PDA

View Full Version : First time poster needs advice...............

BAMARED
06-21-2001, 05:14 PM
Hello,
I am interested in knowing if some of the experienced folks here can give me a few good tips/advice as far as starting up a part-time lawn care business?
I work a full time, regular job and have developed a very small customer-base where I've been mowing their lawns once every week or once every other week, depending on the rain amount. It has generated me a little extra $ and I certainly do not mind the work (beings that I sit at a desk all day at my "real job.") At any rate, I'm interested in increasing my customer base and was wondering if there are any ideas that you guys could share with me. So far the business that I have generated has been the result of me taping flyers to their mailboxes. I got it figured that for every 100 flyers that I put out, I'll get 2 yards. Not a very good ratio. I thought about advertising in the local paper but it is already full of experienced, professionals that would make me look "flemsy." I would also, if possible, be interesting in cutting yards that only those customers that want me to mow their lawn for the rest of the season and possibly next season - no vacationers or one time customers if possible (for obvious reasons.)
Any ideas?

Thank you very much,

S. Parsons

TJLC
06-21-2001, 06:39 PM
Haved you tried a search on this?

65hoss
06-21-2001, 06:41 PM
Do a search. You can find almost anything on this subject.

100 flyers to 2 customers is really very good. Most of us haven't found this to be true. Ask your current customers if they know people that would be interested in your services. Word of mouth will get you the best customers that will be loyal. By the time you get to them, they will already be ready to take your price.

Eric

cp
06-21-2001, 09:59 PM
Yes, try doing a search on the subject.

As for the flyers, "If you make them, THEY will come" :D

Flyers work, but it takes a lot, and don't think that once you cover a certain area that the well is dry...been in one subdivision for a while and still put out flyers every now and then..just to let them know that I'm still there:) :)

Make sure you have insurance!!

Good Luck.Chris.

awm
06-23-2001, 11:20 PM
make each lawn look as good as you can learn how to.word of mouth is a powerful advertiseing tool.i guess you know not to cut to short
no matter what homeowner wants,sharp blades and many other things .like they said search every facet of the buisiness in the
search mode.