PDA

View Full Version : Redmax gear box shot. what trimmer to get?

S man
11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I brougt my redmax trimmer to the dealer to see about the problems with the shaft and gear box. He said it needs a new gear box and might need some other work. He priced the gearbox at $90 without the labor and whatever else is wrong with it. It makes me mad because I spend over 300 on it thinking I'm getting a indestructable unit. But I guess I'm wrong. If anybody wants it, let me know. Besides the work needed it is in great condition and has a strong engine. It's a bcz2600s.

What trimmer should I now get? I have never owned a cable or flex shaft unit. Are they just as good and easier to repair than the steel shaft? I was thinking of the stihl fs80r, echo srm210, or maybe a maruyama. I want something good but affordable. Any suggestions and advice are welcomed.

Scott

lazer 46
11-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Is the trimmer more than 2 years old? I thought they had two year warranties on the Red Max. I've got three of them including a new 2600. Put coils in the first two after many years of service but that was all.

Quality Cuts PLS
11-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I'll take that trimmer off your hands if you don't want it. I'm in Gonzales, not too far from you.

Quality Cuts PLS
11-22-2006, 08:14 PM
You might want to look at Shindiawa, T261 - I have had several with absolutely zero problems, engine or shaft related, they also come with the Speed-Feed head standard now, and have a blade capable model.

newz7151
11-22-2006, 09:12 PM
You might want to look at Shindiawa, T261 -.

But request the T260.

Just Mow
11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
The Stihl FS80R is a powerful unit that runs nice. I have 6 of them and like them. Light and no problems with the cable drive plus it comes with a lifetime shaft warranty.

S man
11-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I'll take that trimmer off your hands if you don't want it. I'm in Gonzales, not too far from you.

Sure just bring $175 with you.

The Stihl FS80R is a powerful unit that runs nice. I have 6 of them and like them. Light and no problems with the cable drive plus it comes with a lifetime shaft warranty.

Yes I am leaning towards all stihl. Can the echo 210, or 230 compare to the fs80r?

Just Mow
11-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Sure just bring $175 with you.

Yes I am leaning towards all stihl. Can the echo 210, or 230 compare to the fs80r?
The FS80R is 25.4 cc and over 1hp.
The 210 is 21cc under 3/4 hp even though they don't list hp on web or brochure and 230 is 22 cc unit.
Also the Stihl has a three shoe clutch with lifetime warranty.
Echo, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Kawi, two shoe clutch no life warranty.
I am probably not a lot of help to some people because I only run Stihl products. But they are powerful and last so I see no need to switch and my dealer has always taken care of me.
Good luck

S man
11-23-2006, 12:50 AM
The FS80R is 25.4 cc and over 1hp.
The 210 is 21cc under 3/4 hp even though they don't list hp on web or brochure and 230 is 22 cc unit.
Also the Stihl has a three shoe clutch with lifetime warranty.
Echo, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Kawi, two shoe clutch no life warranty.
I am probably not a lot of help to some people because I only run Stihl products. But they are powerful and last so I see no need to switch and my dealer has always taken care of me.
Good luck

Yes I see. But kawi and shin to my knowledge do have lifetime staft warranties. I seem sold on the fs80. Might get it before the mowing season next year.

ITL
11-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Scott

Couple of questions to help understand the problem. We have same trimmer that has been in use for one season for light trimming (no heavy weeds or brush cutting) and have been pleased with it so far. Any idea on estimated use time before the gear box failure? Did you add grease to the gearbox through the zerk fitting.

Couple of other thoughts, check to make sure the warranty has expired before using your own money. Now that we are going into non-use season, if your comfortable wrenching you might take the cover off to see what is wrong. Possibly a few internal parts and could fix for much less.

Wayne

metro36
11-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Get a echo SRM- 260. They are good trimmers. I will be getting one next season.

S man
11-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Scott

Couple of questions to help understand the problem. We have same trimmer that has been in use for one season for light trimming (no heavy weeds or brush cutting) and have been pleased with it so far. Any idea on estimated use time before the gear box failure? Did you add grease to the gearbox through the zerk fitting.

Couple of other thoughts, check to make sure the warranty has expired before using your own money. Now that we are going into non-use season, if your comfortable wrenching you might take the cover off to see what is wrong. Possibly a few internal parts and could fix for much less.

Wayne

I might look into what is wrong. But am willing to sell to anyone who wants it. $175.00.

Get a echo SRM- 260. They are good trimmers. I will be getting one next season.

I was looking at those but would prefer the stihl. The stihl costs less and has a better warranty.

metro36
11-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Echo has a 2 year commercial warranty. What does stihl have?

S man
11-24-2006, 04:02 PM

1 year commercial. Lifetime on the clutch and shaft. three shoe instead of two shoe.

