PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get stolen from?

desert rose gardening
11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I was wondering how often thieves hit and steal tools from us. I have had 4 over the 26 years I'v been in business. 1982 a blade edger, 2001 line trimmer, 2002 folding ladder, 2006 blower.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-20-2006, 12:39 PM
So far (knock on wood) it has not happened to me. Although, I have just started in business this year. I hope to continue my practices to keep everthing in sight or locked up as to avoid any theft.

Richard Martin
11-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Once back in '98 or so. I lost a Echo blower and a T-230 trimmer. Everything stays very locked up now and I have equipment theft insurance. It's covered at replacement value, not depreciated value.

lawnspecialties
11-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Been in business since '99. Oct. 2005, two RedMax blowers stolen off the trailer. The 8000 was two months old. The 4401 was one month old.:angry:

That's been the only occurence.

sheshovel
11-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Never once in 14 years. Though I thought I did one time but my blower had fallen out of my truck not been stolen. I knew that because the kind people tracked me down a few weeks later at the nursery and gave it back.
Knew my truck.
Apparently the wife had a hard time getting it back from her husband who used it and fell deep into Echo love.

Prestige-Lawncare
11-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Just remember ... never let your guard down (or in other words ... always keep an eye on your stuff!)

:weightlifter:

sheshovel
11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Or at least tie it down so it won't fall out. Hate to break it to ya hun, but your reminding the wrong lady here. I am the warner and reminderer bout that stuff. Not the warned and reminded.

1MajorTom
11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Never once in 14 years. Though I thought I did one time but my blower had fallen out of my truck not been stolen. I knew that because the kind people tracked me down a few weeks later at the nursery and gave it back.
Knew my truck.

Hey that's good, 14 years and nothing stolen. same with us, 8 years and nothing taken. funny thing is, same thing happened to us years ago, we thought we lost a blower. circled back around a few blocks, and it had fallen out of the truck.

Grn Mtn
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
used to leave everything on the trailer, nothing for two years, then bam, 2 weedeaters and a blower. Keep things locked up now or put in garage. But just last weekend after working sun-up to sun-down in the rain I was beat, came home wolfed some food down and fell asleep on the couch. I the morning go out to the trailer and see my beloved stihl 260pro chainsaw was swiped:cry: I must have someone waiting for me to make those mistakes.

Team-Green L&L
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
1 brand new Echo Trimmer (first month of use) taken from the street-side of a property. All equipment is stored in on site container storage or locked in trailor now.

Josh.S
11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
in spring of 2005 I had a 2004 Stihl FS55 easy start stolen off my trailer... I hate people sometimes....

WildWest
11-20-2006, 04:11 PM
in spring of 2005 I had a 2004 Stihl FS55 easy start stolen off my trailer... I hate people sometimes....

LOL, I have a saying..... people SUCK! Now I say that meaning most people, not ALL people.

There is N O T H I N G worse than a thief! (a Democrat is close but STILL not as bad... "jab,jab"!!!)

As for the thieves... I am an avid believer of the right to protect yourself and your property.... SHOOT THIEVES! You will be doing the world a favor!!!!

I havent had any LAWN equip. stolen.... but i've felt the sting of other thefts!

If they cant run 3151 Feet Per Second.... they better not be diggin' in my trailer!!!!

martinfan06
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Year 2000 1st time with own business EVERYTHING mowers,line trimmer, blower, edger, tools, rakes, shovel, trailer EVERYTHING. 6000$ in equipment.
Never leave everything stored on the trailer its to easy from them to take..........never again:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

S man
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
enclosed trailer.

kmann
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Just remember ... never let your guard down (or in other words ... always keep an eye on your stuff!)

:weightlifter:
You are sooo right. At the end of a long, hot, day, don't let your guard down. Just because your're tired, does'nt mean a thief is!

AL Inc
11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Last year was my 11th season, had my first major thefts, I had an Echo hedge trimmer stolen, and a two month old RedMax 8000 blower. Nothing but bad luck with those RedMax blowers.

lawnman_scott
11-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I think I have had stuff stolen 2 or 3 times. About every 4-5 years or so. I guess I am due.

