PDA

View Full Version : how long does edger blade last?

bobbygedd
06-21-2001, 04:16 PM
just wondering how many uses u all get from a new edger blade. i am finding that each blade only lasts me about 6 or 7 properties( about 100 ft or edging each, walkways, etc) . and these r just maint type jobs, no first time edging .

sheppard
06-21-2001, 04:22 PM
I can go about a week on averedge

Sheppard

cp
06-21-2001, 04:25 PM
They last me about 45-60 days. I try to adjust the blade so it only cuts deep enough to do the job. I don't know if this helps but I would think that if it is cutting too deep that is unecessary.

bobbygedd
06-21-2001, 04:33 PM
wow, i think im really doing something wrong. yes i do go down real deep with it, it always looks good, but i think the machine may be on an odd angle, it dont feel like im hitting anything.

script
06-21-2001, 05:31 PM
I use a stick edger, and the blade last about 3-4 days.

Cleve
06-21-2001, 05:34 PM
There is not a good answer for this. It all depends on how you use the blade. Most of our work is against concrete and I generally have the blade vetical and touching the concrete. A blade can last from one day to a week depending on how deep it is cutting. Deciding when to change a blade is another question. Sometimes I try to get too many uses with one. Then waste time having to change it on the job.
Cleve.

Keith
06-21-2001, 05:41 PM
It depends on how long you are edging. We edge pretty much every week, so 4-5 days is the norm per edger (stick). The other day, I edged one that hadn't been done in about a month, it about single handedly took out a fresh blade inside 30 minutes. It would go longer, but I prefer new blades at 85 cents each :)

Fantasy Lawns
06-21-2001, 05:52 PM
run that sucker down to just above the ##'s on the blade ...which for us is..... daily .... sometimes twice a day ....depending on how much edging is cement ....our St Aug forces each n every job to get edging
;->

65hoss
06-21-2001, 06:30 PM
With active bermuda we edge every week also. I usually change the blade about once a week. We did one 2 days ago that had not been done in at least a year. It put a good bit of wear on the new blade.

HOMER
06-21-2001, 06:44 PM
A day if I'm lucky. We edge everything we do everytime we do it. I pay $1.39 per blade so it's the least expensive thing we have to buy, we just use a lot of them.

lawnman_scott
06-21-2001, 08:33 PM
we replace ours every 2-4 days but they only cost $1.00 here.

KindGardener
06-21-2001, 10:56 PM
Does anyone else use 2 blades on their edger? I use a PowerTrim edger & keep an old (short) blade on the right (the side that's closest to the concrete walkway).

The long blade hits grass - the short one tickles the concrete. leaves a little wider kerf in the dirt, too.

When my mower guy edges, he GRINDS the blade against the concrete - that's what really wears 'em down.

Lawn DOG
06-22-2001, 01:16 AM
We edge most of our properties every two weeks. We buy edger blades in boxes of fifty. Cheaper to buy in bulk. For us it is to time consuming to try to get full use of a single blade. If we have knocked 1/3 of it off then take 2 minutes and slap a new blade on and roll with it. Don't try to save a nickel by using a bad blade. That's like mowing with dull blades. You can do it but why.

Fallguy
06-22-2001, 01:30 AM
i run double blades on my muriyama (not sure if i spelled that right) i tried to get the original bledes but they are hard to find - and are thicker than most edger blades - anyhow desperation made me try doubling up with 2 thinner blades and lo and behold it worked great - i stack them side by side perfectly even then tighten the crap out of the bolt - i run 2 brand new double blades at all time now - the wider edge is more visible and the blades last 3 times longer - only drawback is that if you have a problem smacking the concreet with your blades then you have to line them back up - but it will make you more tallented at edging - only took doing it one time to make me be more carefull with the blades when edging cement - probably be a good thing to grease your equipment more often as its bound to be more stress on the bearing.

Keith
06-22-2001, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I had a Maruyama and remember it required a .125" thick blade, vs. .095" that most were selling. I was able to locate several aftermarket sources for them though. I still use the .125's even though they are not required on my current edger, they do las noticeably longer.

Fallguy
06-22-2001, 01:43 AM
i was mad at first because my dealer sold me the edger then when i needed blades he didnt have them - i can imaging running out of alot of things - but blades? then he never mentioned running 2 of a thinner blade with the same size hole - i finnaly just did it out of desperation - and have sence just been running them like that all the time. by the way - that maruyama is a vicious edger isnt it? - goes with my saying below.

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 01:44 AM
Mine last about a month. I edge with my trimmer most of the time, just as fast and looks better when the grass is at 4".

Keith
06-22-2001, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Keith
It depends on how long you are edging. We edge pretty much every week, so 4-5 days is the norm per edger (stick). The other day, I edged one that hadn't been done in about a month, it about single handedly took out a fresh blade inside 30 minutes. It would go longer, but I prefer new blades at 85 cents each :)

I lied. There 88 cents each. :D Believe it or not this is at Lesco. I just bought a box of 50 Monday and it was $44. They get right at a buck each in packs of ten. Also saying they last 4-5 days may be a little misleading since we have three edgers.

GreenQuest Lawn
06-22-2001, 02:12 AM
I seem to like how the new blades edge, so what i do is flip the blade over when the corners round off. That way I get the nice square edge. I would say between 1-2 weeks on a blade.

Fine Lines Lawn
06-22-2001, 07:26 AM
I think it might be a seasonal thing. They last me about three months during the winter but only about a day in the summer.

skeeta
06-22-2001, 09:42 PM
I have found when using the stick edger, if you clean out the debris from inside the gaurd the blades seem to last longer. Hope this helps!

lee b
06-22-2001, 09:54 PM
I have wore out a new blade in under 2 hours on first time edging, but I usually get about 3 to 4 hours out of 'em.

crs
06-22-2001, 10:34 PM
My edger blade lasts about 4 months of heavy use. Of course it is an 18" coulter blade attached to an arm on the side of my Huslter 251k. It's great for large properties with a lot of road frontage, you can mow grass and edge at the same time running 7-8mph.

OH! :eek: you mean those little things. I can get about 2-3 days out of them (ave. 10 residential props a day).