PDA

View Full Version : holiday lighting

smarino21
11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
i wanna do this but have no idea how to charge, do you charge them per stran of lights or what? any help would help me

Jlawnmow
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Depends on what kind of lights you use, commercial or the cheep stuff from wal-mart or home depot. If you use commercial lights you can charge $1.50-$2.00 a foot!

smarino21
11-20-2006, 11:10 AM
for $2 a foot do you leave them there or take them down for that price, do you take them over the summer or do they get them back?

sheshovel
11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
If I were to venture into this blind, then I would not charge THAT much a foot.
If you own even a small home that could run a person $ 400.00/ $500 bucks. i
When you are looking for that kind of work around the holidays, just remember people are tight with their money this time of the year. Plus keep in mind the liability problem If you are not carrying enough liability insurance to protect your customer from you suing in the event of your injury, then they will be VERY hesitant to hire you. You are up on a ladder on their property, that means that puts them at risk even if they have homeowners insurance, I mean if you are not insured yourself.
I would charge by the hour. A fair rate. You use their lights I am sure, if you provided the lights , burnt bulb calls would be a nightmare. Not to mention if your light strand shorts out and burns down the house. Nope I would use their lights (untangled only) and YOUR LADDER.
NEVER get on a homeowners ladder. I almost burst my noggin on a cement slab 20' down trusting an expensive ladder my client insisted I use one time.
Use a fiberglass not a metal ladder when doing lights.

Az Gardener
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I charge my regular labor rate by the hour, I buy the lights for the client I mark them up like any other product. I take them down and pack them for the clients at the end of the year. I store the lights wherever they tell me they want them in the attic the garage the shed.

I only do christmas lights for existing clients. I try and do whatever I can for my existing clients. If I knew of someone that did a better job and charged my clients less I would suggest them, but this I have not seen.

turf hokie
11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
If I were to venture into this blind, then I would not charge THAT much a foot.I charge at least that per foot
If you own even a small home that could run a person $ 400.00/ $500 bucks. We won't do for less than this
When you are looking for that kind of work around the holidays, just remember people are tight with their money this time of the year. Money seems to flow just fine if they are really interested in the service.
Not trying to beat you up she but that is just my experience.

wurkn with amish
11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
thats why you have to target a certain price range of customer.
dont go after the everyday joes, go after the $100,000.00 plus customers!

cleancutccl
11-22-2006, 10:57 PM
I charge 1.00 per foot just for the lights, not including labor. Then I charge at least another 1.00 per foot, more if steep roof pitch and everything has to be done from ladder. We put up, maintain during season, take down, package, and store at our facility. Like said before if they person is interested in the service they will pay for a good quality service. If you are going to get into this, get in touch with a reputable commercial lighting distributor and don't buy any lighting supplies from Home depot, walmart, etc.

evergreenedmond
11-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Don't listen to sheshovel $1.75 is our light cost plus clips, timers & ext. cords. Our average job is $1,200.00 and we have houses that pay over 5K for lights. That doesn't include removal, we charge 25% for that. I have a crew that does nothing but lights from late September through December.

New Horizons
06-29-2007, 10:44 PM
If you do not mind me asking how much more insurance cost and is it worth doing it? Here in CT, we have seen few companies that are charging 3K min. on a reg. ranch house and up to 10Ksuch as cape and more light down driveway and more, and you saying 400-500, why such dif.?

turf hokie
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
If you do not mind me asking how much more insurance cost and is it worth doing it? Here in CT, we have seen few companies that are charging 3K min. on a reg. ranch house and up to 10Ksuch as cape and more light down driveway and more, and you saying 400-500, why such dif.?

I doubt that 3k is their minimum. It is probably what the particular client ended up paying for the installation that they wanted. I have a number of customers in the 500 - 1000 range as well as a number that are over 10k. It all depends on what they are looking for us to do.

I have a completely seperate company with seperate insurance etc, to do the lighting so I dont know how much it would cost to just add this service to an existing insurance policy.

handyzac
08-27-2007, 01:00 AM
who is a good light distributor, do you guys mostly use hooks or staples, and when installing lights in trees do you just run an extension cord to the tree or is there a cleaner way to power each strand.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Go to villagelightingcompany.com and check them out... They offer a great product and offer training etc... I ordered there contractor kit under 100.00 its a pretty good start. They will sell you the lights at wholesale prices...

Good Luck

Chad

David Gretzmier
08-30-2007, 12:47 AM
I'd also give Holiday Bright Lights a call. They sell wholesale, offer training, and have catalogs with pictures you can show customers. Also offer unique products to differentiate your self from the c-9 crowd. We have been buying from them for 4 years now and are extremely happy.

Vikings
09-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Go to villagelightingcompany.com and check them out... They offer a great product and offer training etc... I ordered there contractor kit under 100.00 its a pretty good start. They will sell you the lights at wholesale prices...

Good Luck

Chad

How did you order it? there's no shopping cart or visa thing... did you phone them?

Also, did you already get it and look it over?