PDA

View Full Version : swimming

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 08:15 AM
does any one swim in clients pools (when invted of course):angry:

awm
06-21-2001, 08:23 AM
got one with a place on the lake,who invites me out now and then.
file it under perks

Davis TLC
06-21-2001, 08:35 AM
No, I don't swim in the clients pool, I have one of my own to enjoy. I only have 2 clients with pools.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 08:37 AM
I'm with you on that one AWM

lawrence stone
06-21-2001, 08:46 AM
Oh I do it all the time esp. when the husband is at work.

Sorta like the old movie staring Burt Lancaster called the
"Swimmer".

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2001, 09:18 AM
40 peaple looked 4 voted
not too good for all you had too do was point and click
must be to much effert

Mid Rivers
06-21-2001, 09:51 AM
Would driving the Lazer into the lake count? I haven't done that yet but I've read where people have.:D

Toroguy
06-21-2001, 11:00 AM
Lawngodfather,
It doesnt allow me to vote?

I would decline the swimming because Im hairier than a dog. But would accept an invite to mingle around the pool.

Let me guess, your going swimming Saturday:)

Premo Services
06-21-2001, 11:19 AM
:D
Most of my customers have very nice pools, they are always saying to get into pool, because no one uses it anymore. I had declined all the time, but last year I was trimming bushes,etc. for a customer and he comes out and says, when you finish take a shower in pool house and get in the pool to cool down. It was about 99 degrees, and 100 percent humidity that day. I finished and cleaned up and went swimming. While I was swimming the customer and wife made dinner and we had a nice dinner on the deck, this is what makes it worthwile to do what we do everyday. Most of the time I tell them I have more jobs to do, but I have used their pool a few times, they are so glad when I do, so why not make them happy. :D

gogetter
06-21-2001, 11:26 AM
I delivered furniture for 14 years and had a few offers. I always said no though. Always thought it was a bit strange since I just met them and only knew them for about a half hour while I made the delivery.
At least in this biz you get to know them a bit, so I guess it doesn't seem so strange.
Haven't had the offer since in the biz, but I would still decline.

Got Grass?
06-21-2001, 03:02 PM
Only offers I've had are from a family friend who I used to swim in thier pool all the time when I was a kid.
Our neighbors but I dont do work for them.
2 other customers said "Feel free to jump in the pool when your over and cool off for a bit, of cource thats if we open the pool this year" and of cource thay havent.
Last year I had the offer to swim in this guys pool but choose not to becase he was really picky and woulda got upset if a blade of grass when in w/ me. So we all jumped in the private community lake right behind the house. The most clean lake I've seen it's a natural spring, all rock.

powerreel
06-21-2001, 04:19 PM
The way to keep clients is to become family. Eat, drink, swim, and party with them. All your professional shirts and logos don't mean a thing, if they like you- they like you and it doesn't matter if I don't look all "PRO". I am referring to res. I do spend some rec. time with my com. contacts- such as SALMON fishing and such. The closer you get to the consumer the better your long term outlook is.

"REEL"

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2001, 02:12 AM
I'm with you guy' ang gal's who do and know it helps in cust. relations

I know on thing thats good about good cust. rel. is I've had a few ex emp. go in this biz and try to get same acc. and under bid me and they where quickly declind because of my good cus. rel.

but I don't get too close so they don't become cheap A$$'s and want cheap deals on work

Lawn DOG
06-23-2001, 08:04 AM
Business is business. I do not consider swimming with my customers proffesional. It is more like charity. Do you invite the boy who bags your groceries to dinner?

bubble boy
06-23-2001, 03:51 PM
time is money. swimming with clients would lead to a closer, not needed, personal relationship. which leads to them having a twenty minute converation every week with me. which wastes time, thus wastes money.

still, you gotta really admire people and their generosity. truthfully, if i had a pool i would not extend that invite.

