-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Tipping, is that a city in China or something? I think I've had one tip, been doing this since 1990.
I have nice clients, they sign up year after year, but no tips.:cry:

impactlandscaping
11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Tips??? A simple resign in December is sufficient

Turfdude
11-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Tips we have gotten in the past Jodi are usually cards around the Christmas Holiday with checks/prepaid store cards, etc. inside by themselves...never with the last invoice that I can remember. And it's nice when you get them since it makes you feel like you made a difference. To be perfectly honest, I divide it all up and give to my guys...they're the ones that earned it IMO.

I also just split up the tips for the employees. However, I will send a thank you note... Thank you for remembering us this holiday season. Your thoughtfulness is truely/greatly appreciated.

Its just a small acknowledgement that usually goes a long way.

Josh.S
11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
And I thought it was just me. All my years at this and I can count the number of Xmas tips on one hand. It's either an ohio thang, or the fact that I have mostly cheapo clients that despite getting charged lowball prices, they still don't see the need to feel grateful. Maybe a large price increase would bring about their Xmas spirit, lol.

yeah I guess we aren't the only ones, I've had a couple customers overpay on purpose in years past (because they saw that I was working hard and going out of my way to be nice for not much $$)... but dang... TIPS ?!?! that would be nice though.... maybe if I sent them little christmas presents or something..

procut
11-19-2006, 11:10 PM
I might get a few tips here and there, but not untill December.

This reminds me of the famous lawnsite member who wanted to send self-addressed stamped envelopes to his customers labeled "x-mas tip" lol

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-20-2006, 04:42 AM
I put a thank you letter in November's Invoice and I send a Christmas card.....I got about 4 tips last year.....

D

J&R Landscaping
11-20-2006, 12:53 PM
I've recieved a few on some clean-ups. $5 bucks here, $10 there, not a whole lot but it is the thought that counts!!!