PDA

View Full Version : mulch/weeds

bobbygedd
06-21-2001, 03:24 PM
seems that most people on here dont use any type of fabric to keep weeds out when putting down mulch. i always do. one of my new lawn customers had a very large and reputable landscaping company put in some major landscaping(about $50, 000) they went with all mulch(about 30 yds), the work is less than a month old and already there r weeds, millions of them. dont the customers complain about this? what do u tell them? i know u can use a pre-em, but in may or june its kinda late for that i think.

greens1
06-21-2001, 03:43 PM
Barrier has premergent and postemergent effect, limited to labled planting material. There are many solutions to weed problems that do not include landscape fabric.

If you apply the preemergent at the time of planting then you will not have a problem.

Jim L

eskals
06-21-2001, 04:54 PM
I would think that pre-emergent could still be applied. Obviously, you want to remove all the weeds and then apply the pre-emergent.

Eric

dan deutekom
06-21-2001, 06:37 PM
I don't like landscape fabric because I have had to clean up to many beds with the fabric that have weeds growing through it. When this happens it is next to impossible to clean them up!. A good thick layer of mulch is the way to go. Any weeds that come through this are easy to pull

Avery
06-21-2001, 06:54 PM
Fabrics are for homeowners and do-it-yourself'ers. Many weeds can still germinate in the layer of mulch on top of the fabric and fabric does not last forever. We apply a good pre-emergeant (usually Ronstar) to new plantings then use selective herbicides to control what that misses.

Hope this helps. :cool:

IvyLeagueLandscape
06-21-2001, 08:13 PM
Hey,
If the weeds are pretty bad we'll spray round then apply liquid pendulum(spelling?)Or when we install the landscape we spread Snapshot or Treflan around the plants. This usually last a season. Then apply again in the spring with the mulch.

kturner
06-24-2001, 01:29 AM
We tell everyone that a quality landscape is going to need quality care- and weeding.
I hate the way the fabrics poke out from under the mulch sooner or later.
I'd rather bill for weeding time than spread chemicals around.
Hire a sub to follow you around weeding old customers- lucrative.

little green guy
06-24-2001, 02:10 PM
I hate fabric, it seems like it will always come back to haunt you, I put treflan down every time I mulch and when weeds do pop up we hit em with roundup or pull em. ;)

oh yah, I do ues fabric under stone and river bed rock though.

swn
04-17-2002, 02:58 PM
What do you guys do when you get a new customer in the late spring or early summer that wants beds weeded and remulched? It seems to me that putting down a pre m would not work because you won't get all of the roots out.

Scraper
04-17-2002, 03:34 PM
one word....glyphosphate

Russo
04-17-2002, 09:44 PM
SCREW WEED FABRIC!

I just weeded a bed that had fabric in it. What a PITA!!!!! This was a 15'x9' bed chuck full of lovely weeds. I fugure it'll take an hour to pull and add a little Pinestraw. WRONG. The weeds wove themselves into the fabric and it was like removing a mutant ivy-sod combination. Can't use a shovel either cause the fabulous fabric is in the way.

Well, why would I be weeding a bed that had fabric in it you might ask? I mean it prevents weeds, right? BECAUSE WEEDS GROW IN THE MULCH!!!

Weeding requires regular maintenance, just like the rest of a landscape.

WEED FABRIC SUCKS.

bobbygedd
04-20-2002, 08:20 PM
u r very right, i have since changed myopinion. i have gone back to do bed maint on some of these jobs, pain in the butt, and didnt prevent weeds either. if u sell the customer on annual bed maint u can keep them in good shape, no fabric.

Lanelle
04-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Hooray!! Another convert! Fabric doesn't belong in mulched beds. Under stone, sure, but not organic mulch.

hebron
05-08-2002, 06:03 PM
For what its worth --- I do this on all my mulching jobs and it helps a lot.

Put a layer of newspaper (3-5 sheets thick) on the dirt before the mulch. Water penetrates through to the plant, weeds do not growth through the paper, it keeps the mulch out of the dirt a little longer, slows down the weed growth in the mulch, decomposes into the soil so there is never a cleanup problem down the road and Best of All ----- It's Cheap!

Many of my mulch jobs can go two full seasons with this treatment.

Have a good one.

Tim