PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Pavers

Team-Green L&L
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
We had a client demand that his tumbled pavers be installed upside down for less (high heel liability). "I don't know either..." Anyway, we did and later finished the ICPI course. Now I am a little weary of that procedure.

Should I worry about failure simply because of the flipping of the paver and the beveled side being down?

Team-Green L&L
11-20-2006, 11:56 PM
I did ask this question at the ICPI course and was told that the beveled edge's purpose was to prevent the edges from crumbling. Are there any more functions of that bevel that I should be aware of?

hoskm01
11-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Why didn't he just get non-tumbled pavers? Probably would have been cheaper, and would have saved him paying you to flip it all.

The beveled edge certainly helps from breaking/cracking off edges, but it is mostly asthetic.

DVS Hardscaper
11-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Yes the pavers CAN be flipped.

Not-a big deal!

DVS Hardscaper
11-21-2006, 09:03 AM
opps

wrong thread

Team-Green L&L
11-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Why didn't he just get non-tumbled pavers? Probably would have been cheaper, and would have saved him paying you to flip it all.

The beveled edge certainly helps from breaking/cracking off edges, but it is mostly asthetic.

This was one of our earlier jobs, before we knew how to present a paver proposal, so we simply suggested tumbled due to the 1910 architecture of the home. He quickly glanced at the paver sample and said "that's fine. Do that..."

Needless to say, once we had already started laying, he comes up with this (high-heel) liability stuff. The craziest thing is that he's a man without a wife. Either he's the world's best risk analyst or simply crazy!

STONE SCAPES
11-21-2006, 10:09 AM
simply crazy

ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC.
11-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Team green, would you say the icpi class is worth it. I just signed up, with little experience dealing with pavers. However i would like to get into it.

Team-Green L&L
11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
We did very little paver work until last year and found ourselves beating our margins into the ground with return visits. I am 150% confident now in my abilities to produce a paver product I can guarantee for 5 years. Again, we have been doing pavers for a couple years though.

I would recommend the course to anyone pursuing a profit from paver installation.

excalibur
11-22-2006, 11:32 AM
This was one of our earlier jobs, before we knew how to present a paver proposal, so we simply suggested tumbled due to the 1910 architecture of the home. He quickly glanced at the paver sample and said "that's fine. Do that..."

Needless to say, once we had already started laying, he comes up with this (high-heel) liability stuff. The craziest thing is that he's a man without a wife. Either he's the world's best risk analyst or simply crazy!

Maybe the guy has an ...ahem... hobby. ;)

Team-Green L&L
11-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe the guy has an ...ahem... hobby. ;)

I think you're right. He does have a "roommate".

Rex Mann
11-23-2006, 06:12 PM
We did a driveway, 6000 sf, and used a "pillow-top" paver. Homeowner wanted it flipped upside down. We did it, because the manufacture said it was okay. One year later the homeowner calls and has many pavers broken and cracked on the corners. We had to replace the entire driveway. Manufacture supplied the material for free. Now they are saying they must be installed right-side up for the lifetime warranty.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Team-Green L&L
11-23-2006, 06:49 PM
We did a driveway, 6000 sf, and used a "pillow-top" paver. Homeowner wanted it flipped upside down. We did it, because the manufacture said it was okay. One year later the homeowner calls and has many pavers broken and cracked on the corners. We had to replace the entire driveway. Manufacture supplied the material for free. Now they are saying they must be installed right-side up for the lifetime warranty.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Thank you for this clarification. Fortunately, this one will not receive much more weight load than a table and chairs and a couple of ppl.