PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Pro 21"?

KS_Grasscutter
11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, I am kinda sorta halfway in the market for a new commercial 21inch for next season (actually about mid-season next year). Are the Snapper Pro 21s any good? I like the style of the bag on them vs. the Exmark/Toro bag. I DO NOT want a POS JD that will need a new transmission in a year. I guess my three choices are SnapperPro, Gravely and Aierns. What is the best of these three?

It likely will not be getting a lot of use, maybe 15 mins/day, but I want a good one that will last me a real long time.

desert rose gardening
11-21-2006, 12:37 AM
I know you said you don't like the Toro, I stopped using the Snapper because it did not pick up the wet grass as good as the Toro. On the Snapper that long shoot between the mower and the bag would get plugged and I would have to stop and unplug it, not fun.

KS_Grasscutter
11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
I know you said you don't like the Toro, I stopped using the Snapper because it did not pick up the wet grass as good as the Toro. On the Snapper that long shoot between the mower and the bag would get plugged and I would have to stop and unplug it, not fun.

I guess I never thought of that. I guess I could get used to the Exmark bag. I wouldnt mind having a Exmark metro 21 with the Kawi and BBC. Everyone think this would be a better choice? One major positive of the Exmark over the others is the fact that I have a dealer 5 miles away vs. 45 for the others.

YardPro
11-21-2006, 07:50 AM

the snapper you are refering to IS NOT THE COMMERCIAL UNIT....

the commercial unit has a bag attached on the rear and there is NO side discharge..

we have run the COMMERCIAL snappers for almost 10 years not and like them a lot.
we tried the john deere jk75, and it fell apart in a year.

the snappers we buy are about $850/unit.
I really like the one lever height adjustment. all the wheels adjust together. We have had problems with employees not having all the wheels on the same notch when they can be adjusted independantly.
It also has a blade brake clutch so the unit can be driven without the blades spinning.
the only issue we have with them is that the drivve "clutch" needs maintenance. There is a sliding bar and cog system behing each wheel that lets the wheel be driven forward, but will let one wheel roll backwards when truning around. the sliding bar needs to be lubricated a few times per season.

The other issue we have is the operator presence cables are not very well made.. keep a few in stock.

naturescape
11-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Snapper makes the best 21s out there, even their residential stuff is awesome, or was a few years ago. I don't think they've changed much, and that is one of the reasons Snapper is the way to go!

Dunn's
11-21-2006, 11:21 AM
As he said snappers where the way to go years ago. Hopefully you have a good dealer and they will let you know you do not want a snapper for commercial use this years models are junk both of ours have been in the shop at least twice this season and they are only used 3-4 times a week.Stay away from the snapper oh yeah and take a look at the john deere and the snapper odd how they resemble each other so much. It's because they are made in the same factory and both are junk.

ashs inc
11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Yard pro what model snapper do yall use???

Nature-Ally
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
I bought a Snapper Pro 21" Recycling Ninja Mulcher this past February as my primary mower. It has been a great machine and has cut a lot of grass this past year. I really like the drive mechanism because it is easy to work on and very simple. The ninja blade that comes with the mower, in my opinion, is not the greatest. I plan to try some gator blades next year. The 6hp Kawasaki engine was great and rarly did it bog down. I didn't mow much wet grass, but when it was damp, the mower did just fine. I would definately purchase another Snapper. I paid $695 for mine, tne added the chute, bag and recycling blade for $866 including the tax.

Hansen1784
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Don't know anything about those mowers but I'm real happy with my Honda Commercial mower.

ozd12005
11-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I bought a snapper this year and it has to be the worst hunk of cr*p I have ever mowed with. A huge waste of money

newtex
11-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Stay away from Snapper. I cut for a year with a Troy-Built push mower from Lowe's, and then went with a Snapper thinking I was stepping up. The Troy-Built cuts better than the Snapper. I second Nature about the Ninja blade, it is terrible. Cable broke on my Snapper in one month. The whole mower shakes, rattles, and squeaks horribly when you engage the self-propel disc. I bought the Hi-Vac by the way.

