PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Komatsu skidsteers

LabLuvR
11-20-2006, 11:58 AM
They have a doggone good price on them here. What would yo guys think about one of those with a mulching head?

Scag48
11-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm sure KSSS will chime in, he's demo'd one model I believe.

ksss
11-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I did demo a 1020 I believe the model was. The actual feel of the pilots I really liked. The problem is they use a selector switch to change patterns. This works for E/H but does not work for hyd. pilots. This makes all the flows equal to the various functions. The problem is the don't run well that way. I only ran this machine with the H pattern and it had....issues. Poor axle torque was my main issue as I recall. They are long and not as nimble as I would have liked. As far as running a mulching head, I don't recall their hyd. flows being very impressive. Their hp ratings are very average. Another thing that is interesting with both good and bad points is that machine is 100% (as I was told) Komatsu. There are no off the shelf components. I would suspect that parts will be expensive which Komatsu has a reputation for. I was expecting a better machine than it actually was. There was a Komatsu in AZ this winter during prototype testing, the Komatsu was routinely the lowest scored machine in most areas. I did like the gauges on the lap bar. I spoke with a Komatsu rep during Con Expo and he expressed that they were disappointed in the lack of splash that this skid steer has made (I am paraphrasing). This is probably more than you wanted to know. I would demo one before you bought one and maybe speak to a couple owners. I have no idea how they run over the long term.

Dirty Water
11-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Just to show how little impact Komatsu has made with the SSL's here, I didn't even know they made one, and we have a couple contractors that are BIG time Komatsu fan boys.

TEES
12-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I currently run a Komatsu SK815 turbo The machine now has about 100 hours on it and primarily runs a Harley rake. My machine whilst having PPC pilot controls is set up with the conventional pedal and lever set up. Accordingly, I have noticed none of the aforementioned issues with poor axle torque.

I have only had 1 small issue where by the left side appears to have more power and torque than the right side, still having some issues with getting it diagnosed and fixed as the Komatsu technician has scratched his head and stated that he knows little about skid steers and then left.

I believe this is probably just a minor issue however.

The machines are built by Komatsu in Italy. I am not sure whether they use proprietary or off the shelf components. However I would assume that just from an economic prospective that they would use off the shelf components as it is far cheaper to by in a pump or Hyd motor than to design, tool up and build one yourself. This is borne out by the fact that they use a Yanmar engine.

The machine has a good long wheel based which makes it very stable and ideal for Harley work. It has a very good lift capacity and is stable in rough and hilly terrain. The controls are very responsive and the machine has excellent visibility. From my experience the machine also has good power.

All in all I am very happy with the machine and would certainly consider purchasing another

TEES
12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Sorry, Last post should have read 1100 hours.

Furthermore, the machines have excellent accessability probably the best that I have seen bar the New holland.