PDA

View Full Version : Replies/View ratio

cp
06-21-2001, 04:55 PM
Has anybody noticed how bad the reply to view ratio is?

I know I do a lot of looking without saying alot but to have 200+ views and only 3 replys:( .

Maybe I'm just a little typing happy today but I would think there is a lot of info out there that is not being passed along.

But as the saying goes, "it is better to be thought a fool than to", well you get the idea...;)

Just my .02

cp
06-21-2001, 04:58 PM
Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum....:rolleyes:

roscioli
06-21-2001, 05:05 PM
yeah, i was pretty dissapointed with the ratio too

cos
06-21-2001, 05:08 PM
If I responded to every post in ls, I would be on Lawn site 25 hours a day.

Avery
06-21-2001, 07:05 PM
As of late most questions do not deserve a reply. Many seem to be the rantings of juveniles with nothing better to do. Maybe this will pass when school is back in session. I for one hope so.

stslawncare
06-21-2001, 07:14 PM
As of late most questions do not deserve a reply. Many seem to be the rantings of juveniles with nothing better to do.

u mean my questions dont deserve a reply? im a juvanile, i have been active on these forums, i have posted to other messages and i have been asking a lot of questions, is this not what this forum is about? asking questions? what is wrong with me wanting to look professional (painting thread) what is wrong with me wanting to have well running equip (tuneup thread). and what about all the other guys wanting to know about getting started? something wrong with wanting to be in this field? :blob2: i find this as a very nast comment, dont want to cause trouble but what right do u have to make this type of comment?
sincerely,
a very offended juvanile who wants to learn and make money

Davis TLC
06-21-2001, 07:31 PM
Some lawnsite members may view a post to see if there is any thing that they can learn from it but may they may not have anything to contribute to the topic either due to not enough knowledge of the subject or just wishing to keep what they know to theirselves. As a moderator everytime I view a thread it increases the views, looking at the number of moderators we have now and this can add up in a hurry. In most cases we are scanning for possible violations of the posting guidelines in a post and we move on. Some new members may feel that they don't have anything to contribute until they have learned more about this business.

As far as the comment about being juvenile. We have some younger members here who act more mature than some of the older members do at times.

Lawn Wizard
06-21-2001, 07:33 PM
I dont think ti has to do with the type of posts STSLawns but many many of the same questions are asked over and over again. Not that it is a bad thing but many of the people here who do answer questions probably are getting a bit tired of "How do I get into this business" :)

Plus out of all the registered members how many are actually active? Im sure it is a small percentage of all the people that come here.

Just my $.02

KirbysLawn
06-21-2001, 07:38 PM
Scottie,

I think I know what he means, I don't think it was directed toward you. There are some folks here who I would not know they were juvenile unless they said so. I thought you were an adult actually.

I have also noticed the post lately being very "chatty" wtth no real topic and was thinking the same thing, sorry.

lawnman_scott
06-21-2001, 08:13 PM
I dont respond all that often because for example the post that jones started telling how he could underprice someone with a few employees, and a ztr. It turned into a bunch of crybabies insulting each other. One evan said he was bringing everyones prices down, like one person can do that. I try to only respond when i have something to say that hasnt already been said by someone else.

grassyfras
06-21-2001, 08:21 PM
I'm insulted lately with a lot of members taking these low shots at us younger guys. We are all here to learn. Sometimes I know the answer to someone’s question and I will then reply. I really wish this stereotyping would stop about us younger guys.

John DiMartino
06-21-2001, 08:34 PM
First off,I seldom have time to read all the posts anymore,let alone respond to them.I liked this site best when it had 1500 members,I could keep up then,to much action now,I cant keep up anymore.If i cant add anything to help the thread starter,I cant anwer the question,or what i was going to say has already been said-Ill move on to the next post,where hopefully i can help someone with a problem,or question,rather than post repeat info on every thread.

Lawn-Scapes
06-21-2001, 08:53 PM
I needed some serious help yesterday (Commercial account - some questions thread) and got about 7 replies versus 170 views. :( Another thing is a couple of the responses did not even come close to answering the questions and nobody answered all the quetions...What the F--K? I know there had to be a few LCOs that knew the answers but chose not to.... Depressing!

