PDA

View Full Version : Grave Yard Bid

meets1
11-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Looking at bidding one - the previous guys was the janitor - took 4-5 hours mow time once / week. 4-5 hour trim time once / month.

All with a 48 inch deck.

Any ideas?

LindblomRJ
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
How big is the cemetary? Remeber there is a lot of trimming to be done the memorials. Let that figure into your bid. Is once a month enough for trimming? Seems the big push is right before memoral day.

robbo521
11-19-2006, 09:07 PM
i do my churches grave yard and its about 4 acres.it did take me about 4 hrs to cut with old 42'' rider,now with the 48''ztrack i can do it in 2 maybe faster when i learn the mower.the trim is no big deal because they get me the round-up and spray the fence and the markers so maybe 10min trim.this being my church and stuff i do it for $150.00 each cut.they told me to cut it like my yard so sometimes it is twice a week.i have been doing it for 5yrs.it has about 175 to 200 markers.

dwlah
11-19-2006, 11:06 PM
I spend about 3-4 hrs total to mow our cemetary with the ztr
About 4.5 ac and 200 or so markers
used to take twice that with a 42" lawn tractor
Check with the cemetary committee about rules for placing flowers and such
Ive got a meeting with our committee in a couple of weeks so everybody can get on the same page about what is expected from me the committee and the visitors(this is a good thing)
Since it is our church cemetary I just charge for a basic mow trim and blow and do the extra stuff(spring/fall cleanup filling in low spots etc) for no charge

robbo521
11-20-2006, 12:36 AM
yes it does help to know what they want.i am on the cemetary committee with 3 others.they are way older than me and they seem to like the rules and stuff me and the wife drew up.

dwlah
11-20-2006, 09:10 AM
yes it does help to know what they want.i am on the cemetary committee with 3 others.they are way older than me and they seem to like the rules and stuff me and the wife drew up.
Today 12:06 AM

Im not on the committee dont want to have an apperance of a conflict of intrest
Not that anybody would care
The youngest guy on ours is 71 and I mow two of thier houses now
They havent had any rules written down about anything but they want to so some of the visitors will quit putting decorations all over the place
If I can get this one rule and start enforcing it it should save me 20-30 min per cut not having to stop every 50 ft to go around them
Oh yeah
Thanks robbo 521
Your help in a past thread on the rules has really helped:clapping:

meets1
11-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Markers are laid out throughout the area. Nothing is straight - at least the old part. Flowers, ect have to be picked up and other debris that people may leave within 5 days after placing.

IT is a catholic cemetary - they have built on to church and janitor is getting to busy to mow that plus the church and school. They are putting this out to bids so just curious what price is fair. I woule like the account but not to loss any money.

I was think $150 - $180 / mow. They are straight forward with trim / month unless they ask otherwise and then I charge for that extra tirm job. Trimming I was thinking about the same price level.

Yes or NO

robbo521
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
sounds good to me,i would.ours is layed out like a dogs leg!part of ours is a slave and old war and new ones.i am lucky if 6 are in one line.

LwnmwrMan22
11-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Markers are laid out throughout the area. Nothing is straight - at least the old part. Flowers, ect have to be picked up and other debris that people may leave within 5 days after placing.

IT is a catholic cemetary - they have built on to church and janitor is getting to busy to mow that plus the church and school. They are putting this out to bids so just curious what price is fair. I woule like the account but not to loss any money.

I was think $150 - $180 / mow. They are straight forward with trim / month unless they ask otherwise and then I charge for that extra tirm job. Trimming I was thinking about the same price level.

Yes or NO

Meets -

I used to do one about 10 years ago now, pushed out about 4 acres, probably about 300 headstones.

With 4 guys we could knock it out in under 2 hours, but that's still 8 man hours.

That was with a 60" Toro, and a 52" Toro walkbehind, using the walkbehind to go around all the headstones, and the 60" doing the rows in between.

You can probably get done a little faster with another Z instead of that walkbehind.

Was the janitor using a "Z" or a garden tractor to mow?? That's a HUGE difference with all that mowing.

Also, since you've got your spraying license, get some Primo Maxx or Embark and just get that trimming down to 3 times / year.

dwlah
11-21-2006, 09:29 AM
The price sounds like its in the neighborhood

Most of the LCOs around here have gotten to the point a lot of them dont do cemetaries (the cemetaries have a tendancy to be hard on the equipment) but I like them
Just remember that rock in the middle of the row may not be just a rock
and roundup is your friend:)

meets1
11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Previous guy was using a 525 JD mower. I was our 2 Z's. Thanks!