PDA

View Full Version : Best leaf loader out there is...

nobagger
11-20-2006, 07:52 AM
I am in the market for a leaf loader next year, I only have 2 more clean ups to do so there is no point in buying one now. Like I said in an earlier post, I am using a friend of mine and he is running a 13hp Honda Billy Goat. It would occationally plug but usually with a swift jerk of the hose it would free itself up. I was looking into a Billy Goat with a 18hp Briggs (possibly). I don't have a lot of experience with loaders so I was hoping the guys who do would fill me in. If I get the 18hp is there less chance of plugging or just getting bigger plugs? Thanks in advance.

seacoastlandscape
11-20-2006, 08:28 AM
bigger the better! I just upgraded from an 11hp billy goat to a 16 giant vac skid mount. It is certainly a noticeable difference especially with wet leaves. Haven't had any bad clogs compared to the 11 but the seasons not over. My opinion go with at least 20 hp. The difference is amazing 10 to a 12 inch tube and man will it suck some leaves.

GLADULANDSCPING
11-20-2006, 08:51 AM
No need for a second man, blow it right to the hose, and machne sux it up better than any i ever had!! It has so much power, i thought i would blow a hole in my crappy leaf box!!

Prestige-Lawncare
11-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Ballpark figure ... what does the Giant Vac sell for?

GLADULANDSCPING
11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
6000 bux, well worth the money. it is a tow behind.

Dnemo
11-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Parker makes a 24hp Honda GX powered unit that you can mount on a tailgate or buy a optional hitch mount attachment. It retails for around $4500. Parker makes some of the best equipment out there.

crzymow
11-20-2006, 09:08 PM
id like a tow behind just for the ease of unhooking it. although with my tailgait mount, i can easily back up a driveway and get leave from a back yard without hauling to the curb.

AL Inc
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Keep your eyes open for used machines. I bought my Giant Vac tow-behind in 1999 for $2,900 from a guy who was going out of business. The thing was practically new, with a 20 hp Kohler. There are times when even this machine will clog, especially with wet leaves and lots of sticks. It is usually right at the intake, right in front of the impeller. Usually if you shake the tube, it will free itself, there have been a few times where we had to take the tube off. I would say if you are going the truck mounted route, go with at least the 16, the 18 would be better. But unless you are running some of the larger, municipal type loaders that some guys here have, you have to keep an eye on what you are feeding in. The biggest problem we have had is fires, last year the guys melted the battery cables pretty good, and this year I noticed the battery is melted a bit:hammerhead: Got to make sure you keep loader clean as you are working.

nobagger
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Well the Parker was a little too exspensive for us,(well over 4k) I also was looking at a Billy Goat with a 18hp Briggs. The price my dealer told me was high 2's to low 3's, but I wouldn't mind finding a nice used one for half the price I have a long time to look.

Uranus
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I bought the little wonder 22hp kohler leaf loader this year and oh my god. If you put you foot next to it, it takes all you have to free yourself from the suction. Never clogs, except when sucking up leaves with alot of sticks in the pile. I mounted mine on my trailer just behind the cage. It goes up and over the cage and into the truck. $4600. plus tax. 12 inch tubes in and out. Great machine, 25 hp giant vac is also a good machine too.

scaper27
11-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Giant Vac with the 16 Twin on it is great. It cost about $3500 with the hitch swing mount in 2001

SKAPES
08-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Pulling an enclosed trailer and a leaf vac together would be nice!

grassgirl4
08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree about the enclosed trailer/loader thing.

Is it possible to mount a loader between the truck and enclosed trailer? Is there enough room for it when you consider having to make turns while driving? Also, would it create too much tongue weight on the hitch? Those were concerns that led me to back off doing that with my truck/enclosed trailer...

Has anyone done this? What has been the result? Is there a better way?

grassgirl4
08-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Still wondering about this...

...that is, my previous post in this thread :)

deereequipment
08-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I have a LESCO 16hp loader.
Mine is mounted on the tongue of my open trailer.
It stays there, and is out of the way of anything I load on my trailer.
THen, all I do is turn the chute around, and blow into my stake body.
It is a tight fit, and I had to install and electric jack, because there wasn't enough room to crank the OEM jack.

My set up works great.

So basically, you need to measure the blower, and measure your trailer's tongue. It might work.

mowingtowing
08-25-2007, 09:20 AM
there is a landscape company in this area selling a 20 hp giant vac trailered leav vac for under $3000.

grassgirl4
08-25-2007, 01:07 PM
deereequipment, have you had any problems with the setup when making turns in your truck...like the back of the truck bumping into the loader? Also, do you have any pics you can post? That would be beneficial...and then my dad could see your setup, too...

Thx :)

nobagger
08-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Still wondering about this...

...that is, my previous post in this thread :)

Thats a lot of tongue weight if you want my opinion. Wow this was an old post, glad to see people using the search button,lol. We finally decided on a Billygoat 13hp (Honda). We are mounting this onto the front of the truck. My carrier will fit into my plow frame and loaded into our box through the front, A friend on mine has kinda the same set up, I'll get some pics as soon as its completed (September'ish)

grassgirl4
08-26-2007, 12:41 AM
That would be great to see!!

Yah, I was wondering about the tongue weight. I used to drive my 60" ztr all the way to the front of the trailer for transport but discovered that all that weight bent my hitch receiver downward!! Needless to say, I now park the z over the trailer wheels... I know the leaf loader isn't nearly as heavy, but it's still a lot of weight on that tongue.

Looking forward to seeing those pics...:)

gocards
09-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey grassgirl4!

Here is a picture of what we used earlier this year for spring cleanup. Absolutely no problems with tongue weight. And not one problem with turning. It's mounted high and away from the controls/hydraulics box so it's just above the tailgate when turning. Works great!

SKAPES
09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Well thats a really good setup!

jsaunders
09-09-2007, 11:21 PM
The biggest one you can afford. Mine is a 23 hp billygoat. BUT it still can get clogged- only when the leafs are real wet.

Total Lawncare Solutions
09-09-2007, 11:40 PM
A Minimum of 25 horses are required for these units.:nono:

On an unrelated subject, I have seen 5hp and 8hp Chipper/Vacs so anything is possible if you have allot of free time.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
09-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm certain I could be considered biased but don't forget our new DL Series. It comes 18 and 25 hp. http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=55 It's quieter any competitor, reduces debris more effectively than competitors, has a clear hose so you can see what's going on, has a hand cranked directional discharge so you don't have to get up on the unit it adjust it, has a storage location for the hose for transport, and it simply "sucks" more than competitors.

Normally "sucking" not a good thing when describing a product. However, when it comes to truckloaders it's key to avoiding clogs and making you more money.

yardmanlee
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
does everyone still have the ones they posted on here ?