PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Is Stepping Up!

Blessed 1
11-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I see that Exmark has quit using to 31 Hp Vanguard and went to a 35 Hp on the 60" XS and are offering a speed up kit to increase the speed to 15 mph. I have the 05 XS with the 31 Hp and I am drooling to get my hands on a 35 Hp. Do we ever get enough? Now I just have to figure how to get it and dirty it up before the old lady notices..........:hammerhead:
On a more serious note I bet the 35 Hp will get me through the whole year with a mulch kit. With my old 27 Hp I had to remove it in May. This past year I made it till August with the 31 Hp and removed it for about 3 weeks during the rainy season.

The Lazer Z buyers will now get the 31 Hp and they are going to Love It!

John Gamba
11-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I see that Exmark has quit using to 31 Hp Vanguard and went to a 35 Hp on the 60" XS and are offering a speed up kit to increase the speed to 15 mph. I have the 05 XS with the 31 Hp and I am drooling to get my hands on a 35 Hp. Do we ever get enough? Now I just have to figure how to get it and dirty it up before the old lady notices..........:hammerhead:
On a more serious note I bet the 35 Hp will get me through the whole year with a mulch kit. With my old 27 Hp I had to remove it in May. This past year I made it till August with the 31 Hp and removed it for about 3 weeks during the rainy season.

The Lazer Z buyers will now get the 31 Hp and they are going to Love It!

31 on the front runner too:)

J&R Landscaping
11-20-2006, 12:13 PM
You have to factor the fact that your XS is running bigger pumps and such. I think the 31 will be a good enigne for the Z.

Blessed 1
11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
You have to factor the fact that your XS is running bigger pumps and such. I think the 31 will be a good enigne for the Z.

From what I see they are not putting the larger pumps on the Z. They are affering the 31 Hp on the Lazer Z frame. If they put the larger pumps and all on it, what reason would you have to get the XS? I aggree with ya on it being a good engine on the Z. If mines had the 31 Hp available when I purchased it in 04 I would not be obsessed with the getting the 35:weightlifter:

Willofalltrades
11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I was interested in the 28EFI for fuel saveings. Is there a noticable difference between the two motors? I mean can you tell the 3 hp difference?

tacoma200
11-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I was interested in the 28EFI for fuel saveings. Is there a noticable difference between the two motors? I mean can you tell the 3 hp difference?
I think the big block with more cubic inches (Vanguard) and it's superior torque are what make the difference. The Briggs Vanguard would be hard to bogg down compared to the smaller Kohlers. What do they say about no substitute for cubic inches.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Copy catting scag

Daner
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Now this horse power thing has really thrown a wrench Into my gears. Me being a diesel lover Is wondering about the total output torque difference between the 35 hp Vanguard... and the 25Hp Kubota Diesel anyone got the specs on this?
But yes Exmark has really done a great job In the design dept for 2007.

Maitland Man
11-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Copy catting scag

With this and other threads..(belt vs Hydro).....I'd think you got your mower for free from Scag or something. Nobody here in this thread even talks about them or compares them with Scag...but there you are...Scag this Scag that...Scag should be paying you.:hammerhead:

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 08:06 AM
With this and other threads..(belt vs Hydro).....I'd think you got your mower for free from Scag or something. Nobody here in this thread even talks about them or compares them with Scag...but there you are...Scag this Scag that...Scag should be paying you.:hammerhead:

Scag should be paying lawnsite.

tacoma200
11-21-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't know which mower is better and really don't care that much but anyone else at the expo watch the Exmark testing area that was full of people trying out the different models while the Scag test area was bypassed by just about everyone. Exmark appeals for some reason. The Scag area inside was about as nice as Exmark but you couldn't get anyone to tell you anything. They all had the deer in the head light look. Pitiful showing by Scag at the expo exept for the nice display inside with mannequins standing around. Why was everyone including myself drawn to Exmark, Bad boy, JD but not Scag. I like the build of Scag personally but I have never been able to get used to the ride and handling characteristics.

