PDA

View Full Version : Toro 21 hight adjusters

desert rose gardening
11-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Anybody have problems with the Toro Proline 21 hight adjusters? I have been using them for 15 years and its the only complain I have with them. There great mowers but the adjusters get loose in about 3 months then in 6 months I use bungee's to hold them in place, then in a year its new parts. I wish they would make it better. I do maintenance on them but that doesn't seem to help. Am I alone on this how about you?

z_clark
11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
you are defiantly NOT alone!!!! Replacing the front height adjusters (spring arm and front plates) is a every 6 week job for me. Here at year end I am also replacing the back ones, along with all 4 wheels. Nothing like sinking 125 bucks into a machine at year end :hammerhead: !!!

Do you have any secrets on how to do this easier? Or how to extend the life? I have found the OEM parts the best....although the most expensive.

With an air-wrench, jack stand, and the correct sockets it is fast enough. I just got 4 of ours ready for winter storage this weekend....Will be doing 4 more over thanks giving....Will leave the rest out to play with over the winter (work).

Here is one ready to roll for next year :dancing: !

brucec32
11-25-2006, 12:15 AM
wow, I thought this would be the reason to go with the "commercial" models vs Toro's high end residentials. Those have notches cut into the deck, which do strip out, but not nearly that fast. Mechanically my Toro 21 Super Recyclers ran about 12 and 10 years, and one is still running, though they are not used full bore, but just on lawns and areas too small for other mowers. Other than a clogged carb now and then from grass in the tank, no breakdowns. The rears strip out, but never the fronts.

I'm curious, other than a heavier deck (which I consider a negative), what DO the commercial units offer at $1100 vs maybe $700 for the consumer models?

desert rose gardening
11-25-2006, 01:07 AM
I have never looked at a home owner Toro before, next time I'm at the dealer I will take a look at them and do a comparison of the two.

KY Bluegrass 03
11-25-2006, 01:49 AM
As for the front wheels becoming loose, we dropped it off our trailer and then the next week we ran over it with the truck. Took a good lick but keeps running. Problem now is I need one guy to stand on the deck to lower the wheels..

Envy Lawn Service
11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
Been telling yall forever that these Toro commercial 21's SUCK.

What a waste of money. Drive sucks, adjusters suck, aluminum deck is nice... but soft, ect.

Hopefully this winter I will finally get around to seeing if I can transplant the engine to a cheap hand mower or something. Don't know if that's possible since mine has the BBC.

z_clark
11-26-2006, 06:03 PM
These problems with the height adjusters and wheels is the ONLY problem I ever have with these commercial toros.

I think the toro 21" commercial is the best one out there (esp w/ the Honda motor on top). I have never had any drive problems at all (other than the cable). Keep in mind we are running ours full time and have over 1000 hours on most of them.

All machines have their week points...you just have to work around it and hope they come up with a better fix.

LLandscaping
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
We have three Toro Proline 21's. Our oldest is 8 yrs old still used daily and we have only replace the adjusters on the front last year. Do you change the height of cut often? We rarely change ours at the most once or twice a day.

nt1
11-26-2006, 09:05 PM
A bit of lock-tight on the threads of the wheel bolt might help.
I've heard of others using this trick but never tried it.

I think the trick would be to get the tension on the bolt right so you can still adjust the spring clips without too much effort. Then the tabs would then not "woller out" as quickly because of slack and vibrations.

Roger
11-26-2006, 09:46 PM
After one season, I was frustrated at not keeping the right bolt torque on the pivot points -- either too tight making the adjustment difficult, or too loose so the nut would not stay on. I went to the hardware store and bought jam nuts for each bold. They are thin, but will hold the nut exactly where I wanted -- just the right torque to make the pivot loose enough to move easily, but the two nuts against each other will keep them from coming loose, and off. I have never changed any other part, either the lever or the engagement strip. They have very little wear.

For me, the jam nuts worked out well. Obviously, this is a bad design feature of the mower. Other mowers have their weak design points too, and this is one for the Toro Proline mowers.

lawnprosteveo
11-26-2006, 11:08 PM
When mine get too loose, I take the wheel off..spin the adjuster upside down ( so it faces down) and then bend it towards to mower. Then I put it all back together and its alot tighter. My dealer told me about this.

desert rose gardening
11-27-2006, 01:14 AM
When mine get too loose, I take the wheel off..spin the adjuster upside down ( so it faces down) and then bend it towards to mower. Then I put it all back together and its alot tighter. My dealer told me about this.
That sounds like the ticket!