PDA

View Full Version : john deere 717A

Jeff Voorhies
11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
What do you think of the blade bearing system on the 717A as a comparison to the scag (timken bearings) and the exmark double machine bearings? Do you think the john deere system would hold up as well as the other two?

QualityLawnCare4u
11-19-2006, 05:12 PM
The 717 was one of the best mowers I ever owned and now have a 737. However, I will never own another one because of the AWFUL dealers we have here. Called 4 last week for a price, the one I purchased 3 mowers from was "too busy" to talk with me and never called back, second one was rude because I did not buy my other 3 mowers from them, the last 2 acted like they were doing me a favor even talking to me and last one told me they were not into the mowers to much just tractors. Basic uncaring dont care if we sell you anything or not.

Flex-Deck
11-19-2006, 05:21 PM
What do you think of the blade bearing system on the 717A as a comparison to the scag (timken bearings) and the exmark double machine bearings? Do you think the john deere system would hold up as well as the other two?

I have a 595 & 495 with the greasable spindles, and I kept the old style 60" decks I had under the former 455's I traded in, so these decks have around 3000 hrs or more on them. They have greasable spindles and basic ball bearing construction, and I have never replaced a bearing yet. I run doubles all the time also. Thanks Brad PS. I give each spindle 5 pumps of Rykotac grease (by chevron)

Roger
11-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I bought a JD 717A in May this season. The maintenance instructions say to grease the spindles every 25 hours of service. But, it does not say how much to grease them.

Flex-Deck, you say 5 pumps. Is this every 25 hours? Or, more frequent? Is you gun a pistol action, or a side-handle pumper? I had a side-handle, until this season, when I switched to a pistol. I believe the pistol produces considerably less grease per pump than the side-handle one.

What about others with a 7 Iron II deck? How many pumps of grease every 25 hours of service?

In general, greasing instructions for equipment are very poorly stated. Often, "daily" or "weekly" is the instruction, without regard to hours of service, and how much grease to use. Manufacturers need to do a better job on this matter.

robbo521
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
i have the 717A,but have not got to cut with it much due to rain and being sick.

Flex-Deck
11-19-2006, 06:05 PM
I bought a JD 717A in May this season. The maintenance instructions say to grease the spindles every 25 hours of service. But, it does not say how much to grease them.

Flex-Deck, you say 5 pumps. Is this every 25 hours? Or, more frequent? Is you gun a pistol action, or a side-handle pumper? I had a side-handle, until this season, when I switched to a pistol. I believe the pistol produces considerably less grease per pump than the side-handle one.

What about others with a 7 Iron II deck? How many pumps of grease every 25 hours of service?

In general, greasing instructions for equipment are very poorly stated. Often, "daily" or "weekly" is the instruction, without regard to hours of service, and how much grease to use. Manufacturers need to do a better job on this matter.

About every 25 hrs is when I give the spindles the grease. Sorry - I meant to qualify that. It is a pistol grip

DLCS
11-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I give all my 7 Iron decks 3 pumps per spindle once a week. I haven't had to change a spindle yet due to dry or bad bearing.

S man
11-19-2006, 08:21 PM
This is interesting because I went to a dealer far from I live and saw the 717 and a tiger cub. The guy talking to me said the scag had the best bearings and was the best over the deere. And this guy is a DEERE dealer. I still liked the deere over scag even when he said to get the scag. I was dreaming though because I couldn't get one.

derekarbeiter
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
The John Deere 717A is a great mower. Very reliable, kaw is great, 7-Iron II deck is the best despite what you may hear on this site. All in all wonderful machines.

mag360
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
This is interesting because I went to a dealer far from I live and saw the 717 and a tiger cub. The guy talking to me said the scag had the best bearings and was the best over the deere. And this guy is a DEERE dealer. I still liked the deere over scag even when he said to get the scag. I was dreaming though because I couldn't get one.

On paper the scag technically has the better spindle bearings but if the JD's are holding up (ours did) then they are functionally just as good.

S man
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a deere dealer 10 miles away. Is it worth buying over a exmark or scag??

derekarbeiter
03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Yes, I think it would be worth it to buy a Deere over a scag or exmark. All are good mowers, but lets face it, Deere has better parts support. You wont be disapointed with either, but Deere has just changed its design and you could benifit from that. The new models have cast iron caster wheel holders and forks which can also be replaced now. They also feature run-flat tires which are a must have. The 7-Iron deck has a new reinforcement similar to other manufactures. All have vertical shaft kawasaki engines (THE BEST) instead of horizontal shafts to minimize parts and all have a single piece hydraulic system to minimize leak points. More comfort and convience is also adressed in these new mowers.

S man
03-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Yes, I think it would be worth it to buy a Deere over a scag or exmark. All are good mowers, but lets face it, Deere has better parts support. You wont be disapointed with either, but Deere has just changed its design and you could benifit from that. The new models have cast iron caster wheel holders and forks which can also be replaced now. They also feature run-flat tires which are a must have. The 7-Iron deck has a new reinforcement similar to other manufactures. All have vertical shaft kawasaki engines (THE BEST) instead of horizontal shafts to minimize parts and all have a single piece hydraulic system to minimize leak points. More comfort and convience is also adressed in these new mowers.

Has the 717a been changed or just the bigger models? The only downside to the deere is that it weighs more and costs more. I can get a exmark lazer hp for $6000 on promo which will be around until fall or sometime then. I think the deere costs $7500. The toro z4500 with a kawasaki 23hp costs that much and weighs less. I really have my eye on that lazer hp. Check my signature.:)

Paulup
03-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Has the 717a been changed or just the bigger models? The only downside to the deere is that it weighs more and costs more. I can get a exmark lazer hp for $6000 on promo which will be around until fall or sometime then. I think the deere costs $7500. The toro z4500 with a kawasaki 23hp costs that much and weighs less. I really have my eye on that lazer hp. Check my signature.:)

Bought my 2007 717A last week for 6k, 0% financing for 3 years. Its a promotion to get rid of the '07s they have left in stock. Get in on it while you can if you really want that 717.

derekarbeiter
03-30-2008, 10:50 AM
The complete 700 series is being replaced by the 800 series. That means that the 717As and any other models that a dealer might have is it. I think that the new 800 series is a little more expensive. Just go with whatever you like best.:)