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 08:50 AM
I like the build of Scag personally but I have never been able to get used to the ride and handling characteristics.

There's your answer

davidcalhoun
11-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Surely you're not going to criticize someone for plugging Scag mowers!

Look at ALL the people who plug Exmark mowers on this site. You would swear that some people (other than sponsors) might even get paid in some form or another for their "biased" opinion/spin.

tacoma200
11-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm not knocking Scag. I just said I can't get used to the handling or ride. Very well built, good deck. I will knock the poor showing at the expo because I stood there forever and finally had to tug on a guy to ask questions and they had no clue about anything I asked. The display looked good, even had a mower tilted up with a mirror so you could see the underside. In comparison the Exmark guys gladly came over and answered in detail every question I could think of right down to how grass circulates in the chambers. Same way on the outside testing area. I know Scags are tough and I have borrowed my friends TT with 27 kaw. We tested the Scag against the Exmark. The cut was close but handling was not. They handle entirely different. I was bumping into stuff with the Scag that I wouldn't on other mowers. I'm sure I would eventually get used to one but it was very different. Ford, Chevy, Dodge type question but Exmark is just more appealing in this case for some reason (If you go by sales and the expo crowd) Perhaps John hit it on the head. Built like a tank and handles like a tank (Scag), how many time have we heard this?

TLS
11-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Let me get something out that has been bothering me lately.

The topic of "RIDE" comes up a LOT! With Hustlers getting the nod for a far superior ride. The only way I can see this is when using their flex-forks. Take them away, and the only thing that can contribute to ride is the ZTR's weight. They ALL use the same tires, all use rigid, non-flexing (for the most part) frames.

Most use similar wheelbases and track widths, and to be honest, I'd like to see companies go shorter and sacrifice a little better ride and shorten up the wheelbase to get better cut and more maneuverability in tight areas.

I just never saw any ZTR ride better than another.

Tire size/type and air pressure is the ONLY variable here.

THERE....

I feel better now.

I'll get into SCAG a little later....

Maitland Man
11-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Look at ALL the people who plug Exmark mowers on this site. You would swear that some people (other than sponsors) might even get paid in some form or another for their "biased" opinion/spin.:hammerhead:

I can't argue with that.:confused: I guess it just rubbed me as a "since I have one, I know it's the best" attitude. :nono: I must have not had my Mountain Dew yet.;)

Sorry.

Dennis

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 11:26 AM

Look at ALL the people who plug Exmark mowers on this site. You would swear that some people (other than sponsors) might even get paid in some form or another for their "biased" opinion/spin.

Exmark is a sponsor here scab is not. i dont and never have been payed by anybody.

Now go rut with your two ton mower.

Le Machine
11-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I think alot has to do with how you are treated by the dealership.I walk into a scag dealer looking at buying a wb...they would not give the time of day maybe I was only looking at buying 1 wb...I walk into a exmark dealer and they treat me like I am somebody and answer all my questions..so I bought an exmark wb...when people see me working they say "wow nice mower, does good job" and I tell them "it sure does" now lets reverse it, now if the exmark dealer treated me poorly and the scag dealer treated me nicely I would of bought the scag..and I would of gotten the same responce from people cutting there properties...both companys make great products you just have to find one that fits your bill.

davidcalhoun
11-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry Team Exmark Leader/John. I though name calling was above you.

I do not currently have a Scag mower. I have had many over the past few decades. I still think that they make a decent mower. The Velocity deck has not seemed to have too many problems.

I have also had many Exmarks. I have had Exmarks from the first year they started the company. I still think they make a decent mower. I hope they actually get their new deck issues resolved for 07

Neither Scag or Exmark has ever paid me nor giving me any awards or product.

So yes, I am unbiased (unless Exmark wants to give me a new Navigator).

How much did you pay for that Exmark flag of yours?

John Gamba
11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
How much did you pay for that Exmark flag of yours?

