PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys mow for your teachers?

LawnInOrder
11-22-2006, 08:46 AM
For the younger guys that are in school do any of you guys do that. For the older wiser guys, is it a good idea, like would business bewteen a certain teacher chnage the grade she/ he gives me? I have had alot of teachers ask me in teh past to mow. Most of them live like 5 minutes by car, but they are crossin main roads so i can;t use my current set-, which is teh golf cart, but for next year i told i would give them an estimate. So basiclly i am asking, am i gunna screw myself in the long run with mowing for teaqchers? like is it gunna affect my grade if we get into a money iussee:hammerhead: . Anyways a past teacher asked me to come by today to do a clean-up, said she would by $100 a hour without me even saying my hourly rate. She is a good tacher so i won;t charge here to much lol.... Let me get ur take on it. Thanks LawnInOrder

KS_Grasscutter
11-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Yea, I mow weekly for a teacher I had last trimester. I also do aerating and other odd jobs for my life science teacher that I had last year. In the past I have mowed or done cleanups for a few other teachers too. Never really had anything bad happend because of it, but I can see where ther would be a little bit of a problem maybe to get into a disagreement in the middle of the trimester or something.

ALarsh
11-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I cut the superintendent of the school's lawn... does that count?

newz7151
11-22-2006, 09:53 AM
You might want to offer free cuts to your English and Grammar teachers...

Dstosh
11-22-2006, 11:11 AM

Good one.

On a lighter note. I have done work for teachers before, take your time and do a good job, it will be worth it.

topsites
11-22-2006, 12:15 PM
For the older wiser guys, is it a good idea, like would business bewteen a certain teacher chnage the grade she/ he gives me?

As a rule no and it shouldn't, but it could happen...
So if you think it will (or if it does or you suspect it), I would advise steering clear from that relationship and move along, as it wouldn't be healthy either way. It may happen with one teacher or another, and if that is the case then going with someone else shouldn't, but if it happens constantly, then perhaps you should take a look in the mirror (not to be smart, just saying).

As for a money issue, best I can tell you is do it by the cut, get paid for each and every cut and then if they don't pay you might have to let it go just to keep the peace (and so if it affects your grade it shouldn't hurt, but don't expect it to help as it probably won't).

If you keep things strictly business, while it could affect you some kind of way, this would also be an excellent way to learn how to separate your business from life, so to speak (which isn't always such an easy thing to do).
This lesson would come in handy later, such as when separating work from home.

Evan528
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
When I was still in school I did landscape work for the township superintendant, my principal and several teachers. Became quite interesting to see just how diffrent these people were out of school. My 11th grade Science teacher would come outside and smoke a cigarette with me. At the time when your still in school you always assume that teachers are perfect little angels..... It really caught me off guard when my principal walked outside with a beer in his hand and jokingly offerd me one. You will see a whole diffrent side of these people....they are human also!

I still enjoy running into old teachers at a bar and getting hammerd with them! :laugh:

daveintoledo
11-22-2006, 04:51 PM
if you are, then no, you never work fro friends, family , or neighbors, .... nothing but trouble... in fact do a search on the subject and you will see...

MSS Mow
11-22-2006, 06:55 PM
if you are, then no, you never work fro friends, family , or neighbors, .... nothing but trouble... in fact do a search on the subject and you will see...

Being selective and cautious is one thing. If I took your advice, I wouldn't have any customers. In small towns, almost everyone is either a friend, family member or a neighbor. In fact, in my experience, the closer I am to the person, the better customer they are.

In larger populated areas, being selective would be easier, but not in my neck of the woods. Home town population less than 500.

Also, to the original poster, Definately mow for your teachers. Just treat them with respect and do a good job for a fair price, and you'll have no problems. They already respect your work ethic.

HenryB
11-22-2006, 08:37 PM
In the past I've mowed for some great teachers who were also great human beings. The big mystery: working for them was a complete disaster.:cry: . No more former teachers for me. They are so used to lecturing and not listening they make for bad custumers.

Turfdude
11-22-2006, 10:10 PM
koo koo ka-choo Mrs. Robinson!

green_with_envy
11-22-2006, 10:40 PM

OMFG....LOL!

Big Bad Bob
11-23-2006, 02:38 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Big Bad Bob
11-23-2006, 02:42 AM
As for a money issue, best I can tell you is do it by the cut, get paid for each and every cut and then if they don't pay you might have to let it go just to keep the peace (and so if it affects your grade it shouldn't hurt, but don't expect it to help as it probably won't).

