PDA

View Full Version : 2-Cycle Equipment

LakeCountry
06-21-2001, 04:14 PM
Looking for some suggestions on what brands to purchase and so forth. I would like to stay consistent for ease of servicing, but is one brand really much better than the other?

I need:

Trimmers
Edger
BackPack blower
Hedge trimmers
Chain Saw

Whatever else you guys use, let me know so I can see if it fits in our services...

Thanks for the input, I am only about ten days away from buying all of this stuff!!!

Cutter1
06-21-2001, 04:30 PM
If you want to stay consistant with all of those pieces you want, I would go with Stihl. I use Shindaiwa trimmers, blowers, but I like the stihl chainsaws and hedgetrimmers. The Stihl trimmers and blowers are good and reliable, but I'm just a shindaiwa fan.

TJLC
06-21-2001, 05:36 PM
Opinions, I would think will vary on this one. Have you tried the search feature?

Avery
06-21-2001, 06:00 PM
Stihl

mdb landscaping
06-21-2001, 06:05 PM
i currenty use a stihl br400 back pack blower and an echo split shaft trimmer. i recommend stihl. their back back blowers are awesome, and i know people who have had em running for more than 14 yrs. if you are partial to staying with one line, i guess you could try stihls new split shaft trimmer. i know some guys on here are set on having a dedicated trimmer, edger etc. , but i bought the edger attachment, power broom and trimmer head for my echo and it has worked out awesome. you unscrew one part and switch the heads in a second. stihl has been out for many years and are great pieces of machinery.

shorty7616
06-21-2001, 06:14 PM
I am going to recommend something that many will not see it as an option: Ryobi. I have used their weedeaters for three years now, not much maintenance, no problems, very economical, many accesories, and the customer service is great.

awm
06-21-2001, 06:20 PM
its my opinion that the proper mix is more important than the brand you buy. for me its high octane and stihl or echo 50-1

TFL
06-21-2001, 06:58 PM
JOHN DEERE:D

lawnman_scott
06-21-2001, 07:22 PM
I would definatly not go with ryobi, i bought them when i started, and a big waste of money, they are for homeowners, and hard to get fixed. My choice would be stihl. whatever you choose i would buy all one brand whatever it is. The reason for this is that if you back your truck over your edger on a friday afternoon, you can use the weedeater, just switch off the heads the rest of the day, and then after you replace it you will have some spare parts that you will need one day, carb, gastank, something.

jnjnlc
06-21-2001, 09:35 PM
I would go with Stihl. The warranty is great and the equipment is too. I have Husquavarna trimmer, Maruyama Hedge Trimmer and blower.

One note of advice. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER run straight gas in a two cycle engine. The results are not good. I had someone working with me to do that. They neglected to tell me.

ChadsLawn
06-21-2001, 10:28 PM
shindawia all the way for edgers and trimmers...stihl for blowers..shin blowers suk in my opinion

EJK2352
06-21-2001, 10:37 PM
REDMAX

JJ Lawn
06-21-2001, 11:17 PM
Just wondering why.....

There is very little mention of the Maruyama brand of tools. Are they not available everywhere? Are they too expensive? Or just don't like them?

I use Maruyama brand trimmers, edgers, blowers, hedge trimmers, pole saw. Some of the finest tools I have used. I have a blower that is over 5 yrs old that still runs like new. It's beat all to heck but still runs. I have never had to take a piece back to dealer for repair or replacement. I just do normal maintenance, change plug everyone in a while and keep filters clean, and clean exhaust ports. They will always start with one or two pulls, and most are over 3 years old. I did have to buy a new hedge trimmer the other day as someone wanted my old one more than me.

Jim

scottt
06-22-2001, 12:17 AM
ChadsLawn,
Just wondering why you don't like shindaiwa blowers. I have and eb630. I think that's the right name, it's their biggest one. Anyway, I have tested it next to a br400 and there was no comparison. My shindaiwa had way more power, and I've had it two years and no problems yet.

scottb
06-22-2001, 10:32 AM
Dealer support again is far more important than Brand what does your favorite dealer carry. I agree buy all one brand or at least shop at only one dealer will save you lots of time.

Bower's
06-22-2001, 11:49 AM
i have to agree with scott about shin blowers, i have the eb 500 little guy and it starts much easier as well as outperforms my buddies stihl. just my opinion but i believe shindawa has a real nice blower.

LakeCountry
06-22-2001, 02:37 PM
thanks so much for the feedback! I am going to be shopping for the equipment in a week, so now I know some brands to shoot for and others to ignore. I just got a bonus from my full-time job so I will be able to get it all in one shot so I am very excited!

Keep 'em coming, I want to be sure I get what is best...

I like the idea of the Stihl being able to swap components!