PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rubber tracks

Henry
11-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Anyone have info on how to install new tracks on a Cat 257 MTL?

gammon landscaping
11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
well it is pretty simple you just have to back the adjusters off jack the machine up and slide the tracks off the side. when you do you need to look at all the rollers and idler and replace as needed should be bolt on stuff

Henry
11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the reply, but it's not that simple. The Cat/ASV tracks are different from all other brands. I found out that an idler has to be removed and a special tool is needed.

Digdeep
11-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Henry,

I don't own a CAT 257, but I own an RC50 with the same undercarriage. I use two tools I got from my dealer and it's really easy. First you have to put hte machine up on blocks (5-10 minutes). Then you have to collapse the drive table by taking a 1 7/8 wrench and loosen the turnbuckle (3-5 miutes). Then the large front bogie needs to be pulled off. You can use a snap ring plier and a needle nose to do this. Once the bearing cap is off (3-5 minutes) you can use a socket to get the nut off of the axle spindle. Then I use a wheel puller. It's a long slide hammer that allows you to pull the wheel off without damaging the seal (this takes about 2-3 minutes). Once the front large wheel is removed you can pull the track off (1-3 minutes). the whole process takes maybe 25 minutes the first time you do this. I can take my track off in under 15-20 minutes. It's a really simple procedure. the steps are reversed to put the track back on. Just make sure that you follow the torque specs when you tighten the nut back onto the axle spindle. Good luck.

Henry
11-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Digdeep, thanks for the info. I've made it to where I need to get the idler back on but can't seem to get it in there. What exactly does the tool do? I called an ASV dealer that is close to me and was told it can be done without it be we just can't get the idler back in the track.

Digdeep
11-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Henry,

The tool fits into the outside of the hub and allows you to push (it's a lever) the wheel up onto the axle spindle without wrecking the rear seal. You'll also need a smooth nut (I think it is called an Acorn nut...it's smooth on the outside) that goes onto the axle spindle threads to cover them up. I don't know how you could do it without the tool. Mybe they would let you borrow it?

Henry
11-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks again. I called my mobile mechanic and we got them on this morning. We managed to pry against the idler to position them and slid them on without damage. I guess I just needed another brain to figure it out. My guys are great at hardscapes but no mechanical sense whatsoever.