Check this out. I don't see two year commercial.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=SRM-260S&Category=TRIMMER

metro36
11-24-2006, 04:40 PM
When I got my blower my dealer told me I have a two year warranty. I am a commercial guy and he knows that so I believe what he says.

pugs
11-24-2006, 05:35 PM
When I got my blower my dealer told me I have a two year warranty. I am a commercial guy and he knows that so I believe what he says.

Blowers are a different story. Alot of backpacks now have 2 year commercial warranties. The string trimmers I dunno about. I know Tanaka is still 1 year on those...but I think that is changing soon. Their BIG backpacks are 2 year. The 7600 and 7800 and a few of their other products as well are 2 year commercial.

ed2hess
11-24-2006, 06:19 PM
1 year commercial. Lifetime on the clutch and shaft. three shoe instead of two shoe.

Check this out. I don't see two year commercial.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=SRM-260S&Category=TRIMMER
The Echo clutch shoes only cost $25 and under normal situation will last a couple years if you run with the guard on and they are very very easy to replace. I have yet to have a flex/solid shart go out on an Echo in many many years of use, but I think they have life time warranty. The SRM210 is hardly a commericial unit. If you wore out that Redmax in two years you better go with something like the Echo SRM261T is has a high torque gear box.

S man
11-24-2006, 07:14 PM
The Echo clutch shoes only cost $25 and under normal situation will last a couple years if you run with the guard on and they are very very easy to replace. I have yet to have a flex/solid shart go out on an Echo in many many years of use, but I think they have life time warranty. The SRM210 is hardly a commericial unit. If you wore out that Redmax in two years you better go with something like the Echo SRM261T is has a high torque gear box.

Thanks for the info. I do like the high end echos but don't see that they carry a lifetime warranty. I'll have to check with the dealer. Do you think the fs80r is just as good as the srm261t?

Metro, if you're a commercial guy, why don't you have a commercial 21? If you like your sp, you'll like the proline.

Just Mow
11-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I might look into what is wrong. But am willing to sell to anyone who wants it. $175.00.

I was looking at those but would prefer the stihl. The stihl costs less and has a better warranty.
Don't forget more power.

Just Mow
11-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Echo has 1 yr commercial warranty.

Just Mow
11-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Why would you want to pay for the clutch shoes when they are warrantied by Stihl on their units. The 261T does not have the torque of the Fs100RX nor does it have the line speed or the power. Should I go on............

Envy Lawn Service
11-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Well CRAP! I was afraid of this.
I have the same unit.

Did it go at the head or at the engine/clutch?
Mine makes a clacking sound on the engine end at high rpm.

Anyways, as I was saying... go back and read my posts... I said I could tell right off that these were nice trimmers, but as far as a brawny build is concerned... THEY ARE NO STIHL.

The FS80 is the same bulletproof unit as the FS85's I've ran hard for years. Same unit except the driveshaft, which should lighten it up. It's not blade capable or attachment capable though.

I've been running the 85's since 2002 I think, and so far, other than normal stuff like fuel lines and carb kits (diaphrams, ect)... total other problems I had were one carb had to be totally replaced, and I had one go down with a sheared flywheel key... which is the one I'm using the 2600 as a trial replacement for.

If you just trim grass, yeah I think the FS80 will make you a good machine.

Anyways, Robin is one other I can think of right off that hasn't been mentioned. You can get their 8 pound NB020 with a steel shaft for just over $200. It's only a 20cc unit though.

DixieFerris
11-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Just get another Redmax and stop acting like the world is out to get you. THings happen to all machines

S man
11-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Well CRAP! I was afraid of this.
I have the same unit.

Did it go at the head or at the engine/clutch?
Mine makes a clacking sound on the engine end at high rpm.

Anyways, as I was saying... go back and read my posts... I said I could tell right off that these were nice trimmers, but as far as a brawny build is concerned... THEY ARE NO STIHL.

The FS80 is the same bulletproof unit as the FS85's I've ran hard for years. Same unit except the driveshaft, which should lighten it up. It's not blade capable or attachment capable though.

I've been running the 85's since 2002 I think, and so far, other than normal stuff like fuel lines and carb kits (diaphrams, ect)... total other problems I had were one carb had to be totally replaced, and I had one go down with a sheared flywheel key... which is the one I'm using the 2600 as a trial replacement for.

If you just trim grass, yeah I think the FS80 will make you a good machine.

Anyways, Robin is one other I can think of right off that hasn't been mentioned. You can get their 8 pound NB020 with a steel shaft for just over $200. It's only a 20cc unit though.

Mine has a loose sound toward the head and gearbox. The clutch seems fine. It sounds like the shaft is loose and vibrates when running.

Speaking of stihl, The fs90r looks good too for an extra 50 bucks.

S man
11-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Bump. I have an update with the trimmer. I called the original dealer that I got it from and they said it is under warranty and might be fixed free. I'll give an update when I bring it in.