Jason Rose
11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Snapper Commercial, dedicated rear bagging unit, bottom pic.

ed2hess
11-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Snapper Commercial, dedicated rear bagging unit, bottom pic.
We run the Snapper in the top of Jason's picture....several over many years and these units are rock solid design. The haven't changed in many years and that is okay....easy to work on also. They run around $1K and they do a decent job of mulching and bagging. Much better trim mower than Honda since this is not positive drive on both rear wheel. Honda is better bagger and very sold unit also.

Tharrell
11-22-2006, 06:11 AM
I picked up a used Hi-Vac on a whim but, I've found myself using it more often than I thought. I like the drive system on the Snapper.

ozd12005
11-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I picked up a used Hi-Vac on a whim but, I've found myself using it more often than I thought. I like the drive system on the Snapper.

You like the drive system??? wow I got sooooo tired of the drive system squeaking everytime and not to mention it s*cks in the rain

S man
11-22-2006, 02:24 PM
I bought a snapper this year and it has to be the worst hunk of cr*p I have ever mowed with. A huge waste of money

I agree. Mine is less than two years old and has had trannsmission work and still doesn't pull right. It's cuts alright but bags like crap. Stick with proline/ and metro. Best 21"s. Period.

ed2hess
11-22-2006, 02:25 PM
You like the drive system??? wow I got sooooo tired of the drive system squeaking everytime and not to mention it s*cks in the rain
It needs service.....there should not be any squeaks in this drive train, it hasn't changed in 20 years from a design standpoint. They have come out with a new belt that cost $15 and it is a winner, don't hardly need the idler. And they have added a shield under the deck to keep debris out of the drive. Both items are very good improvements. Bearings can be the source of squeaks and there are two in the drive train and they do go out, a weak point in an otherwise good design.

S man
11-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Stay away from Snapper. I cut for a year with a Troy-Built push mower from Lowe's, and then went with a Snapper thinking I was stepping up. The Troy-Built cuts better than the Snapper. I second Nature about the Ninja blade, it is terrible. Cable broke on my Snapper in one month. The whole mower shakes, rattles, and squeaks horribly when you engage the self-propel disc. I bought the Hi-Vac by the way.

That's the same with me. I had a yardman mtd for two years when I was starting out and loved it! Then I tried an expensive snapper hi vac with the honda gcv engine. I hated it and b!tched the dealer into giving me all my money back. It cut really bad. But the funny thing is I bought annother snapper a year later and had decent results. It's the mulching deck but can't bag at all. I'm staying away from snapper now. Might try ariens.

Tharrell
11-25-2006, 06:36 AM
You may have a point about the rain, I wouldn't know because I don't mow in the rain.
I have another one that only needs an engine, it's my winter project.
I like it because there's really no transmission to speak of, only a gearbox and friction plates. It's a really simple shift on the go system. No wheels or cogs to strip.
Same system is on their rear engine riders.

J&R Landscaping
11-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I have one of the snapper 21" mowers with a kawasaki engine on it. The engine is the best thing about it. The cut is of marginal quality and the bagging ability of this mower leaves a lot to be desired. I have a 21" toro commercial mower as well and I absolutley love it. The Snapper 21" will likely be traded in next year for a new toro.

There is a reason why the snapper is $800 and the Toro's and Exmarks are $1000++++++. I had heard many good reviews about the snapper and thought I would be saving some cash but that didnt work!! If you want a snapper 21" for cheap, PM me and I'll sell you mine. I want to get rid of this POS!!!!!!!!

S man
11-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I have one of the snapper 21" mowers with a kawasaki engine on it. The engine is the best thing about it. The cut is of marginal quality and the bagging ability of this mower leaves a lot to be desired. I have a 21" toro commercial mower as well and I absolutley love it. The Snapper 21" will likely be traded in next year for a new toro.

There is a reason why the snapper is $800 and the Toro's and Exmarks are $1000++++++. I had heard many good reviews about the snapper and thought I would be saving some cash but that didnt work!! If you want a snapper 21" for cheap, PM me and I'll sell you mine. I want to get rid of this POS!!!!!!!!

