PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts on this mower?

windsory
11-19-2006, 09:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Scag-Belt-Drive-Lawn-Mower-Good-Condition-17-HP_W0QQitemZ170051547289QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
im llokin into buying this mower for about 12 1/2 to 1 acre acocunts for next season, any thoughts would be appreciated

im still in high school and have had less than 7 accounts for the past 3 years. im looking to expand to at least 12 for next season, i have been using redmax trimmer, blower and edger but am looking into a commercial mower because i think 12 accounts is a little much for the ol' tractor.

i cant drive but tow all my stuff around in a homemade 6 ft trailer attached to the tractor. its prettty sad lookin. if i buy a walk-behind im either gonna fabricate some kind of hitch for the velke or tow that behind the trailer and have some tandem action goin on.

the tractor, surprsingly, stripes pretty well as I have mastered the whole stop-turn-back-up-turn deal

thanks a lot

nobagger
11-19-2006, 09:13 PM
If you can hold off until this coming season, we are probably selling our 48" Toro Proline. Its in A LOT better shape than that thing. Honestly it looks rough, I wouldn't give him 899.00 for it, maybe 500.00 but thats it! Our Toro Has a BRAND NEW 5 spd transmission and is very very clean, it only looks like its a year or two old. I bought it used from a friend of mine who got out of the business and he only used it 1 day a week for about 4 hours a day. I would want around 1k for it.

LindblomRJ
11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
For the price it would be okay. However you might be avantaged put your money into a savings account and collect a bit of interest on it. Then make your equipment purchase in the spring. Middle of February or March then get ready for the season.

windsory
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
For the price it would be okay. However you might be avantaged put your money into a savings account and collect a bit of interest on it. Then make your equipment purchase in the spring. Middle of February or March then get ready for the season.

i was thinking that, as the moneys been in a savings acct for a year or so, but i figured that mower prices would be lower at this time than in the spring when everyone's preparing for the season

mike lane lawn care
11-19-2006, 10:19 PM
i wouldn't use the WB to tow, you'll kill it. you can use the tractor, and just either buy or make a larger trailer with ramps. but be careful with the weight that you tow with the tractor, if you burn up a belt, it's very heavy to push back to the garage.

Tagg
11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
It's Best to leave a Beltdrive unit where it's at. I'm partial to Scag but I would go with another type of control instead of pistol grips.:walking:

IRRITECH
11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I have always bought my equipment used and saved money. For the price that is not a bad deal...But the auction still has days and the price willgo up alot. Keep wathcing E-bay and your local classifieds throughout the winter. Many guys will decide in the coming months that lawn mowing is not for them and will be trying to unload their equipment. Don't jump at the first thing you see. Good luck w the whole towing thing, and see what NoBager has to offer.

J&R Landscaping
11-19-2006, 10:49 PM
It don't look to bad. I would go look at it before you bid. Find out how it runs and if the deck has any noise.

Looking at it, I'd say its worth $899. I am not a fan of belt drive mowers though, but since your starting out, it would be good for your situation.

Idealtim
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't pay a dollar over $700.00 so you know what my take on it is.

mowerman90
11-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Let's not sugar coat it guys, lets tell it like it is. That thing has 5 seasons on it and it looks like they've been rough seasons at that. Save your money and buy something new but inexpensive, like a Quick 36 for a little over $2K

LawnInOrder
11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
i wouldn't use the WB to tow, you'll kill it. you can use the tractor, and just either buy or make a larger trailer with ramps. but be careful with the weight that you tow with the tractor, if you burn up a belt, it's very heavy to push back to the garage.

when my friend and i were in business together he towed his 36" belt driven scag on a 4x6 trailer behind a 2002 lt-200 and i towed my exmark viking behind my golf cart. It was pulling at the max. We disconnected the brake, so when u pushed in the clutch/brake u could shift the tractor liek a manual car. It really help when towing. I took over the business a while ago and i have the craftmans tractor for sale if anyone is interested.Just Pm me for more details. LawnInOrder