Avery
06-21-2001, 09:04 PM
My comment was not directed at you or any other young LCO on here stslawnscare. I commend anyone trying to learn by visiting this site. Some of the questions I see though trouble me. How can someone claim to be an LCO w/o even a basic knowledge of the business? My point was that I do not respond to questions that anyone should know. Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intent.

cp
06-21-2001, 09:51 PM
I must admit that sometimes when I get a chance to read the posts someone has already written about what I would have said in the first place. And I also realize that not everyone viewing is an LCO but I guess when I started this thread it just hit me as odd that so many people would view a post and not have something to say or add.

And I agree that the pi$$ing contests sometimes are a little annoying.

Nobody has mentiond, but I would like to know if this should have been in another forum?

GreenQuest Lawn
06-22-2001, 02:45 AM
Also if I see the answer I was going to give, I dont bother posting.

scottb
06-22-2001, 08:05 AM
Same as the above If I can help I do if I cant or someone else has already taken care of it I don't. I started a thread yesterday about the nice jobs I saw being done in Tenn. no replies but thats not why I started it, I was just saying nice job.

awm
06-22-2001, 08:14 AM
awe get on outa here.we oldtimers just wishing we were stiil young.
only got so many sunrises in life.i probably got a lot less than you.
good luck an have a good one.later.

KD'sLawns
06-22-2001, 08:15 AM
I do not mind getting/giving advice to juveniles as long as the advice is helpful to the thread. I feel that this should be a paid membership site though, that would alleviate some of the nonsense traffic. Many of the juveniles would not mind paying $30.00 for information. The ones that did mind the membership fee would not bother to even come here. You realize that at the rate that people are doing this for a living, in about 7-10 years the will be a LCO on every block.

roscioli
06-22-2001, 11:14 AM
Waaa Waaa Waaaa. I dont mean to be a jerk, but i am so sick of hearing complaints about "Scrubs". Who on here started with over $10,000 worth of equipment (not including truck)? Who here started with more than 10 accounts? Correct me if I am wrong, but NOBODY! Everyone starts as a "scrub", and few make it to become a real LCO. I have never heard so much complaining about competition. DO you think we complain in the restaurant biz when some moron thinks they will become instantly rich by opening a hot dog stand? HA! If we did, we would all be dead. If they arent professional, they go out of business, quit complaining. Sorry to be a jerk, but seriously folks, its ridiculous. I love this site, i have learned more in the past month here than reading every article about lawn care I can find, but there are so many useless posts of complaining that it sickens me. Sorry, but just my 2cents.

KirbysLawn
06-22-2001, 12:34 PM
Roscioli,

What are you talking about? You are the first one to type the "SCRUB" word here, that was not the topic.

It just seems kids are posting more and they all want us to know what they did today. That is not commercial lawn care concerns.

roscioli
06-22-2001, 02:49 PM
Sorry, was just in a bad mood this morning. I read a couple of other threads with complaints about scrubs, then happened to be in this one when i went over the edge. So yes, wrong thread, maybe i should have started a new one to complain about the complaints :rolleyes:

cos
06-22-2001, 02:58 PM
Alot of times I don't answer threads cause I don't think that my reply would even help. If there is a question that I don't know the answer to, how can I reply to it. I sometimes will read posts, just to learn from them and sometimes give a reply to help, and often will poke fun to break the monatiny.

MOW ED
06-23-2001, 10:03 PM
I will reply just so you don't think I am a LURKER.

I need the posts anyway to get to 2000;)

Eric ELM
06-23-2001, 10:18 PM
I will also reply, this thread is getting off topic and I think you have hashed out the reason why some get more replies than others. It seems that the ones that turn into spitting contests end up getting the most replies. Can't we all just get along? :)

A good example of a thread getting lots of views to posts ratio is the Stripes 2001, almost 5,000 views and only 113 posts. This doesn't make it all bad.

You have to remember, most of us are working during the days and come home tired and we don't even have enough energy to post. :(