SJR Lawncare
06-23-2001, 04:45 PM
On Friday, I was mowing one of my clients grass & when I got to the back yard, there were 4 college girls home for the summer skinny dipping in the pool. As I was closing the gate after getting the mower through, one asked if I'd like to join them for a nude swim. I told them "no thanks, I have alot to do today, but I'll mow the grass nude". They said yes, please do. So, I finished the back lawn nude as they all continued swimming & staring at me & touching each other. Just kidding, a guy can fantasize right?

CCLC
06-23-2001, 05:11 PM
We have had many offers but I don't think any of the guys have taken them up on the offers. At least I don't think they have. We have even had customers offer their jetski's "any time you want." My employees were instructed under no circumstances were they every to be on those jetskis, on or off the clock.

smburgess
06-23-2001, 06:40 PM
Sorry, I'm in business - it's not professional nor is it business like. I don't want a personal relationship with my clients, I want a professional one built on my knowledge, skills, and that of my crews. That is how to keep your clients, not being their buddy.

Fantasy Lawns
06-23-2001, 06:43 PM
I don't think so ..... my guys would be bring rubber rafts to work ... but a garden hose welcome :->

TurfGuyTX
09-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Thought it was time to re-visit this one. I did swim in some customers pools when I was in school. I haven't done it since. I like to stay busy enough not to be tempted now.

Rhett
09-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Oh ya' swim away with that attrative green and brown slick around me while slowly sipping on a pina colada. By the end of the day I look like a prune. Has been a slow year and that is the way I fill my hours.:)

Floridalandcare
09-02-2002, 11:04 AM
We wouldnt even think about it ,but have been invited . Not very professional.

Brickman
09-02-2002, 11:54 AM
None of my customers had a pool. So it wasn't a problem here.

mowngrow
09-02-2002, 03:40 PM
have never gone swimming in aclients pool but i have been invited several times. i either swim at home or at my mechanics house

rodfather
09-02-2002, 04:22 PM
I've had a couple of my guys over the years jump in for a minute or so, LGF...just to cool down caused the heat index was probabaly like 110 or so.

Personally, I have had a few open invites. I only took them on a couple of times when I knew the client wasn't home. And I only went in for a minute or so.

Like AWM, I file it under "bennies".:cool:

outrunjason
09-02-2002, 07:55 PM
It is not proffesional to swim in a customers pool. BUT, one of my customers is never home and I have jumped in for a short time. Never been caught. If I was caught I think they would understand cause it is really hot here in Texas.

Jason

bob
09-02-2002, 10:26 PM
None of my customers have pools. I'd probably turn them down if someone offered.

Doogiegh
09-02-2002, 11:10 PM
I have a couple customers who have pools, but never got invited or offered to go into it.

And in thinking this over, I think even if they did offer, I'd turn them down.

I prefer to do the job, pay me for my services, and be on my way, hot as heck or not. I will borrow, many times without asking, a garden hose, but heck, that is only water for all of 2 minutes to wash down my arms to cool down a little bit. But it's back to work afterwards.

What do you guys do, go in the pool in your work clothes? or always bring a bathing suit with you, "just in case"?

I'm usually too covered in small debris pieces of grass, etc to go right into a pool, I'd turn the pool green. And to take a shower first?!? That'd just be silly..

And then when done, to hop in the truck soaking wet? Nah..

Not for me.

Gary

thfireman
09-05-2002, 10:50 PM
No, I personally do not think it is a good business practice. Tempting but No!:(

TurfGuyTX
09-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Would falling in count? I watched a guy trimming fall in once.

Brickman
09-06-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by TurfGuyTX
Would falling in count? I watched a guy trimming fall in once.

It just so happened that he fell in the middle of a bunch of girls swiming too I bet. :D :D

smburgess
09-06-2002, 07:12 AM
The last couple of posts reminded me a time one of my crew was blowing off and stepped backward into the pool. Luckly he was in the shallow end!

TJLC
09-06-2002, 08:11 AM
Most of my customers have pools and have told me to jump in and cool off. I thank them, but decline. I have my own pool at home and it's the first place I go when I get there. Some of my customers are also friends, which can be a good or bad thing. I prefer to keep things on a more professional level.