Well the way you talk about it we should take it off your hands for free. Lol. j/k:rolleyes:

hess
01-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Used John Deere Js20 for 2 years not a problem just kept the oil clean
started on frist pull !

hess
01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
used John Deere js20 for 2 years not a problem just kept the oil clean
started on frist pull and still going!!!!

lawnboy dan
01-28-2007, 06:42 PM
the only thing a snapper is good for is leaf removial . it excelles at this but for cutting grass -look elsewhere. the drive system is a joke but easy to fix(often). the cables and springs and bearings are of low quality and need replacing very often. the one that is strickly a rear bagger and all 4 wheels adjust at once is a completely diff desighn that i have never used. the hi-vac model is very trouble prone. you have been warned

S man
01-28-2007, 10:00 PM
the only thing a snapper is good for is leaf removial . it excelles at this but for cutting grass -look elsewhere. the drive system is a joke but easy to fix(often). the cables and springs and bearings are of low quality and need replacing very often. the one that is strickly a rear bagger and all 4 wheels adjust at once is a completely diff desighn that i have never used. the hi-vac model is very trouble prone. you have been warned

Is ariens just as bad? They have a disc drive but look much more solid.

BlakeReeder
01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I baught a snapper this last year and am very impressed with it. I used it after rain and all. It has the best suction out of all 21" in my personal experience. It doubles up as a lwan vac. Sucks as good as the billy goat! :hammerhead:

CA CLT
01-29-2007, 12:54 AM
I've always been a Snapper man when it comes to 21" mowers. I've used ExMarks and Toros extensively when I worked for other people, but nothing cuts as clean, and bags as nicely as a Hi Vac. In my own business I have always used a Snapper Hi Vac.

When the grass is soggy wet, and you are mowing quickly yes the tube will plug, but a few swift kicks usually clears it right out. All you have to do is slow down a little bit.

Of course the Toro appears to "bag better" because it isn't really bagging everything! The Toro leaves a very loose brushy looking cut similar to a larger walk behind, while the Snapper leaves a clean, even cut, the likes of which you will never see with any other mower. The Toro is a better mulching mower because even with a bag it leaves a lot of debris behind by its very design. So, naturally it is better at leaving stuff behind with a mulch kit. The Snapper with a mulch kit is lame because by its very design in the 1970s before mulching was cool, it was engineered to lift, cut, and vacuum. The Snapper is also better for taller people as the handle is up higher at a more comfortable angle and easier handling.

All mowers have their strong points, but for me the Snapper has always been a better fit than a Toro.

lawnboy dan
01-29-2007, 04:10 PM
i have used ariens in the past and would have to give them a better grade than the snapper when it comes to desighn and reliability

Tharrell
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Ever click on a post only to find out you already responded? ha ha ha
Anyway, yeah I like my hi vac but I don't use it that much. Get this, it was made in '93 original engine and all.
The crank is bent a little and uses some oil but, I'll run it till it pukes.
I really like the simplicity of the drive system. I've seen so many cog and wheel assemblies ripped to shreds at the shop, I jumped at the used hi vac.
A loaded up hi vac is around $650, I can see buying the rear discharge for a little more but, does it have the same drive system?

CA CLT
01-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Tharrell,

A Hi Vac Commercial is closer to $900 right now. Those and the rear discharge are priced about the same. I had the rear discharge deck when they first came out. I didn't care for it myself as it gave about the same cut as a Toro. As for the drive system, it is not the same unit as appears on the Hi Vac.

Bitchen avatar. I like the 5" and 4" of travel on the vintage works Yamaha.

lawnboy dan
01-30-2007, 08:32 AM
the rear discharge unit is a gear drive 3 speed made by tuff-tourque. i cant tell you what its like as i never used one. if you are good at reparing things -a hi vac is a good mower to have in your line up. there is no more more efficent tool for leaf removial that i have found and its all i do with mine.

