STONE SCAPES
11-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Computer Sim

STONE SCAPES
11-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Did With Left Overs Form Bigger Job And One Pallet Of Copthorn

STONE SCAPES
11-20-2006, 01:40 AM
FENCE IS ANCHORED BY AB WALL BLOCK 2 PALLETS 1 LEFT OVER FROM ANOTHER JOB:drinkup:

STONE SCAPES
11-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Let Me Know What You Think Please.

apowell18
11-20-2006, 02:11 AM
I like it...well done...i'll need to post mine after next year...my yard looks like your before pics...

YardPro
11-20-2006, 07:24 AM
i think that the workmanship looks great, but i do NOT like the curves.

the end by the tree and fence look fine, but the part that ends to the right of the steps looks wierd to me..

I am really anal about having smooth large radius swooping lines..

just a matter of personal taste.

STONE SCAPES
11-20-2006, 08:21 AM
customer wanted a lot of plating space they have a green tumb. did their own planting.:waving:

DVS Hardscaper
11-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I am sorry, but I am not impressed.

First of all, the old, ugly deck should have been removed, and a raised patio could have replaced the deck with a ground level patio to follow. (see pic below)

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Windsong/Patio-Steps-Frederick-lg.jpg

I'm a firm believer in using radiuses, as they give a pavement a much warmer, inviting appearance.

But....to do so, radiuses need to be done tactfully.

Kinda like outdoor lighting. The last thing you do with outdoor lighting is line a driveway with path lights on both sides, it'll look like a runway. So the trick is to uplight trees that are lining the driveway, or if no trees exist - then a professional, competent lighting contractor will explain to the client why not to line with pathlights, and why they should plant trees lining the drive and UPLIGHT the trees, this way the lighting is actually doing somthing other than just lighting the way.

Same concept goes for pavement architecture.

Like I said, we try to make all our job radiused in some form. And I'll ladd what I call "pockets". But I don't overdo it with pockets. Maybe 1 or 2 on a 600 SF job. The pockets allow for planting perennials, and / or ornamental trees. But - you can't just plop a pocket anywhere, as you need to plan for seating and actual function of the pavement.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/patios%201/Brick-Patio-Frederick-lg.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

STONE SCAPES
11-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I did recommend that the deck come out. but like i said small budget!! The home owner cleaned and painted the deck. sorry the customer dint't have enough money to impress you. only can stretch the buck so far. job was done for only $3800.:dizzy:

YardPro
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
i agree with dvs.

I don't think it was the budget as much as a design issue.

I don't like lines that look like squiggles. A sweeping flowing radius could have been done that would have been much more appealing.

Again, i am not bashing, just stating my opinion from a design from a design standpoint.
see how the curves in DVS's pics flow... that's what i am refering to

DUSTYCEDAR
11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
way to get a job out of a small budget and use up leftovers u had

YardPro
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
here is what i am talking about

DVS Hardscaper
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I did recommend that the deck come out. but like i said small budget!! The home owner cleaned and painted the deck. sorry the customer dint't have enough money to impress you. only can stretch the buck so far. job was done for only $3800.:dizzy:

yes, but your opening post to this thread is in regards to how well you alledgedly made use of the space. When in reality, you didn't :)

The paver installation does look good though, you're on the right track :dancing:

bigviclbi
11-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Definately agree with the statement about long sweeping curves being the best. I hate when it looks too "busy".

kris
11-20-2006, 08:28 PM
You asked for opinions and on this site you wont get sugarcoated replies.

The work looks like someone that is just learning did it..at best. Your curves are all wrong and the use of your rocks along the border look very unnatural. We don't know if you installed it properly because you didnt post any pics of your prep.

Tell us the steps you took installing this.

nobagger
11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Definately agree with the statement about long sweeping curves being the best. I hate when it looks too "busy".
Its a definete improvement but like bigvic said, "a little too busy" with all the curves. It might be me but I like simple, suttle curves and not too many of them. Just my .02 cents, good job on the brick work, need to fine tune the design work.

STONE SCAPES
11-21-2006, 06:55 AM
points well taken. i will use them to improve the next design.all that really matters is the customer loved it. thats who we work for anyway. thaks for all the repleys.

YardPro
11-21-2006, 07:11 AM
stone scapes.

remember not to take these responces personally.

the workmanship looks good, bond line were not jacked up, cuts looked good, pavers straight (no wavy base).

all the responses are about the design, not the workmanship, and design is all a matter of personal taste.

STONE SCAPES
11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
guy would like to here form you on another post [THEY SHOULD ALL BE THIS EZ] to diferant jobs on their. input always welcome.:cool2:

hortiscape
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
No disrespect, but the advise about pockets and curves is good advice.
I agree your curves are all over the place, they need to more gradual, and more equal, like gradual radius, not deflated balloon.
Use your curves in a more gradual manner.
I just want to mention if you post your work for critique, you must be open to suggestion from more experienced people. Like I always say ther is always a better way to do things, and different perspectives can be used to your advantage.
Nice work, keep it up.

DVS Hardscaper
11-22-2006, 07:57 AM
And really building a patio with a few curves is NOT maximizing use of difficult spaces. If anything, radiuses eat up useable square footage.

What defines how well maximum use is achieved - is how functional the patio is for the client.

STONE SCAPES
11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
And really building a patio with a few curves is NOT maximizing use of difficult spaces. If anything, radiuses eat up useable square footage.

What defines how well maximum use is achieved - is how functional the patio is for the client.

I agree with you. The customer wanted to have two things. A clean place entertain and wanted a lot of different areas to put planting.

As for the curves. After some critiquing i agree we could have round some of the curves more. That's the point of this forum is to improve the work we do.

But with that all said I still like it.