PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on Flex forks

Grass Kickin
11-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I've read the other thread but I'm still on the fence about putting them on my 60" Super Z and 52" Z

I would like to hear from anyone who is not affiliated with Hustler about their experiences in the field with them. Comfort, durability, practicality....etc.

mulligant
11-23-2006, 07:34 PM
I have the flex forks on my 52" mini z and they make a slight difference in ride quality. They haven't positively or negatively affected my cut quality. If I were you I would wait until the flex seat comes out in the spring. The flex forks can only help so much because they only absorb the shock for the front of the mower which will help with small bumps and quick changes of the ground slightly up and down. From my own personal experience bad ride quality comes from large holes, bumps, etc. that are large enough for the back tires to drop down into. When the operator seat is almost directly over the rear wheels pretty much all of the shock that the back wheels take is transferred to the operator. So, that leads me to believe that changing to a flex seat and/or suspension seat if you don't have one would improve the ride quality better than the flex forks. They do make a small difference so if you can then go with the flex forks, suspension seat, and flex seat. Also, something that I did to my mini Z last week was fill the rear tires almost full with windshield wiper fluid and then added 5 lbs of air. Man what a difference it made. The tires now absorb some of the smaller bumps instead of being so sensitive to every little bump. It cost me $20 to do that. Ten for the fluid and ten to have a tire shop break down the tires and fill them for me. Great $20 spent in my opinion. Hope this helps.

-Tyler

MGV
11-25-2006, 01:33 AM
I have them on my 2006 60" Super Z. I have no complaints with them. The machine rides so smooth I don't want to get back on my Toro Z-Master. I have had no issues with the quality of the cut. Durability ?? I have only used them for 1 season...but no problems so far. For me they were a option I'm glad I got.

puppypaws
11-25-2006, 08:22 PM
I've read the other thread but I'm still on the fence about putting them on my 60" Super Z and 52" Z

I would like to hear from anyone who is not affiliated with Hustler about their experiences in the field with them. Comfort, durability, practicality....etc.I am not affiliated with Hustler in any way, I am probably a good bit older than you and mow some pretty rough areas. The Flex Forks are worth the money, I really can't explain how much better it rides until you try them for yourself but I can tell you I have owned 3 Super Z's without them and there is no comparison. The rubber in mine fatigued over a period of time and I started noticing more up and down motion so my dealer replaced them at 152 hours. This had probably started before it reached 100 hrs. but it happens so gradually you know there is something different but it doesn't sink in until it gets bad enough to notice the circles when it dips. Put a set on the Super Z and compare it against the regular Z, this way you can make your own comparison because you can run a lot faster with the Super Z which will cause a rougher ride except for the difference in seats. When they are new measure from the bottom of the blade to flat concrete and write this measurement down, make sure the air pressure is exactly what you run normally. Document your measurements about every 25 hrs. with everything being equal and you can tell if the rubber is fatiguing, Hustler will try to tell you they will settle into there on set wear pattern and want go any farther. This may be true but you will find out after they do settle they have lost a lot of their original strength and the front end will have more up and down motion plus the ride want be nearly as good.