S man
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
the rear discharge unit is a gear drive 3 speed made by tuff-tourque. i cant tell you what its like as i never used one. if you are good at reparing things -a hi vac is a good mower to have in your line up. there is no more more efficent tool for leaf removial that i have found and its all i do with mine.

The mistake I made when I bought my snapper, was that I got the mulch deck not the hivac deck which works the best. Bad move. At least the mulch deck mulches alright but it can't bag at ALL!

lawnboy dan
02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
true-the hi vac can really mulch well as well as bag

S man
02-07-2007, 11:03 PM
true-the hi vac can really mulch well as well as bag

I know. I might give snapper another chance. which engine do you prefer? The honda or kawasaki

hess
02-08-2007, 07:46 AM
The Kawasaki they have more torqu what i was told there better then the bs motors too and any motor right know
the hi vac i can't beleave the differnce they make!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use the the johndeer js20 used it once and went out and got another one
but the only problem is it has the bs motor on it but it dose it's job !!!!!!!!!! can't reallly complain about it.:clapping:

lawnboy dan
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
i think i would go with the kawi

hess
02-08-2007, 08:30 AM
:clapping: Good Choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dancing:

S man
02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Hondas are solid and give no problems from what I hear. But I have been happy with the kawasaki on my toro.

S man
03-08-2007, 09:01 PM
What about the honda engine on the snapper commercial? They have half a hp less but last much longer than the kawasaki. Also if the rpms are at 3600 it should cut just as good.

lawnboy dan
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
i have no experience with honda engines on snappers. cant help

KS_Grasscutter
03-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, I think I figured out what I am gonna do for a new 21"... Neighbor has like 4 Toro 21"s. A couple of them have the 2 cycle Suzuki, so I am gonna trade some mowing for one of them, or possibly one with a 4 cycle. These are all the 3 speed. Anyone have any idea what these are worth? It is NOT the Proline.

S man
03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
i have no experience with honda engines on snappers. cant help

Really? I know the old gcv honda on the snappers a while back were complete trash.

Dunn's
03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Tharrell;1689830]Ever click on a post only to find out you already responded? ha ha ha
Anyway, yeah I like my hi vac but I don't use it that much. Get this, it was made in '93 original engine and all.
I really like the simplicity of the drive system. I've seen so many cog and wheel assemblies ripped to shreds at the shop, I jumped at the used hi vac.
A loaded up hi vac is around $650, I can see buying the rear discharge for a little more but, does it have the same drive system?[/QUOTE
We love the old Snappers but hate the new ones. We have a 93 and 89 Hi-vac that are way better than our 2006 model any day of the week. Yeah the 89's are a little slow with there 3.5 hp but we are planning on switching the engines out this year. Probably from the 2006 Snapper.

S man
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=Tharrell;1689830]Ever click on a post only to find out you already responded? ha ha ha
A loaded up hi vac is around $650, I can see buying the rear discharge for a little more but, does it have the same drive system?[/QUOTE
We love the old Snappers but hate the new ones. We have a 93 and 89 Hi-vac that are way better than our 2006 model any day of the week. Yeah the 89's are a little slow with there 3.5 hp but we are planning on switching the engines out this year. Probably from the 2006 Snapper.

What's wrong with your new '06 model? And no the rear discharge unit has a gear transmission system like everyone else, toro honda many others.

S man
03-09-2007, 09:22 PM

My toro bags great ONLY with the recycler blade. the gator blade bags horrible. My snapper bags the worst being a mulch deck model.

YardPro
03-09-2007, 09:43 PM
we use the snapper 21's and like them a lot.
we like the single lever height adjustment....
also we have the kawie engines on them. the last ones we had had the robins.. we had problems with the plastic that went from the air filter to the carb cracking and letting in dirty air.

but these kawies are much better. we do have some cable issues with them but the units are really good.

freddyc
03-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Slightly off subject but is a 21" commercial Exmark at $950 a decent deal? The dealer is having a special (aren't they all).

I need a 21" and I have my hand on the checkbook.... help!:confused: