PDA

View Full Version : hunter Pro C controller

the rainman
11-20-2006, 01:07 AM
I have been having problems with the #1 slot on the controller.
I have seen this particular problem 3 times
Once on a repair, and twice on systems that i have installed.
the system works fine when i go through the final walk through and adjustments, but a few weeks to a month later, the #1 station Quits working.
the master valve doesn't come on with the #1 station, at first i thought just wireing problems, or cloged valves, but the #1 wire works on any of the other slots.
Question: has anyone had this problem with this particular controller, or am I maybe wiring the system incorrectly?

:hammerhead:

YardPro
11-20-2006, 07:32 AM
are you plugging the faceplate in with the power hooked up?
or are you plugging in the expansion modules while the unit has power???

i install only Pro-c's and have never had this problem.

Did have a tree frog get into one of the units and get fried on the board up where the expansion modules plug in...
the unit was constantly keeping the MV terminal hot.

paolaken
11-20-2006, 07:20 PM
same problem here. had about 6 so far. zone 1 and zone 6 didn't work on a couple.

PurpHaze
11-20-2006, 08:10 PM
same problem here. had about 6 so far. zone 1 and zone 6 didn't work on a couple.

Six tree frogs or six Pro-Cs not working???

If it's the tree frogs maybe someone should invent a pea gravel trap for them. LAs seem to think pea gravel will keep gophers out of valve boxes so I guess it would work for tree frogs. (At least in their minds.) :laugh:

Wet_Boots
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Too bad nobody has a property with 100 percent pea gravel instead of soil - dern gophers would never come near!

PurpHaze
11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm a charter member of the PGHA... Pea Gravel Haters Association. Put pea gravel down, block the valve box ends and bottoms with plastic, do whatever you want and the gophers will still dig through it all. It's just a PITA when you have to dig the valve up.

And AFAIC... bricks under the corners of valve boxes tell me someone doesn't know how to compact soil around boxes adequately to keep them from sinking. It's a telltale sign... just like finding Teflon on Marlex fittings.

Dirty Water
11-20-2006, 09:13 PM
No bricks here hayes, though I will use some pipe scraps to block up the holes in the box.

They usually stay empty of dirt for at least 10 years, judging by the systems we've installed that I've serviced later.

Hank Reardon
11-21-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm a charter member of the PGHA... Pea Gravel Haters Association. Put pea gravel down, block the valve box ends and bottoms with plastic, do whatever you want and the gophers will still dig through it all. It's just a PITA when you have to dig the valve up.

And AFAIC... bricks under the corners of valve boxes tell me someone doesn't know how to compact soil around boxes adequately to keep them from sinking. It's a telltale sign... just like finding Teflon on Marlex fittings.

I'm a member of PPGM (Progressive Pea Gravel Movement) and our mission is to change how the world views pea gravel in valve box installations. Actually, I started laying a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth in the bottom of the hole prior to installing the box then dumping in a couple of inches of PG. No moles, no gophers, and takes only a few minutes.

Wet_Boots
11-21-2006, 09:01 AM
It would take some tedious cutting work to fit hardware cloth to prevent mouse and chipmunk entry.

Hank Reardon
11-21-2006, 09:12 AM
It goes quick. I leave it a long enough to wrap up the sides a little to cover the pipe cut outs.

This is your valve box on wire mesh :)...this is your valve box without...:cry:

It's amazing how much havoc the little bstards can create. I opened a couple of standards this year (pre-mesh) to access the BF and QC only to find the box filled to the top with soil. That sure makes winterization fun!

Wet_Boots
11-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Not for my convoluted poly pipe system valve manifolds, where I specifically leave a gap above the pipe, to allow for movement of the box, in case some idiot drives a truck over it. I would have to be bending numerous snipped hardware-cloth wires away from the pipe.

jerryrwm
11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
One thing I'm not missing up here in the midwest is openning a valve box only to find it filled with dirt, and then as you dig around suddenly seeing those damn fire-ants swarming. Really makes one re-evaluate one's choice of professions.

PurpHaze
11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Hell... If I had to resort to pea gravel and hardware cloth to keep critters out then may as well install the valves above ground like I see in some of the "horror pictures" posted from time to time. :)

Wet_Boots
11-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah! Bring back brass valves and galvanized pipe! Take that, you pesky rodents!

PurpHaze
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Boots... stick it! :laugh:

Wet_Boots
11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
I think I'd be happy if they invented horrible-tasting-to-chipmunks solenoid wire insulation. Stupid things almost always chew it off right where it joins with the solenoid, making a repair splice impossible.

PurpHaze
11-21-2006, 11:50 AM
I've noticed that Irritrol has increased the thickness of its wire/insulation on solenoids... at least on the Century Plus.

BSME
11-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I think I'd be happy if they invented horrible-tasting-to-chipmunks solenoid wire insulation. Stupid things almost always chew it off right where it joins with the solenoid, making a repair splice impossible.

i hear moth balls work

irrigation man
11-21-2006, 01:29 PM
check the date code hunter has had a few problems with late 04 and early 05 clocks,mostly if u unplug them for the winter months up here in the northeast

paolaken
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Six tree frogs or six Pro-Cs not working???

If it's the tree frogs maybe someone should invent a pea gravel trap for them. LAs seem to think pea gravel will keep gophers out of valve boxes so I guess it would work for tree frogs. (At least in their minds.) :laugh:
pro c's, lol not much of a tree frog problem here in kansas. and they were from 04 and 05 date codes.

PurpHaze
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
pro c's, lol not much of a tree frog problem here in kansas.

Oops... my bad!!! Forgot that Kansas doesn't have trees. :laugh:

paolaken
11-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Oops... my bad!!! Forgot that Kansas doesn't have trees. :laugh:
ah, but you would be wrong then.lol. i am in eastern kansas, on the missouri boarder, lots of trees here. now, 50 miles west is a different story.

YardPro
11-23-2006, 11:49 AM
no kidding about the trees...

we used to ski at vail every year when we were in college (had a friend who worked the lifts there).
we could never afford to fly, so we always drove. I70 through kansas is a killer..... lots of nothing once you pass kansas city

PurpHaze
11-23-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm just giving you a hard time about Kansas. Only thing I know about it is from the TV series Jerico and I know that is just make believe.:laugh:

That and Dorothy and Toto.:)

paolaken
11-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm just giving you a hard time about Kansas. Only thing I know about it is from the TV series Jerico and I know that is just make believe.:laugh:

That and Dorothy and Toto.:)
don't worry about the hard time. jerico seems to have alot of trees in the show but i think it is out west. out west when the wind doesn't blow it sucks.lol, havn't run into dorothy or toto in awhile. still looking for that damn yellow brick road.