If you keep things strictly business, while it could affect you some kind of way, this would also be an excellent way to learn how to separate your business from life, so to speak (which isn't always such an easy thing to do).
This lesson would come in handy later, such as when separating work from home.

Any teacher who would do that should be banned from teaching. :angry:

godzilla
11-23-2006, 08:45 AM
I'd suggest not working for teachers. It's not worth it. Been there, and done that. Nothing but troubles, and until you are out of school you kind of have to deal with them. The teachers I did work for in the past... nothing but two faced jerks.

mike lane lawn care
11-23-2006, 10:38 AM
i did some mowing for my history teacher last year. It was kept on a strictly professional level. in school i was Michael Lane, a good student, outside of school I was Mike Lane, a landscaper. Just make like you do with you other customers, bill the same, charge the same, and everything is fine. A good teacher is also a good person, they will have no problem keeping things professional. Just let them know that you want to do this, theyy'll be very pleased.

Signature Landscaping1
11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Most of my teachers are Lco's.

LawnInOrder
11-23-2006, 11:00 AM
well i went to my art teachers house to do a clean up. She told me "there aren;t alot of leaves on the ground and there is no grass in the backyard" We all know that usually it means" There is a Sh*t load of leaves and my backyard is the size of texas." Well to my surprise when i got there, there wasn;t much leaves on the ground. The ground and was covered and the beds had alot of leaves in them. It took me 1h 30min to do the job with the redmax8000. It came out really nice. So anyways I charged her $90( 60/hr is what i charge). She gave me an extra $10 for a tip, so in total gave me $100. On top of all that the guy next door wants me to start cutting next year:cool2: . So i picked up 2 accounts this week. Not to bad.

On another note, I figured most of the guys would say stay away. I know that business, really just money, can ruin a good relationship with a teacher. I will see how it goes. Many teachers i have want me to mow. i am just waiting on getting a truck. Thanks for the advice and i will keep it in mind.

One last question for those of you who that mowed for teachers: out of the teachers you mowed for, how many have you had bad tensions with? Thanks for all the replies. LawnInOrder

daveintoledo
11-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Being selective and cautious is one thing. If I took your advice, I wouldn't have any customers. In small towns, almost everyone is either a friend, family member or a neighbor. In fact, in my experience, the closer I am to the person, the better customer they are.

In larger populated areas, being selective would be easier, but not in my neck of the woods. Home town population less than 500.

Also, to the original poster, Definately mow for your teachers. Just treat them with respect and do a good job for a fair price, and you'll have no problems. They already respect your work ethic.

im actually in a very small town also.... for me the rule still stands, no friends, family or neighbors..... like i said,.. if you do a search on the subject you will find hundreds of horror stories, too close to home,

people should be fair but they are not.. piss of a teacher or neighbor, see how difficult your life can become really fast....

mdvaden
11-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I only worked for one teacher one time. A previous teacher.

It was my first grade teacher, and I pruned trees for here - 35 years since I had last seen her.

Mrs. Lion was her name.

MSS Mow
11-24-2006, 09:17 AM
im actually in a very small town also.... for me the rule still stands, no friends, family or neighbors..... like i said,.. if you do a search on the subject you will find hundreds of horror stories, too close to home,

people should be fair but they are not.. piss of a teacher or neighbor, see how difficult your life can become really fast....

Oh I've read the horror stories on here. There are tons of them. I just didn't think it was fair to not present the other side. I have been very successful serving friends, family and neighbors. That's not to say that it couldn't change in the future, but if I dropped all my friends, family, and neighbors, I'd have to drop 3/4 of my clients. I'd be out of business!!!

I figured you were in the Toledo area, hence your name??? Toledo is not a "small town".

You're right that people are not always fair. Not much we can do about that except move on.

Anyway, best of luck to you in the future.

LawnInOrder
11-24-2006, 11:55 AM
haha for you gusy that think you live in a small town, i live in a 1 square mile town. Yup, 1 square mile. It is called carle place. People 10 minutes away from me dometimes nevera have heard about whereI live. There liek you live where? So in my case everyone knows everyone, and knows exactly what you do and say. It is pretty good town, becasue i get 7/8 of my accounts by refeerals. I have nevera put out flyers and i have around 20 accounts. Anyways, I am not gunna j8ump on jobs for my teachers but i will take sum jobs for my ex-terachers, like ones from past years. Thanks for teh advice. LawnInOrder

BTW- my english teacher did ask me to mow her lawn lol