About 200,000 in mowers threw my dealer.

davidcalhoun
11-21-2006, 02:08 PM
I can relate to the cost, It takes money to make money.

tacoma200
11-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Let me get something out that has been bothering me lately.

The topic of "RIDE" comes up a LOT! With Hustlers getting the nod for a far superior ride. The only way I can see this is when using their flex-forks. Take them away, and the only thing that can contribute to ride is the ZTR's weight. They ALL use the same tires, all use rigid, non-flexing (for the most part) frames.

Most use similar wheelbases and track widths, and to be honest, I'd like to see companies go shorter and sacrifice a little better ride and shorten up the wheelbase to get better cut and more maneuverability in tight areas.

I just never saw any ZTR ride better than another.

Tire size/type and air pressure is the ONLY variable here.

THERE....

I feel better now.

I'll get into SCAG a little later....
I've heard you say that before TLS but I can honestly say my Super Z even with out the flex fork rode better than my Lazer. If you lowered the air pressure to 8 psi one the Super then it was sustantially better. I drove both side by side with and with out the flex forks. And also a Grasshopper ZTR or Front mount seems to ride better than the Super Z minus the flex forks. Of course they come with very low pressure tires. I don't have the answers but I've compared them side by side on the same lots and I personally can tell a difference. I would guess tires, seats, isolated seats, semi-pneumatic tires have alot to do with it. This is just my experience and I've talked to LCOs that run Grasshoppers and they agree (even the midmount). My Super Z was definitely more comfortable than a Scag or Exmark with or without the flex forks. Now that Grasshopper has the new seat design they would probably be one of the best for sure. The Scags while very heavy built jarred me the most, especially since they started using the front semi-pneumatic tires. Honest opinion for what its worth. That being said I know lots that prefer the Scag.

TLS
11-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I hear ya Tacoma.

But what I was getting at is if you take a Lazer, a Turf Tiger, and a Hustler, all similar setups with similar weights. Equip all with air filled tires inflated to the same psi, all with the same seats, and you would HAVE to see identical rides.

Problem I see is that Hustler is one of the few manufacturers speccing 8-10psi in drive and caster tires. SCAG and eXmark are 13+psi. BIG difference there in ride quality.

John Gamba
11-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I hear ya Tacoma.

Problem I see is that Hustler is one of the few manufacturers speccing 8-10psi in drive and caster tires. SCAG and eXmark are 13+psi. BIG difference there in ride quality.

The problem with a lower tire pressure is "dipping and nose diving" the deck moves up and down or side to side when the tire presure is low.

Exmark does play it safe with allot they do. Ask Dixie chopper about low tire pressure and there former flex forks. there new flex fork's looks good.
John

TLS
11-23-2006, 01:14 PM
The problem with a lower tire pressure is "dipping and nose diving" the deck moves up and down or side to side when the tire presure is low.

Exmark does play it safe with allot they do. Ask Dixie chopper about low tire pressure and there former flex forks. there new flex fork's looks good.
John

I haven't noticed any "crop circles" with running 8psi front and back with standard forks. I did notice them with the flex forks on my demo however.

DC was one of the first to recommend low pressure in their tires. IIRC I ran 6psi in the rears and 8-10 in the fronts. I've only popped a caster bead once in 20+ years.

John Gamba
11-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I haven't noticed any "crop circles" with running 8psi front and back with standard forks. I did notice them with the flex forks on my demo however.

DC was one of the first to recommend low pressure in their tires. IIRC I ran 6psi in the rears and 8-10 in the fronts. I've only popped a caster bead once in 20+ years.

Oh there called crop circles:)

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Running high air pressure is strongly recommended with scag running to low will pull the tires loose from the wheel.

John Gamba
11-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Running high air pressure is strongly recommended with scag running to low will pull the tires loose from the wheel.

Low pressure makes the mower squarely in tight turns.

TLS
11-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Read my statement in my post above.