PDA

View Full Version : Truck configure for new crew ticky tacky houses 2000 sqft max

sildoc
11-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Looking to add a new crew for my small residential. Looking to have no trailer and min amount of equiptment.
So to toss a discusion around I am looking mainly at vehicles.

1. half ton american made 2wd longbed pickup. no bed and have a flat bed 6 1/2' x 8 1/2'
or
2. Isuzu npr 16'

#1 is by far most cost effective.

Looking to have on the truck 1 exmark 26" 1 honda 21"
2 trimmers and 1 bp blower and one handheld.
misc hand tools.

We bag spring and fall when it is just to wet to mulch.
This is a cut and dry simple one man opperation to cut down on my load. I will have he/she cutting 4 days a week and we will both cut shrubs and misc on the 5th day.
So my main question is what do you think vehicle wise is the best set up. I have been tossing this around for over a month but would like some input as you all come up with pros and cons that some times I dont think of.

KS_Grasscutter
11-20-2006, 10:43 PM
If you are bagging, i am not sure it would work to haul the equipment and clippings in the same truck. And since it is a one man opperation, I am sure it would get old loading/unloading the mower alone all day from a pickup. Why not run a truck with a 5x8 trailer with the equipment, and haul clippings in the truck, with a loadhandler to unload the grass?

If you dont have the equipment already, I would stay AWAY from the 26inch Metro. Have not heard ONE good thing about them on here, but they have tons of problems.

LindblomRJ
11-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Something like a just mow it or something crew cut enterprises built. For spring and fall how about a trailer?

a compact pickup or 1/2 ton might suffice. IMO a 26" snapper would be a better buy or just stick with the 21"

sildoc
11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
I know I have been looking at all the configureations and with bagging on ticky tacky lawns I cant come up with needing more. plus with only carrying 2 small mowers I don't want to let them go with a trailer. I am looking at fuel, turn around and other.
My set up for the flat bed is have an area 3 x 3 x 6.5 for clippings and such and then have 5 x6.5 area for mowers and such. I can haul all the clippings that I need in that area for these small turf areas.
Leaves and other will be taken care of by my other crew or myself. Larger vehicles.
ON the 26" exmark I am using this as a place. I realize they have their problems but also know that this will be their 2+ year and most major problems will be fixed. I have larger mowers but dont want to outfit this with large mowers just to do small yards. Looking for the most efficient way to get it done.

ed2hess
11-20-2006, 11:37 PM
The companies in our area use 21" mowers on lawns up to 8K, I would pass on that 26" exmark. The big problem is hauling that grass......mow all day and can stack the grass on a little truck with all the equipment??

sildoc
11-20-2006, 11:49 PM
The companies in our area use 21" mowers on lawns up to 8K, I would pass on that 26" exmark. The big problem is hauling that grass......mow all day and can stack the grass on a little truck with all the equipment??
LIke I said before this is small lots 3000 and smaller at most. Any thing larger and we use 36". Grass is only a problem for 3 months out of the year and usually have few green cans that can dump into. I dont think grass will take more than 2 yards of grass a day. the small bin 3x3x6.5 will hold over 2 yards with out being mounded. I cant see 2 mowers taking up more than 10 sq ft total so grass can be put there also.

MLI
11-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Put one of those carry ramps into your hitch(fert guys use these for perma green units) Put the 26 metro on the ramp off the hitch, throw the 21 in the back of truck. There should be plenty of room for grass clippings. Oh yeah....use a load handler in bed of truck....at end of day just crank out! Wackers and blowers can be hung on side boards. :drinkup:

Prestige-Lawncare
11-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Put one of those carry ramps into your hitch(fert guys use these for perma green units) Put the 26 metro on the ramp off the hitch, throw the 21 in the back of truck. There should be plenty of room for grass clippings. Oh yeah....use a load handler in bed of truck....at end of day just crank out! Wackers and blowers can be hung on side boards. :drinkup:

Right here is probably your best bet I believe. I also like the idea of a small (5x8 maybe) trailer. I'm a trailer freak though ... and the drop & hook quickness is great!

:weightlifter:

sildoc
11-21-2006, 11:57 AM
I had thought about this. I Might be able to fabricate one to carry two mowers and not even have to build a flat bed. Load handlers are great if you don't have much weight on them or have it builtup behind the wheel wells.
I have been using a small pallet and tow ropes to pull out my loads. Yes I have to get in there afterwards and remove some debris but not nearly as much as I did with the load handler. Than and it is much faster.
Not knocking the load handler but I had many times that I could make it move but the load was staying where it was. Hand unloading sucks.