Envy Lawn Service
11-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, in years past I never really had much taken from me but some smaller tools and lots of gas, and that gas thing got to be too darn regular of an occurance there for a while.

But now I am here to tell you... these days, nothing, not even locks and cables and chains will stop a determined thief. These things only keep the honest guys honest and protect the small things.

Today, they strike in broad open daylight and sometimes in the dark of night too, and when they get you, it's for everything you've got. But no one really even pays it much attention and you find yourself feeling lucky if they didn;t get your truck too while they were at it.

D@MN LOWLIFES....

It takes a real lowlife piece of trash to steal a man's breadwinning tools like that.

KS_Grasscutter
11-21-2006, 02:03 AM
It takes a real lowlife piece of trash to steal a man's breadwinning tools like that.

Yep. I havent really had any lawncare stuff stolen from me (knock on wood, lol). Did have a (dang nice) bike stolen once here at home. That kinda sucked, real bad, seeing as how it was less then a year old. I just dont see how some people live with themselves knowing they steal stuff, esp machinery or tools.

YardPro
11-21-2006, 08:44 AM
we have never really had stuff stolen.

but the biggest fish in our pond gets ripped off all the time. he treats his employees terribly and they break in and steal his stuff.

woodall1
11-22-2006, 01:35 PM
About 4 months I woke up at 3am and caught a guy in my truck with the CD player in his hand. He chatted with my Glock and then ran like a maniac. I had a problem with gas cans going missing for a while too. I also had a 10 gallon fuel station but I took it off the trailer. I would fill it up and magically it would drain itself over night. Its hard to have anything with crackheads on the loose.

jkingrph
11-22-2006, 01:54 PM
LOL, I have a saying..... people SUCK! Now I say that meaning most people, not ALL people.

There is N O T H I N G worse than a thief! (a Democrat is close but STILL not as bad... "jab,jab"!!!)

As for the thieves... I am an avid believer of the right to protect yourself and your property.... SHOOT THIEVES! You will be doing the world a favor!!!!

I havent had any LAWN equip. stolen.... but i've felt the sting of other thefts!

If they cant run 3151 Feet Per Second.... they better not be diggin' in my trailer!!!!

Democrats aren"t thieves???

koster_irrigation
11-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Former employees have been known to take home weedeaters for the day and "them get stolen out of their house that night"

kind of convienent.

our shop door was kicked in almost 10 years ago. stole some nice chain saws

Turfdude
11-22-2006, 02:35 PM
I've had a pair of blowers stolen on 3 separate occasions, a single blower, a single trimmer, 2 stick edgers (different times) all since '92 or so. Add it all up and its a lot of dough ray me. In the fall, all crews take all 2 cycle stuff into back yards w/ them .... trust noone!!

MowerMoney
11-23-2006, 08:34 PM
enclosed trailer.

Ditto.

No tools ever taken but I did come out one morning to find my ignition switch dangling by it's wires. They tried to steal my freakin' truck (don't think that the trailer was hitched though). Had to have it towed to the garage to have it fixed.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Once someone took a blower out of the back of my truck.... They left another matching blower that was sitting beside it and 2 trimmers, a edger, a hedge trimmer etc... Happened in the parking lot of the Burgerking across the street from Southpark mall, not a place you would think it would get stolen.

mdvaden
11-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Only 1 time in 18 years. It was the only night I both remembered my box was unlocked, and didn't lock it because it was snowing. Lost a $200 chainsaw.

One doesn't quite count. I left a chainsaw in a backyard at a residence. The lady couldn't reach me on the phone, so she stuck the saw by the curb and left if overnight. What a fool. It was gone when I came by and looked for it the next day. That was a $160 saw about 15 years ago.

JW Lawn
11-24-2006, 11:51 AM
I had 3 full 10 gallon cans walk away over a 2 week time.......Found out it was my 17yr old neigbor kid.......Becuase the 4th can was about 1 gal of gas and 9 gallons of water....:cool2: His car was sitting at the entrance of my neighborhood for a week......